[Archive] The variety of collecting

Geckilian:

Thanks Soujourn for the painting complement. It’s nice to know others think I can paint well when I bother, heh. It’s been 9 days since my late update though, and I’ve not managed as much this week due to several days being spent starting my first complete sculpt (sans shield base and sword), finishing it and painting it. As such not much time has been spent on The Penitent Spectres.

However, I have managed to finish another 650 points, in the following 16 Terminators, which I finished today:

In the past few days I also received my 20th birthday present, a 24" monitor. Now the desk I do painting on at home looks like this:

The figure I sculpted was a Diopsid fighter for Dungeons & Dragons 3.5, since as far as I know there are no Diopsid figures at all. It’s in the Dragon Magazine Compendium, and mine is fairly badass, what with owning enough magical gear to garner an AC ranging from 46-51 and a ridiculously high miss chance on all hits against him. I’m quite chuffed with him, considering he’s my first complete sculpt, so here’s Carapaesen:

That’s all for now, but next time with luck I’ll have finished the remaining 16 Terminators I have currently ongoing, as well as getting my 30 Raptors nearly finished. On the Bolter and Chainsword forum I pledged last December to paint 3,000 points by this coming December. Well, now I’m up to 3,167 points and still have an ungodly amount to finish, heh. Not too bad…

As for Chaos Dwarfs, I’m bound to start them eventually, right…? If only someone would buy the mere £28 BfSP box in my sale thread, as well as the £10 box of Dwarf Miners, then I would be free to start a Chaos Dwarf explosion… (hint).

Kera foehunter:

thats cool you did great Greckillian nice paint job

Hashut’s Blessing:

Wow, looks nice AND intimidating. 16 terminators? Is that ONE squad? You really NEED another 16, he he he? The sculpt of that Diopsid looks excellent (no idea what they look like, but I can appreciate the model nonetheless!) and as for the stats, it is worryingly overpowered, by the sounds of things, he he he. Still, the paint job is AMAZING! Simple colour scheme, yet effective. Might use the same style on Tau (assuming I’d ever buy them) and try to steal your sculpt (with appropriate weapons) as the Vespid :stuck_out_tongue: I love the colouring on the sword. Is it metal, with some green paint at the top and some greenk ink washing down (or up) it, fading out?

Geckilian:

Cheers. I have around 50 Terminators overall, so a happy 10 squads when they all get done. It’s overpowered thanks to the Deck of Many Things, and managing to draw 2 red Kings (of Hearts I think) which granted 2 mansions and 12 ranks to diplomacy. The funds after selling them were, suffice to say, ‘sufficient’.

As to how Diopsid look, it’s a slight annoyance that there doesn’t seem to be any pictures on the net. Ah well. Feel free to use the design if you wish, since I followed the Diopsid look.

The sword is painted chainmail, with progressive layers of the green Citadel wash, interspersed with chainmail highlights.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Looks good and thanks for the permission as well as the sceheme workings :wink:

I take it you can’t use them all at once legally? As 10 squads that is… You could have 2 VERY large squads, maybe :smiley:

Geckilian:

You’re forgetting about Apocalypse. As such, I can use them all legally, as part of my ‘fairly large’ Chaos army.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Ah, yes. I most certainly am. That really would be a terriying army to behold! (One thing that would make it better is if Armour, Cover and Ward/Invulnerable saves worked more aking to Fantasy. 2+AS followed by 5+ ward save and either reduce their BS in cover or get a cover save as well! Awesome, especially for terminators in a bunker, he he he.)

It seems like you would be a powerful enemy/ally. The speed of 30 (or more if ya hvae more) Raptors and the strength/resilience of 50 terminators is ridiculous! :stuck_out_tongue: Cool choices though…

Geckilian:

To be fair, I’d generally fear the 20,000 points of Chaos overall than just 30 Raptors (I have 40 overall) and 50 Terminators. It’ll no doubt be a while till it’s all finished however, since once the Chaos Dwarf project properly starts I won’t really have the time to paint this army. Once the Chaos Dwarfs are finished at the end of the summer break, then I’ll have University and there won’t be much progress for anything till the next summer holidays.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Yeah, 20k of 40k Chaos would be fearful indeed. It makes the terminators and raptors pale slightly, but if they were the whole army, was where I was coming from :wink: Hey, I sent ya some money and stuff, so I’ve already aided your CD project somewaht, he he he. I know what ya mean about university holding ya back. Somehow, it spurred me on, though. I then did even more painting once I got back for Summer…

Geckilian:

Yet more updates! I’ve knuckled down to painting again for the beginning of this week, and as such have made a reasonable amount of progress.

The main accomplishment is finishing the first 30 Raptors yesterday and today, here:

I’ve also managed to finish the first Attack Bike (for Apocalypse) and it’s shown here with a current progress army shot. Bear in mind all of this has been painted in the new scheme since around mid-June.

Overall then, that’s a happy 4,803 points painted. Quite suitable so far I would think. That’s not all however, as currently in the WIP stand I have the following:

When the above is done (hopefully within a week or two) that’ll add another 1,486 points, bringing the total to 6,289 points overall. Nifty, and that’s not counting the HAL Dreadnought or any of the other stuff I need to assemble, such as another 5 to 6 Havok squads, 11 Bikers, etc etc.

