[Archive] Troll Conversion

bigdark:

I wanted to make a Troll army for Throgg, but wasn’t going to drop $20/model and don’t like the dated trolls.

So here is my plan, and here are the component pictures.

Rat Ogre bodies - cut off tails, fill in Skaven markings with greenstuff.  I plan on adding a turtle like tail or covering the clipped butt with Chaos ornaments from my marauder kit or from…

Defiler bits, Ironblaster bits, Daemon Prince shoulders, and unpictured Marauder bits - add more spikes to the forearm, slap shields and heads onto the bodies of the trolls.

Daemon Prince heads - I will need to greenstuff together a neck-knob for the head to post on with a forward facing direction so that the Daemon Prince head is facing out, rather that facing towards the left hand.

At the end of the counting, each troll model is $6/7.  And will look mean.

So that is where I am at this point.  I am looking for advice too -

Specifically -

1. What is the best way to clean and clip off the Rat Ogre tails?  They attach at the butt and one of the base models has the tail touching the back of the leg.  Any cutting tips and blemish treatment is appreciated.

2. How do I go about sizing out the right neck-knob to post the Daemon Prince heads onto the Rat Ogre bodies?  I have some Orc bodies laying around the are about the right sized neck knob.  But I am nervous about going forward on the neck work.

I intend on getting down to business this coming Saturday, and plan on posting the in progress pictures.

Da Crusha:

I’ve converted both of those rat ogres into trolls. when removing material, what I usually do is make rough cuts at first and then make a precision cut afterward. you can shave the model down lightly with the edge of the blade to try to get rid of protruding edges. if that doesn’t get rid of the last visible flaws I like to touch it up with a file. of course green stuff work would be the last trick in the book.

when I attached the heads I first used blue tac to try to get a feel of the position I wanted to use. when I figured that out I would use a rod and pin the head in. for the “black orc banner” head I remember the rod sticking out about a quarter inch when I pinned it to the head. I also put a drop of glue wherever other parts of the model like the horns touched another part of the model. this would make the joint of the model stronger. later I used greenstuff to sculpt the neck around the rod. be sure to attach the green stuff to both sides of the joint for structural integrity. on the back of the neck I put fur to match the fur on the back of the model, leaving a nice smooth transition.

for his left hand I used a minotaur hand.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/edogtothemoon/this-1_zpsb28ac26c.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/edogtothemoon/My%20Bloodbowl%20minis/IMG_0204.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/edogtothemoon/IMG_1151_zps845a6eb6.jpg

Bolg:

If you want cheap trolls, why not skip the plastics all together…? a bit of greenstuff and almosyt anything + a bit of time gets you the cheapest unit of trolls ever.

Here an example of a few pieces of wood and milliput/greenstuff I put together:

(ok, my first attempts were a lot worse (just check my blog) but with a bit of practice this is the cheapest way to build a troll army)

Da Crusha:

that’s pretty cool bolg.

bigdark:

Bolg - I dig your style, but I don’t think I could pull it off.

What part I might use is your use of the wooden club. There are lots of Troll and Ogre applications from that.

Crusha - thank you for posting those, I wish I had access to those Black Orc toppers, those make great helmeted Troll heads. Nice to see someone else put those cheap as dirt rat ogre bodies to good use as well.

Will post again once I start clipping, cutting, and greening.

Kera foehunter:

I stick to your guns ! you have alot of cool pieces to make one. the daemons heads are perfect

bigdark:

Progress so far -

Cutting is complete, and so is most of the filing.

I have blu-tacked on the most bare bones of conversions to make the rat ogres into trolls.

Being the first test, I didn’t get too adventurous.  

This weekend will be the green stuff.  I plan on trimming back the head parts a bit to make them less giraffe like and fill in the the skaven markings with green stuff.  I will also be cleaning up the ankle on the model that had a tail attached to it.  Will post again.

So, here are the first two most basic variations of chaos trolls with 40 min of cutting and blu tack.

Model 1 with spiked hand -

Model 2 with armor plating -

I haven’t done anything like this with any of my models, so I encourage anyone and everyone to get out there and do better work than I did.  

The next 2 trolls I will experiment with some new arm positions.  But only once these two are completed in their entirety.

Goltor Lintrepide:

Those look superb! I would sculpt the demon heads a little bit so they look a little bit less symetrical, more chaos-twisted. Anyway, that’s a fabulous idea you got there!

bigdark:

I want to sculpt the demon heads into something wild weird and new, but I don’t want to get too crazy with my fledgling attempt.  

This first try is going to be simple.

But - if I were to play around with the heads I would:
Clip the horns entirely, or make one look shattered off.
Add tusks / enlarged teeth similar to the Throgg model
And if I was feeling risky, I would scar over one of their eyes.

Any other head adjustment ideas?

Gunnerson:

No suggestions, but I might steal your idea!

Yodrin:

Really cool idea, nice work!

Goltor Lintrepide:

I want to sculpt the demon heads into something wild weird and new, but I don't want to get too crazy with my fledgling attempt.  

This first try is going to be simple.

But - if I were to play around with the heads I would:
Clip the horns entirely, or make one look shattered off.
Add tusks / enlarged teeth similar to the Throgg model
And if I was feeling risky, I would scar over one of their eyes.

Any other head adjustment ideas?

bigdark
Nope, sounds like good ideas!

Da Crusha:

looking great! keep up the good work.

bigdark:

Greening update!

And tomorrow the glue and base white will go on.

Trimmed bad, added good, put Nurgle sores on some backs, added an Orc jaw bone bit…  Not much to tell, but a little bit more to see.

Here I started with greenstuff epoxy to fill in the deep scarring on the rat ogre body and then smoothed it over with a layer of liquid greenstuff and some sanding.  

The liquid greenstuff was a bit thin to handle the scar marks on their own (which I tried on a different model) so I added sores.  Then I really liked the sores and added them to 2 models.

Pimple Kid 1, greenstuffed on a strap for the armor and plan to glue the armor on tomorrow.

Pimple Kid 2, greenstuffed strap is underneath the armor.

Spike Arm 1, going to glue on a Daemon Prince Shoulder and a Chaos Warrior shield to his arm spike. I covered up some piping with a greenstuff pair of shredded leather straps.

Spike Arm 2, clipped horns, greenstuffed him up, added a Daemon Prince thigh guard as a shoulder bit.  Nothing to see yet on his back, I plan on taking some sprues and making them into spikes.  Used an Orc jawbone bit on his face.

Cheers

Abecedar:

they’re coming along really, really well

Da Crusha:

Loving it!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Goltor Lintrepide:

This last one with the big jaw looks fantastic!

bigdark:

This last one with the big jaw looks fantastic!

Yawarakaimatsuka
I agree, he was the last one that I got to in this series. By the time I got to him, his trimming process went easiest, and I felt comfortable enough with the materials to take some risks (like adding the Orc jawbone).

There are some Ogre bits that are loose jawbones. I plan on strapping them onto the next model.

I have some Ghorgon hand bits on their way - the next 4 I plan on taking some larger risks with as far as replacing hands/limbs/weaponry.

Kera foehunter:

I have to agree with the sweet heart ( da crusher ) said black orc banner for a head

bigdark:

Made a quick change - I clipped off the horns and the saw/spike, replaced it with an Orc femur weapon to look like a protruding bone that the Troll has tied sharp stuff too.

I wish I could say that it was the Black Orc BSB bit, but that thing is $5.00 per bit - way out of my contemplated price range as badass as it is.