[Archive] Upcoming Dark Dwarf kickstarter (Macrocosm Miniatures)

Firehammer:

The Dark Dwarves will be coming to Kickstarter on July 1st.

We will be funding the creation/moulding of several new units.

1. Crossbows.
2. Axemen.
3. Bezerkers.
4. Mortars.
5. Bazooka teams.
6. Warbeasts.
7. Weapon teams.
8. Axe and board.
and a few more if we get the funding.

There will be several pledge levels and scope for you to pick packs to meet your pledge levels criteria. We will also have the existing range to choose from.

We are looking forward to getting this project off the ground!

TheHoodedMan:

http://www.macrocosm.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Bazokapromo.jpg

There are some other pics on the website. Look a lot like 1st generation chaos dwarfs, including bazooka a.s.o.

Sjoerdo:

these are all my sculpts. I did them 15 years ago approx.

Hasslefree sold the rights to them and apparently they are now making the most out of the cast, by mixing and matching the different sculpts together and some weapon swaps.

Ghrask Dragh:

Wow, 15 years ago, that time really has flown by!

Hey Sjeordo!! How goes it?

Those looked way better before I think :wink:

Loidrial:

these are all my sculpts. I did them 15 years ago approx.

Hasslefree sold the rights to them and apparently they are now making the most out of the cast, by mixing and matching the different sculpts together and some weapon swaps.

Sjoerdo
How does that feel? To see your own work edited and sold this way from company to company for them to do their own business?
Serious question, not kidding.
You sounded reasonably annoyed.

Admiral:

How does that feel? To see your own work edited and sold this way from company to company for them to do their own business?
Serious question, not kidding.
You sounded reasonably annoyed.

Loidrial
On the other hand it could be rewarding to see one's creations given a new leash of life this way, knowing that they're not out of demand and are still sought after by various companies. Also, with the retooling of the masters collectors with the old poses can complement their collection with new poses.

I too am curious to hear Sjoerdo's thoughts on it as the sculptor.

Murkwood:

Chris at Macrocosm is a great guy, he’s got nothing but love for these sculpts.

The Kickstarter is now live.

Dark Dwarves by Macrocosm — Kickstarter

gIL^:

There is certainly a quality difference between the old ones and the new ones.

So the kickstarter is kickstarting minis that are already done and sculpted by someone else 15 years ago?

Colour me confused batman.

cornixt:

Moulding and production costs are upfront, it’s basically a preorder that ensures all costs are covered beforehand.

Sjoerdo:

Since I didn’t have time or interest anymore in selling copies myself, I gave the moulds of these miniatures to Hasslefree a long time ago for free.

Sole purpose of this was to make sure they stayed available to those interested.

So my response is twofold:

1. I’m very happy that they are still available to the public, regardless of who’s selling them and I with them good luck with the kickstarter.

2. I’m not very happy with most of the conversions they do, but on the other hand the old 2nd edition Perry CD’s also had many versions (head swaps, added details etc.).

Macrocosm:

Hello all

Im Chris from Macrocosm Miniatures.

I thought I might jump in here and see if I can clear a few things up, but 1st let me say this. I love the original sculpts that Sjoerdo did. For many years the original 10 sculpts were on the Hasslefree website and I was longing for them to be expanded, but this never happened.

I approached the chaps at Hasslefree with the idea of taking on the range and expanding it to be a full force in its own right. My plans included adding weapons teams, big guys and expanding the foot troops so that people can field all manner of weapons and equipment.

Now since I set up Macrocosm I have leaned towards using new upcoming and promising sculptors to help them establish a name and a portfolio, obviously there is a financial point here too, as we are in our 2nd year of being a business and being a one man band with a new family its bloody hard work (as documented in the Miniature Wargamining movie that my family are in). I had not actually envisioned this offending Sjoerdo and I can understand his view, especially as he is a great artist that someone is taking his work and altering it would be upsetting. I would love to have him sculpt more miniatures for the range, but as he had said hes not got interest in the range. I wouldn�?Tt be able to afford him at this point in time either.

Now going onto why we went to KS. It has been mentioned that all the moulding costs are upfront so this is a pre order system. This isn�?Tt the case with the new miniatures. What we have are the master moulds for some of the new guys. We need to pay for cleaned up master castings and for the production moulds. Also we are busy sculpting the new miniatures while the campaign is running. If you see the weapons teams and Beasts, they are still in the �?~greens�?T phase and sat at the mould makers. The Maw Cannon is being worked on and the 5k goal hasn�?Tt even be started.

