[Archive] Tired of 8th? Remember the good old days?

Chico:

Gw would give you your army free

Kera foehunter
Heh actually a few years after i started around '95 GW Watford did give me a free Dwarf Army.. as they were just going to be throwing it away.

Also they gave me a heavy duty paint case which i still use today :)

So yup those were the days :)

cornixt:

GW Watford was the size of a toilet cubicle!

Chico:

GW Watford was the size of a toilet cubicle!

cornixt
Heh it still is lol, my local store/gaming club and even worked there a good 10 years ago.

Blue in VT:

If people are genuinely interested in the 3rd Edition of Warhammer (which it appears they are), have a look at this awesome blog http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.com.au/, called Realm of Chaos. It is full of really nice 3rd edition material, including painting, minis, rules, WD articles and more. This blog is NOT MINE, but it is one of my favorites. - Enjoy.

G.2
Yes...wonderful blog and orlygg is
One of the driving forces behind "old hammer" right now
And is a member of the forum that Chico mentioned.

Blue

Bolg:

Oeeh brilliant!!

So Why Use Old Paints?

1) The pots are much larger so you get much more paint. I am sure you too have noticed how with each relaunch you get less and less paint from modern Citadel. With these babies you can be sure that your pot of paint will last much longer than a modern equivalent.

2) They don’t dry up like modern Citadel Paint. I have a Blood Red upstairs that was kept in a cupboard with the lid firmly shut that is dry and gunky. I must have bought it a couple of years ago in the Colchester Store. I have a Blood Red from 1985 that is still perfect. I use it most days… Nuff said!
So true (:

And yes yes I will register at the forum but now I’m way to busy to have a good look around or dig into the old rules but I surly will (:

G.2:

...and orlygg is One of the driving forces behind "old hammer" ...

Blue in VT
Hmmm, I did notice a connection there. I am so glad that Orlygg is part of OldHammer, he is a very dedicated "old school" gamer.

He even has me thinking of purchasing some of those old school paints. Mmmmm....need to find some more hobby money from somewhere.

Chico:

Everyone which is interested in the old paints, i would recommend Coat D’arms paints there just like the old late 80’s early 90’s paint.

http://www.blackhat.co.uk/coat_darms/paintsets.php

Easier to get then the old paint range on ebay and in single pots too :slight_smile:

Admiral:

A hearty laughter at Kera’s comment. :smiley:

3rd edition was way before my time, but there is obviously a good core of truth in the old schooler’s stories which become evident once you read about this multiplayer scenario called Orc’s Drift: http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4827&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=4990

You can look for more posts with models for and discussions about the scenario further back in the thread, and probably some further forward as well. Somewhere there’s a point about the roleplaying character for the Elf-Dwarf alliance side, where the Elf player is instructed at the beginning of the game that his general, Brodomir, is a trifle deaf. As such he much ask the dwarf player to repeat everything he says. The Dwarf player is in turn instructed that Brodomir isn’t half as deaf as he pretends to be, and should thus ignore every request to repeat himself.

That is the kind of thing I and my friends have begun to aim for in some of our rare, home-played games that are not meant to be competitive. Storm of Magic helps a lot for inclusions of wacky monsters, but there’s always space for inventions of our own (sometimes made up in the middle of the game), such as an Ogre Butcher in the woods that will ambush everyone who strays too close to his forest. Throwing in wandering-about Ghouls, Ungors, Goblins, Night Goblin Fanatics or Gnoblars is neither too uncommon.

Anyhow, I and my brother started Warhammer during 6th edition. Storm of Chaos was good, but otherwise 6th edition was a tad tawdry on the rules’ side. Also a lot of fun units were dropped, such as the Skaven Doomwheel. 7th edition was filled to the brim with power creep and skirmishing or knightly deathstars. 8th edition is my favourite due to its encouragement to use large units (which adds to the realistic impression of the battle), bloodier combats and monster release waves.

DAGabriel:

Does anyone know how much I would have to expect to spend for the original rulebooks?

Chico:

Does anyone know how much I would have to expect to spend for the original rulebooks?

DAGabriel
Warhammer Fantasy Battle Third Edition Rulebook (1987) £5 - £10
Warhammer Armies (1987) £5 - £10
Warhammer Siege (1988) £5 - £20
Realm of Chaos - Slaves to Darkness (1988) £25 - £50
Realm of Chaos- The Lost and the Damned (1990) £50 - £100

You only really need the first 2 though, so very cheap.

