[Archive] Thinning paint pots

brotsorrow:

Hey guys, can anyone suggest a product that i can use to thin pots of GW paints? I have several that the paints are thickened but not dry. Are they pooched? i was told to never use water to thin paint in pots.

Mad Dave:

Ive been using water to thin my GW paints for Years. Ive spoken to quite a few GW guys who all do the same. The trick is to add a tiny amount of water mix it or shake the pots well leave it for an hour check again and repeat if needed. im not saying this is the best way but it works for me.

brotsorrow:

Thats good enough for me… I have been using water, but since now im a student, i’m trying to be… frugal

Admiral:

I have a lot of experience with thinning GW paint in pots. Mad Dave describes the best method with adding small amounts of water, mixing the paint and then leave it for a while before checking again.

JMR:

I use water as well. A few drops is usually enough.

cornixt:

It’s water based paint, so you add water to thin it. Anything else would make a mess.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

GW actually sells paint medium which is used to rejuvinate dried out paint pots. Water is acceptable but changes the consistency of the paint. Now that I’ve tried paint medium, I’m hooked on it.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Mad Dave:

GW actually sells paint medium which is used to rejuvinate dried out paint pots.  Water is acceptable but changes the consistency of the paint.  Now that I've tried paint medium, I'm hooked on it.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
I never knew that GW sold that stuff not seen it on the website ill ask next time im at GW HQ Cheers for the info Grim.