[Archive] This has been bugging me

asheira:

Ok…

Why are the mesurments in warhammer in inches?

The game was made in the UK, doen’t the UK use the metric system?

Kera foehunter:

Well they don’t think we would buy it in the U S .If it was metric.

Wow that suxs i thought it was in inches for the us

Revlid:

As far as I’m aware, we Brits still use Inches, etc. We’ve just also adopted the metric system. :hat off
Rather like how we use both Celcius and Farenheit, and how the weights system is so convoluted I’ve made no attempt to understand it. At least the monetary system has been streamlined, rather than holding on to ha’pennies and crowns.

Perv:

whats so hard about inches? in the UK we use inches and feet AND the metric system. Its not so hard to use two different measurements…dont you have tape measurers with both them on? If not why not? Theres two edges to a tape measure so what goes on the other edge?

Grimstonefire:

Warhammer/ 40k were both written before metric was introduced.  It would have taken a fair bit of work to re-write everything, something they probably should have done for 6th ed.

They won’t do it now IMO. They could do it for 8th ed, but it would effectively invalide all 7th ed lists instantly.  Sure they could say in the rulebook ‘ignore everything in inches and multiply by 2.5’, but GW isn’t that smart.  They won’t even price thing properly, either in 50p increments or £1 :frowning:

Thommy H:

In the UK, the metric system is used for anything in industrial, professional or scientific fields (because it’s a lot more sensible and useful than Imperial measurements), but the Imperial system is used in every day life. Road signs show distances in miles, people talk about height in terms of feet and inches and weight in pounds (or stones, actually - 1 stone = 14 lbs). This isn’t so much the case now, because the metric system is used for everything in schools, so most kids are growing up not knowing about Imperial measures, but it was very much the case in the 80s when Warhammer was written. You can see the difference in later games though - anything not directly derived from Warhammer (Epic, Battlefleet Gothic, Lord of the Rings) uses centimetres instead.

torn:

i thought lord of the rings used inches?

i think the free plastic rulers in epic were not only metric but blue!

to be honest i cant see why this makes any difference. inches are usually written bigger on a tape measure so easier to see, so probably the best way, and also lets movement values not get too high. imaine testing against your movement if it was in cm instead of inches. absolutely absurd.

plus the metric system sucks. sucks worse than euros.

bow_for_hashut:

i thought lord of the rings used inches?

i think the free plastic rulers in epic were not only metric but blue!

to be honest i cant see why this makes any difference. inches are usually written bigger on a tape measure so easier to see, so probably the best way, and also lets movement values not get too high. imaine testing against your movement if it was in cm instead of inches. absolutely absurd.

plus the metric system sucks. sucks worse than euros.

torn
LotR uses both inches and centimeters.
Me, being the swede I am, uses the metric system for everydaylife situations but in wargame situations there is no question about what system to use, Inches in wargames ffs.

(On the other hand, euros really do suck b@//$)

turquois dwarf:

also if i try and think how far amodel could walk in centimetres it dosent work and i end up with somthing like 7 and a bit but inches seem to stop at the right point

Thommy H:

also if i try and think how far amodel could walk in centimetres it dosent work and i end up with somthing like 7 and a bit but inches seem to stop at the right point

turquois dwarf
Uh...yeah...because movement rates are expressed in inches in Warhammer. Since centimetres don't divide exactly into inches, why would it work?

Also, to those who dislike the metric system, you really ought to try making scientific measurements in a system where lengths, weights, units of power, etc. have no relationship to one another - the SI system is pretty much the most useful tool for measurement ever devised. 1 of anything is equal to 1 of anything else.

Willmark:

I blame the British for this mess. Their pesky 400 year Empire is the root of all this. Add to the fact that we were former colonies of theirs and you can see why, were so backwards in regards to measurements. The US is now a miss-mass of metric and IS measurements.

torn:

well the european union is slowly forcing its metric system on us brits. i think it hits loose food sellers the worse.

shopper: "can i have a pound of mince please"

butcher: gets calculator to work out how many grams is in a pound. because of trading standards law says to customer "thats 454 grams, will that be ok"

shopper: "is that 1lb?"

butcher: "yes"

shopper "well ill have 1lb of mince please"

it really is all very pointless trying to change it. imagine going to the pub and asking for point something of a liter of a beer, instead of a pint.

rather randomly everything at work is measured in mm, so for example the floor space we are working on might be 12562mm, i think its a bit excessive that someone has to go around before us every time and measure thing exactly to the mm.

Perv:

bloody system worked for hundreds of years so why try fixing something that isnt broke? Its you foreigners complicating things…things worked perfectly well when we were in charge of the world !!!

Thats meant as a joke by the way, I am English but cant stand the country and am leaving it asap !!!

cornixt:

Epic was in metric wasn’t it?

Worst thing about the US is their complete refusal to use both systems. Almost everything is in imperial only (usually known as English units)

Perv:

I’d be quite happy if we just standardised the whole lot. Currency, measurements, language, everything. All men should be called Chris and all women Chrissy, 1 type of elasticated trouser that fits everyone…simplify life :slight_smile:

Revlid:

well the european union is slowly forcing its metric system on us brits. i think it hits loose food sellers the worse.

shopper: "can i have a pound of mince please"

butcher: gets calculator to work out how many grams is in a pound. because of trading standards law says to customer "thats 454 grams, will that be ok"

shopper: "is that 1lb?"

butcher: "yes"

shopper "well ill have 1lb of mince please"

it really is all very pointless trying to change it. imagine going to the pub and asking for point something of a liter of a beer, instead of a pint.

rather randomly everything at work is measured in mm, so for example the floor space we are working on might be 12562mm, i think its a bit excessive that someone has to go around before us every time and measure thing exactly to the mm.

torn
Which is exactly why I hate the European Union - we get nothing out of it and have to give up lots to be a part of it.

Still, everyone I know just ignores the metric system when it comes to weights - pounds and ounces for the Esher shopkeepers, thankyouverymuch.

Willmark:

How can we mind our P and Q without the old system? Rebellion I tell ya!

Kera foehunter:

like i can measure ha ha .I say thank england for the lanuage.Not one of us here can speak it with out a accent but ME

Perv:

dam colonists…give them a foot and they want a metre !!!

lol neither can we Kera, considering the size of England its amazing how diferent some people sound

torn:

heres a curious one abut the european union.

there is a webstore called modelsforsale.co.uk (i think) and it sells fairly cheaply the usual plastic model kits. really great for putting together 1:72 scale napoleonics or getting a 1:35 tanks to turn into an ork battle fortress.

but heres the thing, they are based in the UK, and if i want to order from them i have to pay on top of the cost a european sales tax, yet, if i lived outside the EU i wouldnt have to. I questioned this and was told by modelsforsale that they cant do anything about it, i have to contact my local european representative minister bloke.

so i e-mailed him

waiting

waiting

waiting

about 3 months later i get a reply

apparently the EU isnt allowed to tax people from other coutries,as most export trade does, but is allowed to tax one englishman buying from another englishman a european sales tax. And there is nothing he can do about it either. Correct me if im wrong but arent we getting screwed over here?