[Archive] (The Return of) The Black Host of Lord Zhurduz

Thommy H:

Dharkhaz Blackheart, riding Zharrig’zhur’az

Dharkhaz is a young, but powerful, Sorcerer. Sadly, his power is limited to magic and he wields little influence in the Temple of Hashut through a simple accident of birth: he is descended from a line of politically inept Sorcerers who squandered their power in the past, leaving him with a tiny household guard and little territory. Dharkhaz is ambitious though, and has sought out Zhurduz as the only man who can give him the power he needs. Zhurduz benefits from the patronage of Dharkhaz too, but the alliance is one of convenience. Away from the Dark Lands, where success is less assured, how long before the fragile union falls apart?

Dharkhaz might be a bit more successful keeping Zhurduz in line now he has Zharrig’zhur’az, his mighty Lammasu. Two things about this figure: first, the guy I bought it from on ebay disassembled it so he could post it, and the little stud that fixed his foot to the base came off with the base instead of the leg, so he wasn’t very stable. To solve that, he leans with his fore-claw on a rock, which I created using the following steps:

1) Get rock.

2) Stick rock to base.

3) Paint rock.

The other weird thing is the skin. I know what you’re asking yourselves: "Hey, Thommy, how did you get that glossy effect? Did you use enamel paints or just layer on lots of gloss varnish after it was painted? Tell us your secret!"

Well I wish I could. He just turned out that way. It was a total accident. I used foundation paints (Mecrite Red) and painted how I always do (I’ve even used that paint for other things before) and it just dried really glossy on the first coat. It is highlighted up from a dark base coat, but you probably can’t make it out because SHINY! I quite like it though, I think.

Canix:

Really nice stuff there ,I love the brooding dark look of the army and the use of many varied figures just the sort of thing to quieten the splitters;) he he he

The converted ironbreakers are great the models are perfect when the have been axed-up:hat

Grongi Blackbeard:

wow thats great! ;D

nice tutorial for making rocks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thane Godri GoblinSlayer:

That is really good, I wish I was that good.

Kera foehunter:

i like the paint job he sooo cute with the blue toung

Thommy H:

The original studio version had a blue tongue too, so it’s kind of an homage to that. The colour scheme is also pretty much a straight reversal of how GW did it. It seemed to make more sense for a mutation of the Great Taurus to have red skin too, albeit not as bright since it doesn’t glow hot like theirs.

minty:

Wow, very nice llamasue there. i love it, looks awesome.

to bad there not to giood in game, eh?

Willmark:

Said it before I’ll say it again Thommy’s army is one of my favs on the site.

Thane Godri GoblinSlayer:

I agree, great army. I love the Lammassu :cheers

Respect the hat :hat

Thommy H:

Thanks! I’m moving house in a couple of weeks and, to ease the transition, I’m moving stuff off to my parents’ in stages. Last weekend, I packed away all my models and sent them off with mum and dad, so now I’m kind of having Chaos Dwarf withdrawal without them sitting on the shelf above my head.

To make it even worse, I got a text from one of the guys I play Warhammer with (who I hadn’t heard from in months) asking me if I wanted a game the day after I packed them up!

Thommy H:

Whoa, what’s this? A Chaos Dwarf update? You don’t see that from me every day… Here’s something I’ve been working on:

Azhan Khan, Scourge of the Steppes

The ferocious Azhan Khan is one of the most infamous Hobgoblin Chieftains in all the length and breadth of the Eastern Steppes. He was responsible for the Massacre of Ming-Hu, he turned the tide with a timely flank charge during the Battle of Guhlan and slew General Ping’s chief eunuch bodyguard in personal combat. In Cathay he is known as the Scourge of the Steppes and to the Hung tribes he is The Green Death. However, he was forced into exile when he fell foul of his master, the Great Hobgobla Khan - such is inevitable, for Hobgobla does not long tolerate servants who are too successful, for fear they may challenge his absolute dominion over the Hobgoblin tribes. Like others before him, Azhan travelled west, entering the Dark Lands where he came to the attention of the Chaos Dwarfs. They saw the value of such an ally, a Hobgoblin of genuine skill who could lead their own Greenskin slaves into battle. He became one of the great Wolf Rider Chieftains of the Dark Lands, fighting as a mercenary for the richest Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers. Eventually, his services were bought by Lord Zhurduz, who needed a Chieftain to lead his Wolf Riders as, while potentially one of his most useful units, they had proven less than impressive in recent battles.

