[Archive] the supposed hoc list in wd mag

cornixt:

The “Chaos Warrior” army in Ravening Hordes had the following units:

Core: Chaos Warriors, Marauders (on foot and mounted), Chaos Hounds

Special: Knights, Harpies, Spawn, Warrior Chariot, Marauder Chariot

Rare: Trolls, Ogres, Dragon Ogres

So in comparison, they don’t even have the five other units that were in that list. The main problem

with Chaos is that they have so many units that are so similar in function. the beasts list is now

the only one that can take Minotaurs, Trolls, Chaos Ogres, and Dragon Ogres, all of which are

practically the same unit with different levels of strength. If a mortal army can’t take any of those

then they will all remain as beast units and I don’t see why even a large beast army would want more

than two of those units, let alone one of each (even if you drop the Ogre entry completely).

Are there any Mortal players who are even considering using the WD list rather than their HoC book?

You can’t really call it a “get-you-by” list since you won’t “get-by” with it at all.

Thommy H:

Usually I don’t go in for conspiracy theories of any kind, but someone said something on Warseer that I found interesting. I shall paraphrase:

Most HoC players currently have a mix of Mortals and Daemons. The new Daemon Army Book is out and it’s much, much better than this WD thing. So they think “okay, I’ll just expand my daemon contingent into a full army using this new list.” And they shelve the Warriors for the time being because they suck now and buy a bunch of sexy new daemons. November rolls around, and a new, awesome Chaos Mortals Army Book arrives. Now the Chaos Warriors can come down off the shelf and, yes, be expanded into a brand new army.

So now, what was once one army is now two armies. If both lists were competitive, a HoC player would probably only expand in one direction, but now they can expand in both, without realising they’re even doing it.

Cunning, eh?

Xander:

I support the separation in theory, but I want Dragon Ogres and other units that I could take before. Right now the list is SO bland. The list should allow for specific units from Beasts to be taken, but it does not. Lame.

What a garbage list. The Hellcannon is the only saving grace of the list, and that model is overcosted, and easy for an opponent to neutralize.

My old army when I first played had 12 Chaos Warriors, 10 Beastman, 3 Dragon Ogres, 6 Chaos Knights, 6 Harpies, Chaos Sorcerer on Disc, Chaos Lord on Wyvern.

It was a power house army. Of that, I can now run the Warriors, Knights and Sorcerer on Disc. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah well, good thing I am hooked on the Dawi’Zharr these days.

Thommy H:

The Hellcannon is the only saving grace of the list
Oh, but you didn't hear the punchline I guess - the rules for it won't be included in this list. Players will still have to buy the (OOP) Storm of Chaos book or find the PDF online. Same goes for the Chaos Giant - they'll have to get hold of the Beasts of Chaos book to actually use it.

Vexxus:

Clearly a ploy to get more ppl to buy oodles of daemon models. How sad GW has become…

Willmark:

Oh, but you didn't hear the punchline I guess - the rules for it won't be included in this list. Players will still have to buy the (OOP) Storm of Chaos book or find the PDF online. Same goes for the Chaos Giant - they'll have to get hold of the Beasts of Chaos book to actually use it.

Thommy H
Which is all the more ironic considering the fact that GW seems to only want to be in the position of producing rules that are self contained (at least trying to get there) and don't reference another army book.

Clearly a case of talking out both sides of their mouth.

Thommy H:

Yeah, it’s totally bizarre. That’s how I’d sum up this HoC update: “bizarre”. It makes less sense the more you read.

Baggronor:

Its also partly to boost white dwarf sales I reckon. This will be the first WD I might buy in over a year, coz usually its just full of ads and rubbish battle reports between people who don’t have a clue. Lots of readers liked the Blood Angels WD list, so maybe they figured they’d do a Chaos one. After all, its not like its going to make too much of a difference if they screw HoC up a bit for 5-6 months, when the army book is out for Christmas. And everyone with a HoC army will buy this WD. Guaranteed.

furrie:

now that the new deamon book is out I can’t use my deamons any more, don’t have enough core units and no general for 1000 point battles :frowning: and the WD mortal list is rubbish, so I will probably use beastmen and dwarfs for some time, until I have time for more units.

wallacer:

I’m not entirely sure I buy the conspiracy theory idea. Tbh, it seems more like laziness to me.

It looks as if they just got the old HoC book, went through it with a marker pen and crossed out anything they thought might be problematic in the hiatus between the Daemon book and the mortal book, then said “alright lads, that’ll tide them over until November”.

Of course, perhaps i’m just too trusting :smiley:

Hashut’s Blessing:

wallacer, i concur. As for HoC players buying the WD, why bother? It’s all over the internet now. I won’t buy it. I won’t even use that list. I’m just going to use the original list, with its original rules, which allows me to use the beasts units and to use daemons if I wished. I don;t see why other people aren;t thinking the same thing…

Willmark:

The twist and turns that GW takes never ceases to amaze me. The Chaos list is indeed baffling, beasts are now referred to as the “zoo” and HoC being meh.

At list for this version of the game they got High Elfs (mostly right). Ever since third you always wanted to avoid the even numbered editions…

AGPO:

wallacer, i concur. As for HoC players buying the WD, why bother? It's all over the internet now. I won't buy it. I won't even use that list. I'm just going to use the original list, with its original rules, which allows me to use the beasts units and to use daemons if I wished. I don;t see why other people aren;t thinking the same thing...

Hashut's Blessing
Always what I intended to do from the monet I heard of the split. I'm certainly not buyng (let alone painting) all the warriors and marrauders I'd need to replace each knights, chariot and marrauder cavalry unit I've got as a core choice. Nor will I drop all my beasts and daemon units. My friends and I still play sixth ed, with a few house rules to allow additions of anything we actually like from seventh edition. We like our mixed chaos armies, vampire bloodlines and non-stanky Empire thanks very much

metro_gnome:

whats this? chaos dwarf players stuck in the past? No way? I never would’ve guessed that…

Hashut’s Blessing:

As we are dwarfs, we seem not to like change, it would appear :wink:

cornixt:

To keep the conspiracies going: It is all a way to give creedence to not putting official army lists in WD. Everyone says how poor the list is, few extra people buy WD for the list, GW says “We’ve tried it out for fantasy, it didn’t work and wasn’t popular, so we won’t do it again” thereby lightening their mailbag of requests for Araby/Nippon/Chaos Dwarf army lists.

:wink:

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

ignore then itill november and if its still bad use the last book see nothing to get wound up about