After the above is done I’ll be starting on my 2,000 point Chaos Dwarf army, so there’ll still be updates, just not overly about The Penitent Spectres.

Till next update then.

Hashut’s Blessing:

It’s looking good and well done for finishing so much stuff! Are those raptors converted from “normal” space marines (even assault ones)? The army will be MOST impressive when all 20,000 points are finished, but I’m also excited to see some of your Chaos Dwarfs done. This army has helped get me in the mood for some 40k stuff! Thanks :stuck_out_tongue: (Unfortunately, I cannae find my stuff atm.)

Geckilian:

Cheers. They’re made from combined Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Assault Marines and for one squad, Dark Angels robed bodies. Since I won’t really be painting much during Uni I probably won’t get much higher than 7,000 points done by the time I start again in October, but some day when all 20,000 points are painted I’ll be a very happy guy.

As for not being able to find your stuff, you’re welcome to buy the Space Marine or Imperial Guard deal in my sale thread. Or why not go wild and get both?

>>

<
<

Hashut’s Blessing:

I would, but I’m waiting for a job, he he he. At the moment, I have a little over £100 TOTAL (in ALL my savings) and need that as a float for rent/food/bills/uni stuff when i go back to uni. Not looking fgood for me finanically. I’m sure I’ll find it in my Nuclear Bunker (yes, I could survive a nuclear fallout. Ask Sousonou). Even so: 7k is a LOT of points, so it’ll still be quite impressive… Glad to hear you’ve branched out from just the official CSM models. It’d get a little mundane otherwise. You’ll have all 20k finished in two more Summers max at the rate you’re going, uit would seem :stuck_out_tongue: I can only dream of how happy you’ll be, but ya show us some pics and I doubt I’d be far off!

Geckilian:

Time for another update. Another 690 points has been completed - 2 Rhinos, 15 Plague Marines and a Havok Squad with upgrades etc.

That still leaves the 15 Terminators (for which I have no motivation) and a Daemon Prince to sculpt, which probably won’t happen for a while. On the plus side, I currently have 28 Marines in progress, including 7 Lascannons, 2 Missile Launchers, 5 Heavy Bolters, 5 Autocannons and 4 Meltaguns, so that’ll add 895 points. I also have to make another Lascannon, 6 Missile Launchers and 42 Marines to complete the 7 Havok squads. I’m not really sure if they’ll get finished by the end of the first week of August, but here’s hoping.

Till next update.

al-hashut:

Looks very good Geckilian. Tell me, did you use some sort of template/masking tape for the squad symbols on the rhinos roofs or are they freehand? either way they look very crisp

Geckilian:

Thanks Al-hashut, all the symbols I paint are freehand.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Looking good. Even the greens of the Plague Marines fit in, so kudos to that scheme! That’s a lot of heavy firepower, he he he. Can’t wait to see them painted. Say to yourself, that if you paint the terminators, you’ll treat yourself (by making a cardboard, life-szed version, maybe? :stuck_out_tongue: )…

Geckilian:

Cheers for the compliments. As for the Terminators - “lots” will be done before them, most likely including 2,000 points of Chaos Dwarfs… Soon I’ll also have 40 robed Marines to prepare for a (gasp!) supposedly loyalist (blatantly renegade) force for the upcoming new Codex Space Marines, and one day I’ll get round to the 40 Rogue Trader-era Marines I have, since I love the figures, though I’ll need to procure some old Rhinos first…

At any rate, a verbal update for now. The 29 Marines in progress became 30 as I added a robed banner bearer, and everything has the gray, red and bases finished, leaving just 6 stages to go before completion. The banner bearer itself was finished and banner painted brown as another to tie in the colours more. Still have to paint a troops arrow on the shoulder and gothic number on the banners, but they’re essentially done.

I’ve also made a second Daemon Prince, as I didn’t feel like finishing the robes on the second big guy. Instead I made a regular sized Prince, who is essentially a smaller version of my first one, and I’m quite happy with how he looks thus far. Again the gray and red is done, base nearly so.

There’s also 2 Rhino’s nearing completion (just bone and metals to go) and a newly acquired Vindicator at the same stage, though the dozer blade is finished. In my army the Predator with Heavy Bolters usually shoots the autocannon once or twice a game, and the heavy bolters maybe once. I realized if I dropped a single marine with a melta gun, then I had the points to upgrade the Predator in to a nice happy Vindicator. In the test game it wiped out two squads of Plague Marines. Happy times.

Overall then there’s 15 Terminators, 29 marines (24 of which are heavy weapons), 2 Rhinos, a Vindicator and a Daemon Prince on the painting log, which, luck permitting, should be finished on Monday aside from the Terminators. I hope. Oh I really hope.

snyggejygge:

That daemonprince of yours is really great looking!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Good lad, planning to get CDs done first :wink: Hopefully, that gap will give you the incentive to finish them off, eh? So, you’ll have renegade models using a loyalist list? Makes sense: they’ve just broken off from the Imperial regime…

Sounds like it’s all coming along really well. Annoyingly, this blog is making me want to get on with my CSMs, but I can’t find any of my damnable stuff! Rargh!