One of the few things my army is missing is a Hobgoblin Hero. It was while writing the revamped Ravening Hordes list that I got to thinking about why I don’t have one, and how I’d make one should I change my mind. Well, I came up with an idea using one of the many Orks I have hanging around my bitz box, and I liked it so much that I had to do it. Azhan is just an Ork boy on a wolf, but he’s been converted with a Goblin’s nose and ears to be more Hobgoblin-y. I think it looks pretty effective. The wolf is an old GW one (no idea how old exactly - I got it from a friend) and I used a colour scheme inspired by a certain member of CDO’s own Hobgoblin Hero. For that reason, the wolf is called Ishk :wink:

His fluff is a little grandiose for a Hobgoblin Hero, but I have given him some interesting equipment to back it up. He has the Sword of Battle so he gets 4 attacks and the Enchanted Shield along with heavy armour, which gives him a (rather silly) 2+ save. I find this ironic, since in my RH revamp I didn’t even want to give Hobbo Heroes an option for heavy armour. In background terms, he doesn’t actually have heavy armour or a magic shield: the enhanced save is actually provided by the wolf cloak he’s wearing (which is taken from the Mordheim Middenheimer sprue).

Anyway, a valuable addition to the army I think, and a nice leader for my Wolf Riders who really are underperforming at the moment.

Bassman:

Impressive conversion, I like it very much.

Just the cloack could be stuck to the body better, you can see a little gap in the second pic.

However is a very nice model!

Nice fluff too.

Thommy H:

The gap is just where it’s hanging away from the body. It’s supposed to be flying out a bit (mostly because it wouldn’t fit any other way) and, really, it was designed to fit a human model’s shoulders rather than a big hulking Space Ork.

furrie:

very cool model

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Kera foehunter:

nice wolf rider tommy h cool story too

Willmark:

The wolf is quite well done as is the base

Ghrask Dragh:

Great work Thommy, nice conversion, looks really good!! :cheers

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull:

Hello,

that is one great looking chaos dwarf army you have amased there, I really like the looks from it. And the fluff was also nice to read. Keep it coming.

Greetz

G

Auretious Taak:

Thw wolf looks great but the second last picture shows it to have gap around the neck join, I always found cavalry were annoying like that wolves especially but just a note for future wolves you do. Nice Lammasu though.

Auretious taak.

Xander:

Whoa, what's this? A Chaos Dwarf update? You don't see that from me every day... Here's something I've been working on:

Azhan Khan, Scourge of the Steppes

The ferocious Azhan Khan is one of the most infamous Hobgoblin Chieftains in all the length and breadth of the Eastern Steppes. He was responsible for the Massacre of Ming-Hu, he turned the tide with a timely flank charge during the Battle of Guhlan and slew General Ping's chief eunuch bodyguard in personal combat. In Cathay he is known as the Scourge of the Steppes and to the Hung tribes he is The Green Death. However, he was forced into exile when he fell foul of his master, the Great Hobgobla Khan - such is inevitable, for Hobgobla does not long tolerate servants who are too successful, for fear they may challenge his absolute dominion over the Hobgoblin tribes. Like others before him, Azhan travelled west, entering the Dark Lands where he came to the attention of the Chaos Dwarfs. They saw the value of such an ally, a Hobgoblin of genuine skill who could lead their own Greenskin slaves into battle. He became one of the great Wolf Rider Chieftains of the Dark Lands, fighting as a mercenary for the richest Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers. Eventually, his services were bought by Lord Zhurduz, who needed a Chieftain to lead his Wolf Riders as, while potentially one of his most useful units, they had proven less than impressive in recent battles.

One of the few things my army is missing is a Hobgoblin Hero. It was while writing the revamped Ravening Hordes list that I got to thinking about why I don't have one, and how I'd make one should I change my mind. Well, I came up with an idea using one of the many Orks I have hanging around my bitz box, and I liked it so much that I had to do it. Azhan is just an Ork boy on a wolf, but he's been converted with a Goblin's nose and ears to be more Hobgoblin-y. I think it looks pretty effective. The wolf is an old GW one (no idea how old exactly - I got it from a friend) and I used a colour scheme inspired by a certain member of CDO's own Hobgoblin Hero. For that reason, the wolf is called Ishk ;)

His fluff is a little grandiose for a Hobgoblin Hero, but I have given him some interesting equipment to back it up. He has the Sword of Battle so he gets 4 attacks and the Enchanted Shield along with heavy armour, which gives him a (rather silly) 2+ save. I find this ironic, since in my RH revamp I didn't even want to give Hobbo Heroes an option for heavy armour. In background terms, he doesn't actually have heavy armour or a magic shield: the enhanced save is actually provided by the wolf cloak he's wearing (which is taken from the Mordheim Middenheimer sprue).

Anyway, a valuable addition to the army I think, and a nice leader for my Wolf Riders who really are underperforming at the moment.

Thommy H
Just saw this now. Awesome stuff! This army needs more attention. I like those Gitz, too.

Battle Masters Wolves ftw.