[Archive] Thinking of starting Chaos Dwarves

Beast:

Hi

As the title says, i’m thinking of starting them for 8th edition.

I have no experience using greenstuff so will try to “evil up” normal dwarves as best i can.

I will be using the current Dwarf Army book for the time being as i’m not allowed to use other books in our upcoming league…:frowning:

My main question is, would anyone recommend using the Scibor minis or the Battleforge minis at all?

I have seen ALOT of hate for the Scibor minis so i’m a little worried!!

Thanks for listening to the noob!!

Andy

Baggronor:

I have seen ALOT of hate for the Scibor minis so i'm a little worried!!
Doesn't matter squat what other people think dude, the question is do you like them? :) I think the hate is directed mainly at his pricing; they are certainly too expensive for me and not the 'look' I want, but if you like them enough then go for it.

Battleforge are more reasonably priced, and have that '3rd ed' Chaos Dwarf look that is rightly popular. If that's the look you're after, then they're definitely a good way to go. Also of note are Dave King's Dwerg sculpts, who have a nice vibe going; they could be great for character models and elites.

The Avatars of War Dwarf Lord of Chaos makes a fine general figure too.

Or you could even buy some of mine ;) *shameless self-promotion*

Its worth noting that any non-GW figures won't be usable at GW tournaments, but if you're not a tourney player than that doesn't matter at all.

Zanko:

I totally agree with Baggronor! :hat off

I just wanted to mention that I personally like the look of the Scibor minis but I’m not satisfied with the quality of the material! :frowning:

I bought some dwarves and the plastic/resin (or what ever they were made from) broke easily! And for that reason they are much too pricy imo! :mad

PS: I like Baggronors minis a lot! :wink:

:hashut

Shakhorth:

What’s this deal about thinking??? Do or do not there is no try! :hat off

Obsidian:

Do, don’ think as Shakhorth said! :wink:

And like the others say, you have to like it! No one else!
And please try some GS’ing, practice some and who knows, you might get the hang of it! :cheers

Beast:

Well, the only thing making me hold back is the ****** beards!!!

Obsidian:

Really, they are not as difficult to do as it may seem! Check out some of the great tutorials that can be found on this site and just have a go. Every one of us here has had to learn it at some point so just do it mate! :slight_smile:

Zuh-Khinie:

I have one Scibor CD at home (the hunchbacked wizard with the pumpkin helmet), and rest assured, the sculpt is awesome, as is the casting.

It’s a beautiful model (IMO), which comes with its own textured (and highly detailed) base.

It’s true that the Scibor models are expensive, but you’re getting quality in return.

Be advised however that Scibor’s dwarfs are a bit taller than GW dwarfs (by a bit, I mean half a head).

For the rest, you just have to figure out which look you want to go for, and then take it a step further I’d say.

And the beards are easy (just check out some tutorials), and tend to break the boredom of painting metallics all day long… nothing as boring as painting empire knights if you ask me…

Thommy H:

It's true that the Scibor models are expensive, but you're getting quality in return.
No you're not. You're really, really not.

cornixt:

Well, the only thing making me hold back is the ****** beards!!!!

Beast
None of my converted models have the curly beards. It's not mandatory.

Beast:

Maybe i’ll just have to bite the bullet and have a go at greenstuffing a beard!!

Whats the worse that can happen, eh? I don’t put a curly beard on and paint em Chaosy!!

Thanks everyone for your support.

Andy

Da Crusha:

I dont like curly beards either so I sculpt straight beards http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/edogtothemoon/My%20Chaos%20Dwarves/3newones.jpg

nitroglysarine:

beards are deceptively easy imo.

i’m a noob sculptor and they are an easy thing to make.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I use to use thin metal wire coiled around a steel rod (Then you remove the rod). Drill a little hole in the figure just under the beard and plug in the metal wire “Beard Coil” into the top. Then just GS in the top where the beard attaches to the face.

I own a hobby shop in High river, Alberta Canada called Monster hobbies. I have 1 set of Battle For Skull Pass left that has both Goblins and Dwarfs in it. Excellent for converting into a chaos Dwarf army. Let me know if your interested.

tjub:

beards are deceptively easy imo.
i'm a noob sculptor and they are an easy thing to make.

nitroglysarine
Agree and if you are unsure how to make them there are several easy to follow tutorial here on the site. :)
Ill have to agree with people about Scibors stuff, not the best quality Im afraid.

Da Crusha:

Maybe i'll just have to bite the bullet and have a go at greenstuffing a beard!!

Whats the worse that can happen, eh? I don't put a curly beard on and paint em Chaosy!!

Andy

Beast
wait a second, Im confused, are you pro curly beards?

Fequiil:

Maybe i'll just have to bite the bullet and have a go at greenstuffing a beard!!

Whats the worse that can happen, eh? I don't put a curly beard on and paint em Chaosy!!

Andy

Beast
wait a second, Im confused, are you pro curly beards?

Da Crusha
huzzah for the curly beards!:cheers

and about GSing: everybody has to start somewhere!
initially, everybody was a noob( some still are( yes, i meant myself)).:hat off

Beast:

I just think that a Chaos Dwarf needs to be different than a normal Dwarf and a curly beard will do that!!

nitroglysarine:

I just think that a Chaos Dwarf needs to be different than a normal Dwarf and a curly beard will do that!!

Beast
I wouldn't neglect the hats either ;)

Beast:

Ah, and the hats!!! Big or Chaos/Marauder style Chaos? Mmmmmmmmm