The use of original miniatures in the production of the new ones is actually a very common process used by many companies. The term is �?~dollys�?T. Using dollies we are able to make the army appear very uniformed. If you notice the original ones all had the same style or armour and footwear that made them a group of miniatures rather than a bunch of more individual ones. If you look at the old Citadel and Marauder ranges you can see quite often a lot of similarities between certain sculpts.

The industry is full of a variety of different figures, these our offering and, if you like them, then we would love to have your support!

Thanks for your time and I hope this makes sense to you all.

Chris.

Sjoerdo:

Hello all

Im Chris from Macrocosm Miniatures.

I thought I might jump in here and see if I can clear a few things up, but 1st let me say this. I love the original sculpts that Sjoerdo did. For many years the original 10 sculpts were on the Hasslefree website and I was longing for them to be expanded, but this never happened.

I approached the chaps at Hasslefree with the idea of taking on the range and expanding it to be a full force in its own right. My plans included adding weapons teams, big guys and expanding the foot troops so that people can field all manner of weapons and equipment.

Now since I set up Macrocosm I have leaned towards using new upcoming and promising sculptors to help them establish a name and a portfolio, obviously there is a financial point here too, as we are in our 2nd year of being a business and being a one man band with a new family its bloody hard work (as documented in the Miniature Wargamining movie that my family are in). I had not actually envisioned this offending Sjoerdo and I can understand his view, especially as he is a great artist that someone is taking his work and altering it would be upsetting.  I would love to have him sculpt more miniatures for the range,  but as he had said hes not got interest in the range. I wouldn�?Tt be able to afford him at this point in time either.

Now going onto why we went to KS. It has been mentioned that all the moulding costs are upfront so this is a pre order system. This isn�?Tt the case with the new miniatures. What we have are the master moulds for some of the new guys. We need to pay for cleaned up master castings and for the production moulds. Also we are busy sculpting the new miniatures while the campaign is running. If you see the weapons teams and Beasts,  they are still in the �?~greens�?T phase and sat at the mould makers. The Maw Cannon is being worked on and the 5k goal hasn�?Tt even be started.  

The use of original miniatures in the production of the new ones is actually a very common process used by many companies. The term is �?~dollys�?T. Using dollies we are able to make the army appear very uniformed. If you notice the original ones all had the same style or armour and footwear that made them a group of miniatures rather than a bunch of more individual ones.  If you look at the old Citadel and Marauder ranges you can see quite often a lot of similarities between certain sculpts.

The industry is full of a variety of different figures, these our offering and, if you like them, then we would love to have your support!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2076383099/dark-dwarves

Thanks for your time and I hope this makes sense to you all.

Chris.

Macrocosm
Hi Chris,

Like I said in my post; the best of luck with the Kickstarter, I hope it turns out well:cheers

In the end it is about having a diverse range of all kinds of different miniatures available for the gamers and collectors, that is an initiative I can only support.

I now only sculpt for fun and solely for my good friend Carsten :)

Again best of luck with the venture, was good hearing your side.

Macrocosm:

Thanks fella…

I am attempting to sculpt myself. I started off being so bad! My cannon balls looked like rugby balls!

Sjoerdo:

Thanks fella.......

I am attempting to sculpt myself. I started off being so bad! My cannon balls looked like rugby balls!

Macrocosm
Problem that's easily fixed, switch to Bloodbowl ;)

Poison:

really nice models you have there. the berserkers remind me a bit of the rackham mid nor dwarves but still fit really nice with the rest!

Macrocosm:

really nice models you have there. the berserkers remind me a bit of the rackham mid nor dwarves but still fit really nice with the rest!

Poison
Thanks Poison.

Those ones were Paul Naylors offering to the project. Paul runs his own store (Firedragon Games) and has a history of haven won a Golden Daemon award back in the day. Hes really pleased at how they turned out and will be doing some more work soon.

http://demonwinner.free.fr/uk/1992/golden_demon_winner.php?categorie=10

Macrocosm:

And we have been ticking on nicely.

Only just over £200 till the next unlock!

A few interesting things have landed…

[attachment=5081]

Macrocosm:

We are into the last 71 hours of the Campaign.

A number of interesting things have been unlocked. I am looking forward to The Dark Tower if we can reach that goal!

Bloodbeard:

Congratulations on a very succesful campaign! I hope you make it to the juggernaught!

Very happy to see old school bullcentuars. That is excellent and needed for our 2nd ed lobing brethern.

Pyro Stick:

Oooohhh i would really like to see the dark tower. Theres not really anything else in the campaign that im after but thats one model i would most likely pledge for if i could see a WIP or artwork first.