[Archive] Thomasthefinch's Chaos Dwarfs. NOW with added Bull Centaur

thomasthefinch:

Hey guys.  Just started painting and making my CD army.  This is the rough colour scheme I’ve come up with.  Dark red plate, golden/brass mail.

Any feed back on the colours?  (obviously this isn’t a finished model, so no need to criticise my painting skill… just yet.)

http://imgur.com/Lkb2Z

DAGabriel:

I like it, but than it is a lot like mine!

thomasthefinch:

I like it, but than it is a lot like mine!

DAGabriel
haha! It does indeed. Pure coincidence though, I swear.

I actually chose the colours because my Passport is sat infront of me. It's a UK passport and therefore dark red/gold.

I wanted to do the armour silver, and then selected plates (helm and shoulders) gloss red, but it looked far too busy. I tried the full red and I quite like it...

Loki:

I like the paint scheme the colours work really well together, cant wait to see more of your work :slight_smile:

thomasthefinch:

Here is the first model, finished.

I think I am quite happy with the general feel of it, but maybe I need a better highlight colour on the armour. The highlight is too bright.

http://imgur.com/IOd6y

DAGabriel:

As said before, I like the coloring. What I miss is a bit of zenithal lighting.

Abecedar:

Yours looks great. I think picking a colour scheme is the hardest thing to do. I spent hours trolling through the galleries and army blogs and still couldn’t decide what I wanted. In the end an old football jersey gave me a starting point.

thomasthefinch:

Here is a couple of pictures of my first Bull Centaur!

http://imgur.com/a/a9lN3

Grimbold Blackhammer:

It’s a good first attempt but the proportions look a bit…off? Maybe it’s just me or the angle of the photo or something.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Willmark:

I’ll echo Grimbolds sentiments. Good stuff here, but the scale seems a bit “off”. Case in point on the Bull centaur the arms in particular seem out of proportion.

Are those orc arms?

thomasthefinch:

I think maybe you guys haven’t realised what I have made these things from.

It’s one of the new boars from the boar boys kit, and the body half is actually a full Ogre.

I decided that a horse body was A) Too small for a 50mm base monster B) looks too much like a horse rather than a bull.

I tried with a marauder body, but the boar models are just too huge to make this work.

I figured these things are really - creatures of chaos. I think that having what looks like a giant dwarf can just be justified as horrific sorcerer prophet experiments.

khedyarl:

I think the problem that people are having is due to the picture, the angle makes the front end look far larger than the back end. I know how big the new boars are, so I think it’s probably a very good fit for the ogre torso, but if you could take a shot of the mini from a side angle, that would be great, and we could get a better idea of scale.

The beard ringlets are looking good!

thomasthefinch:

Ok guys I based it and started painting it, I think this gives a better idea of proportion. Personally, I am quite happy with it. I’m hoping the lack of approval was down to bad photos!

vulcanologist:

Those are

Better photos! Looks very nice!

Zanko:

That guy remembers me of the good old times with Boar Centaurs! :cheers

Go on with your great work - I’m curious to see more different Centaurs! :slight_smile:

:hashut

gIL^:

Very original friend. your centaur is missing something though i think it’s a hat or a helm

khedyarl:

Yeah, I figured it was the pictures. I really like the scale of the conversion, it looks physically imposing, and about as dwarf-statured as a Centaur is going to get.

beefcake:

I was thinking of making bull centaurs with the boars too only I was going to use black orc bodies and arms and ogre heads.

Kera foehunter:

Kera smiles (you mean a boar centaur )

I love the use of the ogre and O&G boar it great work

he kick ass