[Archive] Thinking of starting chaos dwarfs and have many questions

Eternal:

First of all hi to everyone. I’ve been lurking here for a week or so now and thought I’d make my introduction. I’ve been playing warhammer now since just before 6th edition and have ammassed a 7k point tzeencth mortal army (being re jigged for the new book) and a 2k vampire counts army and I’m now looking ahead to what I might get next.

So why did I choose Chaos dwarfs? Well for one main reason: it would annoy the hell out of my brother who is a fanatical (and I mean FANATICAL) Dwarf player. Also I was torn between Orcs and goblins and Chaos dwarves and since I realised I could have both with CD’s the desicion was easy. Also I’ve been wanting to start an army with a huge amount of modelling and painting and CD’s are perfect.

So enough waffle on to the questions:

1. First off what models are people generally using for hobgoblins? I looked at the old models on ebay and loved them but they are quite rare and expensive. I have also seen conversions on this site using goblin heads on various huma models (flagenlents etc) and I’m not a big fan of them. So I was thinking of just using night gobbo models and painting them red instead of green. What do people think? Is this ok? This would also allow me to use them in a stand alone green(red) skin army.

2. Question two is how easy is it to convert dwarves into chaos dwarves baring in mind my greenstuffing is average at best. It doesn’t seem too hard but I don’t wanna end up with a big mess on my hands because I tried something to advanced for me.

3. Now I wasn’t sure if I should put this here or not but this is the army list I came up with. I should note something first. After usuing a large Tzeentch army and vamps for a while I’m really sick of using magic (and the complaints it brings) therefore I have decided that I will have no magic at all. Not even a scroll caddy (which I hate). Instead I want lots of shooting (without being a pure gunline) as that is something I’ve been missing out on with the armies I currently have. With that in mind here is the list:

Chaos Dwarf Lord

Obsidian blade

Armour of Gazrakh 220

Chaos Dwarf Hero

Great weapon

Heavy armour

Shield

Gauntlets of Bazhrakk the cruel 90

Chaos Dwarf Hero

Armour of the furnace

Shield

Great weapon 109

Chaos Dwarf Warriors x19

Full command 221

Chaos Dwarf Warriors x19

Full command 221

Chaos Dwarf Warriors x19

Full command 221

Bolt Thrower x2 60

Bolt Thrower x2 60

Death Rocket 80

Earthshaker 110

Hobgoblins x10

Bows 50

Hobgoblins x10

Bows 50

Hobgoblins x10

Bows 50

Hobgoblins x10

Bows 50

Hobgoblins x10

Wolf riders 110

Hobgoblins x10

Wolf riders 110

Hobgoblins x20

Shields 60

Hobgoblins x20

Shields 60

Hobgoblins x20

Shields 60

Total: 1992

Now I’m stuck here because A. I know I went a little hob gob crazy and B. I didn’t put in some of the cool stuff I wanted to (bull centaurs just seem unneeded in a shooty army, and blunderbussess didn’t seem to have a place either.) Any suggestions on how to change the list to make it 1. better, 2. not so hob gob crazy and 3. full of fun stuff.

So any help at all on how to start a Chaod dwarf army would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

Well first hi and welcome to CDO and thank the lord enother Tzeentch and O&G army :hat off

Now then most people will use the BfSP night gobbos for hobgoblins and it works well http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2477

You don’t need to be that great at GS to make CD if you want hats cut the helmet of and use anything (I my self would use a cork) but if you want masks use the chaos warrior helmet and cut off the drawfs head leaving the beard.

Thrid magic well I don’t collect CD so i’ve never played them but it depends on how much magic the oppent uses.

As for the list maybe a few units of BB is in order they are a great unit to have not trying to say get ride of the hobbos but at least have some BB.

Hope this has helped you on your journey to CD.:slight_smile:

Pyro Stick:

I cant believe you made a shooty army list without including any blunderbuss, the essential shooty unit in the CD army. This list should include at least 2 units of 15 blunderbuss and maybe a few less hobgoblins.

Perturabo:

Check out Xanders BfSP dwarf conversion videos for a simple method of creating Chaos Dwarves. I’d never used greenstuff before and I had good results following his guide.

As to the list, yeah, add some Blunderers. With a couple of ranks they’ll eat through most infantry, and they do better in cc than most missile troops when they eventually do get charged.

grupax:

if you have 9 hobgoblin units – why not use banner of slavery

cornixt:

1. Yes, works great.

2. See below.

3. That is some shooting!

Wander through the [[wiki]]. Loads of inspiring conversions on there, some with minimal greenstuff (like mine).

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Welcome to the fourm!

As has been said, most people are using The Battle For Skull Pass set to make their Chaos Dwarfs and Hob Goblins. Most people will extend the bodies of their Hob-goblins with pins and then fill in between with Green Stuff.

Skull Pass might be a great starting point for you because they have a unit of Dwarf Thunderers that can easily be converted to Blunderbusses. Also, the Miners make great Heavy Weapons teams and let’s not forget the sheer numbers of Night Goblins in the set. 70+ for starters!

Also, you can make a Chaos Dwarf Earthshaker Cannon from the cannon in the BFSP set.

I’m not sure where you got the rules for the special weapons of your Lord and heroes. Please explain. I might have missed something somewhere.

Also, why 19 Warriors per unit? Why not 20 or 24?

Yeah, don’t forget the Blunderbusses. From what I’ve read, they can out shoot a standard Dwarf Handgun, especially with the special rule of Move and Shoot as well as shooting enemies through soft cover.

Again, Welcome!

Kera foehunter:

welcome you lurker !!!

i say just fine your style!! make them !! it so easy !!

it so easy to make cd there are a lot of converion here with out green stuff work

Eternal:

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve watched Xander’s videos as suggested and am now feeling alot more confident about moddeling the chaos dwarfs. I think I’ll get a skull pass and see how I go.

I’m not sure where you got the rules for the special weapons of your Lord and heroes. Please explain. I might have missed something somewhere.

Also, why 19 Warriors per unit? Why not 20 or 24?

Tarrakk Blackhand
I got the rules for the weapons from the chaos dwarf list in ravening hordes (yup still got my copy). I also downloaded the same thing from GW’s website (the AUS one make it so much easier to find though as they have the olf sytem still.)

As for why 19 it is so that when a charector joins I have a full unit of 20.

I’m going to have a rethink and maybe make a new list before buying anything. And yeah banner of slavery is a must with that many hob gobs how did I miss that lol!