[Archive] Unit Regiment Advice

Lord_Yepez:

Hello Fellow Dawi Zharr,

I was wondering what is the best width and depth for:

blunderbuss squad, immortals and chaos dwarf warriors?

for the warriors is 5 wide and 4/5 deep good?

and would the same be applicable to the immortals?

As for the blunderbuss squad I have no clue! >.< aha

Ill look forward to your response, and thanks for your time.:hat off

Time of Madness:

It really depends on how large you make the units. If you have a unit of 30 blunderbusses you would want to have them 10 wide.

I generally always take a unit of 30 warriors with hand weapon/shields and place them 5X6. However if I was to take great weapon warriors I might use them 10X3.

By immortals do you mean ironsworn? If so not many people field them :slight_smile:

Time of Madness

Lord_Yepez:

It really depends on how large you make the units. If you have a unit of 30 blunderbusses you would want to have them 10 wide.

I generally always take a unit of 30 warriors with hand weapon/shields and place them 5X6. However if I was to take great weapon warriors I might use them 10X3.

By immortals do you mean ironsworn? If so not many people field them :)

Time of Madness

Time of Madness
are there any benefits for having them filed that way?? Such as 10 wide versus 5 wide for instance?
same for the warriors, if you have more ranks is there any benefits??
sorry I was reading some fluff online and I came across immortals I thought thats what thier elite troops were called thanks for the correction though!:hat off:D

ClawLeader:

Blunderbusses shoot infront of them. 10 wide means more pain.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

When fielding Blunderbusses, I find 12 wide to be optimal. We need 20 firing models for re-rolls and since I usually have a BSB in there, that means I have to be at least 11 wide. So I go 12 wide just for the extra shots and then reform for ranks when charged.

Infernal Guard I go 5-wide. I’m planning to go 7-wide with my Infernal Ironsworn (first attempt with them will be in my next battle - wish me luck!).

Lord_Yepez:

By immortals do you mean ironsworn? If so not many people field them :)

Time of Madness

Time of Madness
Blunderbusses shoot infront of them. 10 wide means more pain.

ClawLeader
When fielding Blunderbusses, I find 12 wide to be optimal.  We need 20 firing models for re-rolls and since I usually have a BSB in there, that means I have to be at least 11 wide.  So I go 12 wide just for the extra shots and then reform for ranks when charged.

Infernal Guard I go 5-wide.  I'm planning to go 7-wide with my Infernal Ironsworn (first attempt with them will be in my next battle - wish me luck!).

Grimbold Blackhammer
Thanks for the advice everyone!:hat off:)
I was just curious how to rank and file them so that I know which movement trays to get from Base-x-of-war!

Seems like 5 wide and 5/6 deep is the common set up for the warriors, and in regards to the ironsworn the seem to range from 7-10 wide and 3 ranks deep!

Lastly, the blunderbusses all seem to be 10 minimum and only 2 ranks deep so the advice has been very helpful!

Thank you everyone!:hat off:P:):cheers

Dînadan:

Lastly, the blunderbusses all seem to be 10 minimum and only 2 ranks deep so the advice has been very helpful!

Lord_Yepez
Actually you need at least three ranks for blunderbusses - only two ranks can fire, but you need the extra rank to absorb casualties. The special rules for blunderbusses grant a bonus for 20+ firing at once and if you only take 20, as soon as one dies to shooting/magic, you lose the bonus.

Lord_Yepez:

Lord_Yepez
Actually you need at least three ranks for blunderbusses - only two ranks can fire, but you need the extra rank to absorb casualties. The special rules for blunderbusses grant a bonus for 20+ firing at once and if you only take 20, as soon as one dies to shooting/magic, you lose the bonus.

Dînadan
I say take 26. 2 x 13. All shoot and six buddies for possibly casualties.

Effective and expensive enough.

Herby
Oh okay, I see now, I will definitely take twenty 26 then, however is that wih the command squad though?

I mean BSB!

Yodrin:

I go 10x3 with my GW, full command and the BSB in there and the flaming banner usually

timurbannipal:

i like putting the BSB in the 'busses for 2 reasons. The first is if you get caught out and charged before you can reform you’re still stubborn. The other is if he’s at the other end of your unit to a Daemonsmith (mine usually is) they usually align to contact the DS, meaning that your BSB will survive till the end of the round, again giving the unit Stubborn. HE’s pretty survivable, but no one, no matter how well protected can do better than not being attacked…

PhilmacFLy:

How do you setup Fireglaives and how many?

Bloodbeard:

2x5 or 2x6.

Allways run them in small detachments. Good for supporting flank attacks or as protection for a watmachine babysitting daemonsmith.

Two small units rather than one big.

Also lets yhem pick of smaller targets like eagles and such.

Often don’t put standard or champion in them. The standard gives +25VP to enemy if lost.