[Archive] The sketch thread

jolpis:

its great, abit to many lines and i dont like the bull thing on the top of his hat, but its an awsome piece of artwork

Grimstonefire:

I like it, but I think you need to take another look at the face.  With B&W you have to be careful which tone you make the skin colour, and which is metal.

I assume the main face part is a mask, in which case the tiny lower lip should not be the same tone (imo). More important on models with more skin showing I guess.

mattbird:

cool, thanks for the input guys (or gals).

helpful and appreciated.

Willmark:

If that is the style you are going for, you nailed it, good work.

mattbird:

Groovy.

High Priest:

jolpis:

nice. is he wearing a mask? haate the wierd spikes coming out at the front oh his hat. the doll is a nice touch. and the staff head is to small.

Scion:

I wish I could draw like that. Personally I don’t like the style in general, so don’t listen to me. I would put a bit more texture and a few less of the black lines in there.

mattbird:

I wish I could draw like that. Personally I don't like the style in general...

Scion
I find these 2 comments at somewhat of an odds... lol

Scion:

I like the way it’s done, Just too fit me it would need… tailoring :). In hindsight, they do look kind of silly. I really meant I wish I could shade like that.

Henroth:

The drawings of mattbird me remember to the style of John Blanche. :wink:

Scion:

Forgive my ignorance, who is John Blanche. Can you post some pictures of his work?

GRNDL:

John Blanche is the premiere GW art director guy. He’s created a lot of the “look” of GW since the dawn of the company. He has also done a lot of the early Warhammer covers and interior artwork.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Blanche

mattbird:

Yah, he and Ian Miller are largely responsible for the look of the original Realms of Chaos books. (among other things GW)

Hobgoblin! Thanks to whoever it was on this board who first did the conversion with the goggled Hobbos, it was a direct influence.

dedwrekka:

Forgive my ignorance, who is John Blanche. Can you post some pictures of his work?

Scion
If you have the Warhammer 40k rulebook on hand, his work is all over the background section. His work is also throughout the demon books.

I recently picked up his Inquisitor Sketchbook from 2001 and saw a ton of sketches that directly influenced different models in 40k. Many models I see have some influence from his art.

mattbird:

Wolfrider!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

GRNDL:

That mattbird fella, he sure loves to draw, doesn’t he?

Loki:

more great work mattbird please keep it coming :slight_smile:

warh:

i made some drawings today

Ronshank:

Man I wish I had the tallent to draw realistically. My new av is about my limit according to my little sketchpad/dairy, I think I did okay given it was totally done in paintbrush.

I marvel at your shading ability warh. One day I’m going to have to find a scanner so you can all laugh at my one dimensional CD drawings.