[Archive] The Word of Hashut- Issue #8

Loki:

Thanks to every one that helped make this a great issue i have just down loaded it so will be reading it soon :slight_smile:

Randroid:

The Bellower … the webzine so nice you added us twice! ;D

Willmark:

Heh yeah there are a few minor corrections I need to make, usally a few things get missed here and there.

BilboBaggins:

Will mark is a busy guy, sometimes he misses or forgets little things.

Like Hobbits.

:smiley:

Randroid:

I kind of liked the double ads!

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Oooohhhh…so then, I shouldn’t print it out yet?

Can we call on you to correct some errors in previous issues too? There’s some horrendous type-o’s in WOH#1. (The only one I’ve printed off so far.)

Willmark:

Please send them to me and I’ll take a look as time allows.

Suffice of to say, a member of this site said: it’s not like we are getting paid to do this :wink:

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Wow, a great read again and a lot of creative stuff to explore. Love the comics, very stylish, also the member spotlights are very interesting. :cheers

Grimstonefire:

I am very impressed with this one, especially seeing the mordheim, bloodbowl and warhammer quest things there!  All we need to do now is find someone to give a Man O’ War battle rep…

Thorne’s story was good read, and Bagronnor’s artwork was as impressive as ever.  You’re really bringing some character to those guys.

Zanko’s fighting pit was a good read as well.  I offered to make one if nobody else did, but Zanko’s one is quite impressive I think (especially the texture you got for the rock).

I wouldn’t mind a mention in the credits for the back cover art. :wink:

Willmark:

All we need to do now is find someone to give a Man O' War battle rep..

Grimstonefire
*walks away whistling* :)
I wouldn't mind a mention in the credits for the back cover art. ;)

Grimstonefire
AWWW man thought I caught them all!

Tarrakk Blackhand:

it's not like we are getting paid to do this

Willmark
True, but good grammer and spelling is well worth the "Cost". - The "cost" being the amount of readership.

Actually, so much is lost these days because of the computer "spellcheckers" and the lack of proofreading on the part of the authors/editors of the publication. It's not just WoH that might make the occasional mistake (Which is expected as it's a small, fan based publication) but larger magazines and newspapers that I have discovered that make several mistakes in their pages.

This is especially bad when a "spellchecker" will always say "To" Too" and "Two" are ALWAYS correct, no matter what. Therefore, if I type in "I am going too the store, would you like to come two?" the computer says "That's Ok. It's spelled correctly!"

Also of note is the American English Dictionary VS the Canadian English Dictionary. "Colour" in Canada and Great Britian is "Color" in America.....things like that make a person either change their dictionary or just type in "American". The problem arises when your Dictionary learns a mispelled word and then every time you mispell it, the computer ignores it because it thinks it's right.

Thommy H:

No one can avoid every single typo, even if they’re intelligent enough to understand the weaknesses of spellcheck (not difficult…). When you have a deadline, when you’re doing something in your spare time, as a hobby, there are going to be mistakes. There is nothing I have ever written (and that’s more than you might think) that I didn’t spot at least one typo in when I looked back at it. You can tweak and correct forever and still not catch them all.

I agree that the effort should be made where possible, but it’s unrealistic to expect professional-level precision from a fan-created publication. Aiming for it is laudable, but we promise no more than best intentions.

cornixt:

Thank you for volunteering to do the proofreading Tarrack!

More seriously, I joined the team to proofread because of the large number of issues I noticed in WoH#1. If you notice many in the following issues then you can partially blame me, but don’t use that issue as a yardstick. There is a lot of awkward grammar that escapes, just because of the effort required to catch it all, but the spellings are 98% caught IMO.

Grimstonefire:

Yeah, I’m continually getting caught out by autocorrected grammar issues. Stupid Word. :wink:

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Well, no worries guys!

The ONLY WoH I have printed out IS #1, so I have yet to sit and read the others. I could probably help with proofreading as my store is so dead right now…but to be safe, I’ll have to say that I can’t do it. :smiley:

Hashut’s Blessing:

I have been meaning to get around to reading this, but things have got hectic at uni (got a deadline wach week for a month, two of which are double modules and two of which are practical, meaning lots of rehearsal!), which also explains my hasty editing on the podcast. I am very much looking forward to reading it, however, and have redownloaded previous issues (since I only had 6 and 7 on my laptop after my last one died).

As for proofreading, I am more than happy to do so and have previously offered (by the time the next one comes to the editing stage, my exams will be done, so I am still viably available), but wanted to re-offer my services: extra proof-readers means more errors caught, after all :smiley:

Willmark:

In all honesty the only one that was bad was #1 which is understandable, we were finding our way.

Obsidian:

Great read, I enjoyed it immensely! :hat off

Willmark:

need folks who are established members on these sites to post a link:

Librarium-Online

http://www.librarium-online.com/

The Warhammer Forum

http://warhammer.org.uk

BilboBaggins:

need folks who are established members on these sites to post a link:

Librarium-Online
http://www.librarium-online.com/

The Warhammer Forum
http://warhammer.org.uk

Willmark
I have an account with The Warhammer Forum (wait, I'm on a site Willmark isn't?) so I'll post there.