[Archive] U'zhul/Skulltaker/Slayer of Kings Questions

Necrotique:

Reading through the Daemons Codex (and Blood for the Blood God) Skulltakers’ name is U’zhul, which is also the name of the daemon bound inside Archaons’ sword.

How excactly does this work? It’s been bugging me for a while now.

Are we assuming that when Grimgor defeated Archaon in the SoC campaign he broke his sword, releasing him from it?

Also, he looks like a lesser daemon but in the Blood for the Blood God book he’s described as a greater daemon of khorne. He’s also called the Slayer of Kings, the same as Archaons’ sword.

Is this meant to be a coincidence or just a major cock-up on the Editorial Teams’ behalf?

Unless it’s meant to be his essence in the sword or something, but the Storm of Chaos book specifically states it’s the bound spirit of the daemon U’zhul bound in the sword. :~

Any help explaining this would be appreciated.

:cheers

Thommy H:

He’s probably supposed to be a historical character, like Grom and Gorbad Ironclaw in the O&G book. Maybe the Daemons book describes him before he was bound into the sword.

nitroglysarine:

I’d suspect it is historical as Thommy said. It does happen that a range of time periods are made for in the same range.

secret apprentice:

Remember that the realm of Chaos also does not follow the flow of time normally making it possible for him to have never been in the sword before while also having always been in it…

nitroglysarine:

He could even maybe wield the sword of himself, himself :wink:

Necrotique:

I just find it odd that he can be fielded in a DoC army while also riding Archaons’ scabbard around a battlefield in a WoC army. I guess it’s a cumulation of what you guys said though - he’s historical but the Wastes can change the flow of time greatly.

Was just wondering as it seems a bit odd when I read the books side-by-side :stuck_out_tongue:

Thommy H:

I just find it odd that he can be fielded in a DoC army while also riding Archaons' scabbard around a battlefield in a WoC army.
No stranger than, say, an O&G army led by Grimgor fighting a VC army lead by Vlad, since their lives don't overlap. There are quite a few "historical" characters like that, and you can either brush over it when they meet in battle, come up with some convoluted explanation or pretend one is just a counts-as character. I don't think it's anything you should be losing sleep over though.

Necrotique:

I just find it odd that he can be fielded in a DoC army while also riding Archaons' scabbard around a battlefield in a WoC army.
No stranger than, say, an O&G army led by Grimgor fighting a VC army lead by Vlad, since their lives don't overlap. There are quite a few "historical" characters like that, and you can either brush over it when they meet in battle, come up with some convoluted explanation or pretend one is just a counts-as character. I don't think it's anything you should be losing sleep over though.

Thommy H
True, it's just that Blood for the Blood God has yet another timeline of events in it that conflicts. Ah well, it's just that I'm nit-picky with the fluff and history.
Incidentally I'm using Skulltaker as a Daemon Prince in my WoC army, but I just find it odd that he'll be at Archaons hip while heading his own army.
The losing sleep line made me chuckle :)

cornixt:

I think several of the special characters have previously been killed in the fluff, but there they are in the books!

I find it funny that Bloodthirsters carry axes that contain Bloodthirsters. Do those inside the axes also have axes?

fonejaker:

I think several of the special characters have previously been killed in the fluff, but there they are in the books!

I find it funny that Bloodthirsters carry axes that contain Bloodthirsters. Do those inside the axes also have axes?

cornixt
Don't say that, its just a matter of time before someone does a "yo dawg" photo of this

Sanguinarian:

This is all part of the fun of Chaos, if you can imagine it, it can happen :wink:

It could be that Skulltaker exists through different timelines, it could be that he exists in multiple forms. The whole point of daemons is that they defy logic.

For example, daemons are an extension of their God. Tzeentch feared to enter the well of eternity and yet he was willing to throw Kairos in there. Kairos is an element of Tzeentch, so Tzeentch couldn’t have feared the well of eternity entirely. The mind boggles. Maybe Khorne felt that his personal executioner would best serve him as a sword as well as he would as a daemon so the blood God decided to have his cake and eat it?

Or maybe Chaos is simply GW’s convenient fallback for any mistakes they might make :cheers

Necrotique:

“Yo dawg, we heard you liked claiming skulls so we put a bloodthirster with an axe in the hands of a bloodthirster with an axe so you can claim skulls while you claim skulls” or some-such. :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess it is just part of the fluff but I feel it would have been better if they explained it as Grimgor damaging Archaons’ sword when sucker-punching him in the SoC campaign, allowing just enough of U’zhul to escape before he could get his Chaos Dwarf key-maker to patch it up for him.

Ah well, this is coming from someone who likes to field an army with as much in it as possible, so it’s bound to happen sometime.

So, as Sanguinarian said, U’zhul is a powerful being in and of himself while still remaining an extension of Khornes’ soul, so to speak.