-
Chico

cornixt:

And make sure you check they have all the pages! I bought a copy of the armies book and found that about 60 pages in the middle were missing.

DAGabriel:

Thx, will jump into the ebay.

Chico:

Just a little bump, to remind you/new members to come and join us on this wonderful site :slight_smile:

moogoodoo:

can amy one pm me where i can get rule book/army books thanks

Servius:

Got to say, I loved 3rd. but there were some definite problems with it. But it all went with what was good… Personally, I still play 7th… And that’s only because I would play 6th but Lapping is just too bloody annoying.

AGPO:

I started with fourth but inherited a friend’s stock of third ed stuff when he had a baby and needed to make room. I think the game changed more from 3rd-4th than any other time. I do miss the earlier days of narrative gaming where tournaments were barely concieved of and no gamer worth their salt would put a win ahead of a good narrative.

speedygogo:

Warhammer fantasy and 40k were much more like RPGs in their earlier editions. I really miss those times but I don’t think it was b/c of the rules.  If anything they were much less developed and had even more opportunities to be abused.  The spirit of gaming was just so much different.  More people gamed for fun and to tell stories.  We just don’t see that as much nowadays in the win-at-all-costs attitude that has infiltrated warhammer.  

Just a couple of months ago a 40k player tried to explain to me why it was ok for him to cheat, saying something to the effect: "if my opponent doesn’t know the rule then that is his fault."

Back in the day, I just don’t remember running into that type of player as frequently as we do now.  That same guy went on to complain about a couple of incredibly awesome painted and converted models for not having the exact weapons they were equipped with.  However, this guy’s troops were not painted, converted or even completely put together.  So who knew what his troops were armed with b/c they didn’t even have arms.  The worst thing was that this guy was not a newbie and had been playing for a couple of years.  Sadly, there are enough warhammer players with similar attitudes and that sours our hobby. I’ve noticed that many win at all cost guys are craptastic hobbyists.  I just don’t think someone has the right to complain about another army when no effort has been put into theirs.

Chico:

I’m glad that there’s still a fondness for the 3rd and RT, it was happyertimes :slight_smile:

As for the player which says it ok to cheat if the op doesn’t know the rules then he should be shot… too extreme? Na having to watch xmas telly is worse :wink: Does remind me of the saying ‘‘No he doesn’t cheat, he has to know the rules to cheat’’ lol

AGPO:

Warhammer fantasy and 40k were much more like RPGs in their earlier editions. I really miss those times but I don't think it was b/c of the rules.  If anything they were much less developed and had even more opportunities to be abused.  The spirit of gaming was just so much different.  More people gamed for fun and to tell stories.  We just don't see that as much nowadays in the win-at-all-costs attitude that has infiltrated warhammer.  

Just a couple of months ago a 40k player tried to explain to me why it was ok for him to cheat, saying something to the effect: "if my opponent doesn't know the rule then that is his fault."

Back in the day, I just don't remember running into that type of player as frequently as we do now.  That same guy went on to complain about a couple of incredibly awesome painted and converted models for not having the exact weapons they were equipped with.  However, this guy's troops were not painted, converted or even completely put together.  So who knew what his troops were armed with b/c they didn't even have arms.  The worst thing was that this guy was not a newbie and had been playing for a couple of years.  Sadly, there are enough warhammer players with similar attitudes and that sours our hobby. I've noticed that many win at all cost guys are craptastic hobbyists.  I just don't think someone has the right to complain about another army when no effort has been put into theirs.

speedygogo
QFT. My old gaming group certainly play in this spirit when we can get together (which is pretty rarely now) but this attitude is why I steer away from the stores and events.

Naagruz:

Anyone got a general grasp on what has characterized the different editions of WFB? I’m sure there is a summary somewhere out on the interweb, but here is my experience:

1st ed: VERY basic wargames rules for putting those lead minis you had been sitting on to use in battles against other folk’s surplus lead minis. No real world background & not all that exciting to play.

2nd ed: Fleshed out by supplements & Ravening Hordes, a more developed Warhammer World with more interesting, though totally unbalanced, rules allowed for fun scenario skirmishes. Having a GM & sense of humor was key.

3rd ed: Like 2nd, but with better rules & greater detail. More structure to Army Lists, but still pretty flexible. Realms of Chaos Warbands were amazing fun!! GM & intact sense of humor still a great idea for games.

4th ed: HeroHammer. Great fun at times, but allowed for disgustingly lopsided games & was just plain silly. The new magic card system added another aspect to the game.

From 5th on I’m clueless, but I would love to hear other folk’s feedback on them.:hat off