[Archive] The Private Army of Lorenzo Lupo - A Tilean Blog

AGPO:

The paymaster’s guard are one of the best units in the DoW army. I did mine by featuring halberd-armed models from as many races and ranges as possible

Willmark:

Great army Dude, who the hell did I miss this?

al-hashut:

well, what a week. After a screw up from the submissions office i was found severely lacking when the submission dates for coursework were put forward. So after a few sleepless nights (literally) and two essays written (one on Thucydides and Machiavelli, the other detailing british foreign policy from Suez 1956 to present) i decided to have a nice little painting session (after i’d caught up on some sleep of course).

So, here’s the paymaster, pip, still need to add more detail to the shield as well as a few touchups.

Let’s hear what you think

Gelli:

halflings, yay! sounds like you’ve had it hard (bl**dy essays…) but nice looking army so far. Like the DIY pikemen, and there made better by the fact that those empire spearmen models are OOP so they look even more individual. Oh and do you have any fluff surrounding the fact you’ve got a halfling paymaster?

al-hashut:

Well, after a long break from the Tileans and getting bitten by the painting bug over GHVI, i decided to get a move on a do some more. I managed to get hold of borgio the besieger for a pittance, so i can afford to paint another character before moving onto the the blocks of pikemen.

So here’s a PIP of Lorenzo himself. I still need to do a few touch ups (evidently) but i mainly need approval on the overall look. Is he too bronze?

Also, should i do a latin phrase or a greco-roman pattern on his cloak?

Kera foehunter:

great job !!! Al i like the color you used

are you going to a total dow army???

al-hashut:

Little update, greek pattern running along the border

also speed painted a tester for one of the pike blocks? What do you guys think? Do they need to be more varied akin to the great Marienberg blogs floating around, but keeping to the red/green/white scheme?

Cheers Kera, i’m hoping to do a small army, mostly for display as i like the perry sculpts so much. Very fun to paint and i haven’t had a mostly metal army for years now.

chrishorrorshow:

As a longtime DOW player, i fully endorse this endeavor. Man, that Lorenzo Lupo model is great. The pattern on his cape works really well. Good stuff!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Looking good. Lorenzo Lupo is based on Greek generals, so I’d say Greek, Also, will he get the shield? As for too bronze, perhaps lighten his skin slightly and it’ll be fine, else golden the armour a little. It’s just that the two tones are very close. I’d say do the armour as he’d be of a tanned persuasion in reality. The blocks are looking good, but maybe needs on extra colour to brighten them a little. Maybe have each one with a bit of red somewhere, e.g. a red stripe in the same place on each model instead of green/white… Maybe red helmets/belts or something?

Captain Crayon:

Yeah maybe a touch of red somewhere would be nice :slight_smile:

Lorenzo always struck me as a roman style character…

Didn’t the later roman centurians have the sideways crest like he does?

Kera foehunter:

i have a paymaster and afew groups

but i love those slayer pirates

Hashut’s Blessing:

Captain Crayon, yes they did, but so did some Greeks (if I remember rightly. One of the states did, anyway.) and the greeks used the two piece torso plates, moulded to show muscles. Also he has a round shield, which wasn’t used by Romans and it has the motif of a gorgon on it (a Greek was famous for using a shield to kill Medusa).

Captain Crayon:

Captain Crayon, yes they did, but so did some Greeks (if I remember rightly. One of the states did, anyway.) and the greeks used the two piece torso plates, moulded to show muscles. Also he has a round shield, which wasn't used by Romans and it has the motif of a gorgon on it (a Greek was famous for using a shield to kill Medusa).

Hashut's Blessing
There you go :)

My historical knowledge of the roman empire is limited to watching the entire series of 'rome' while furiously painted squigs, and Asterix and Obelix comics...

Hashut’s Blessing:

I had a soft spot for them :stuck_out_tongue: Plus, we repeatedly re-enacted the Battle of Benfleet. We go to make Roman shields and spears. It was basically LARP/re-enactment :stuck_out_tongue: So uber… Primary school FTW!

al-hashut:

Right, an update.

Played with the colours of the pikemen to make them look more ragtag/interesting, and not too uniform.

and painted up a couple of marksmen (the one with the eye patch is my favourite so far, depth perception problems aside)

Kera foehunter:

great job i like the colors the rag tag. great job on the eyes al

Hashut’s Blessing:

That additional red breaks up the monotony of the colour nicely and the random sections painted in that way are a nice way to make the unit feel more individualised. Kudos!

al-hashut:

Cheers Kera and HB.

Here’s Maximillion Damark himself

Kera foehunter:

Al is that some type of a disign on his base???

Hashut’s Blessing:

Not a problem. Glad to be of service and I hope ya prefer the new colours :wink: That Damark looks excellent, though it seems Van Gogh has tripped at his feet :wink: He looks very detailed in terms of the painting though! Kudos…