[Archive] vampires and how to deafet them

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

how do you beat vampire count with lizardmen in a 1000 pt or less battel i’m really bug of with

zorn sabretooth:

ha ha i beat you

AGPO:

Zorn if you can’t be constructive don’t post. Neither the mods nor the other users tolerate flaming

@ Godbob - there’s quite an extensive tactics section elsewhere on the site, but not having played the new Vamps (I still play old rules most of the time). Lizards tend to suffer in small games unfortunately, I’d just up the points and Slaan their asses

wallacer:

At low points I would think your best option is to take Skinks and Salamanders and just shoot the crud out of them.

VC don’t have skirmishing Ghouls anymore to carve up your Skinks with, and VC core troops also tend to have fairly low armour saves, so should be very killable with blow pipes or javelins.

Won’t be a fun game, but it’s probably your best bet.

Theory_Man:

Salamanders, Kroxs and/or Saurus Calvary are a good choices (all cause fear!).

Saurus Hero with the Bane Head and some other magic items could be a match for his vampire general.

Make sure you have a counter to ethereal units and magic.

Go on the GW website and read up on them!

well i didn’t get to use saurus calvary to many points but i did use bane head but didn’t wound the blood drag vamp so he killed my saurus warrior and my skinks also got muched but my kroxs just died.Plus theory man who needs fear causing unit if undead are immune to psych.

p.s thanks Zorn.

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

use an army full of skinks and out maneuver him and shoot him to death, use terrordons - the flying things - to slow him down

turquois dwarf:

rrealy tooled up saurus hero with loads of attacks in a unit of saurus cavalry try and get him in the flank and kill him with combat resolution

zorn sabretooth:

nah it was just because i was the one who beat him

Deebo:

Vampires are a bit of a pain these days but if you can either stop there magic or kill there vampire, your home and hosed!

Skinks are deffinately a thorn in anyones side with the multiple shot with poison through the blow pipe, this can be very painfull to your opponant plus you can hide them in water features that they can not enter my friends hate this!

Also think about upgrading some skinks to scouts then you can get behind them and blow some darts at that pesky vampire!

I did this once with 10 skinks and near took out the vampire in one turn!

furrie:

I can’t realy help you, the battles I played against VC where with the old DOC (6th) and the reason I won was because of my deamon prince with the mark of slaanesh

thank you for helping all of you so get ready zorn because i am

Grish:

Beware of Wraiths. They will tear up your army in small games. Luckily, they are quite expensive, but a unit of 5 will do heavy damage.

Skinks are a good choice, as they are maneuverable and poison will damage things like Varghulfs, Black Coach, ghouls.

Vampires probably suffer more than lizardmen in low point games. No shooting, low magic phase. Trying to catch people with blocks of infantry. Isn’t very effective.

Vampires best bet in games like this would be units like Cairn Wraiths, Varghulfs, skeletons, grave guard. Magic heavy would be the way to go, with a pair of vampires or a vampire/necromancer combo. Lvl 2, a Master power, black periapt. Will give 5 power dice with a single caster. Necromancer with VHD, Book of Arkhan for speed, possibly mounted on a corpse cart with the Unholy Loadstone to help heal expensive units… although 100 pts for a corpse cart at this level of play is pretty expensive.

Vampires best bet in games like this would be units like Cairn Wraiths, Varghulfs, skeletons, grave guard. Magic heavy would be the way to go, with a pair of vampires or a vampire/necromancer combo. Lvl 2, a Master power, black periapt. Will give 5 power dice with a single caster. Necromancer with VHD, Book of Arkhan for speed, possibly mounted on a corpse cart with the Unholy Loadstone to help heal expensive units... although 100 pts for a corpse cart at this level of play is pretty expensive.

Grish
no no no help me not them:mad

Grish:

The more I look at it, I only see two effective approaches. Either keep your force mobile (skinks, saurus cav, salamanders) and ensure you have magic weapons to defend against wraiths (Scimitar of Sun Resplendant, Pirahna blade, sword of might) or go infantry heavy.

LZ infantry works very well against vampire armies as lizardmen have extra attacks that chew through vampire infantry. Both ways I’d try to fit in some extra dispel dice by taking appropriate spawnings (Tepok). I’d also probably equip the banehead to scare the bejebus out of the vampire character.

Made a quick list (unsure of rules as I don’t have proper book at work):

Saurus Scar-Veteran @ 180 Pts

General; Light Armour; Itzl; Tepok

Sword of Might, Bane Head, Enchanted Shield

Cold One

Saurus Scar-Veteran @ 187 Pts

Light Armour; Shield; Itzl; Tepok

Scimitar of the Sun Resplendent

Cold One

Saurus Scar-Veteran @ 127 Pts

Light Armour; Shield; Itzl

Biting Blade

Cold One

5 Saurus Cavalry @ 175 Pts

Spear; Shield

3 Salamander Hunting Packs @ 195 Pts

10 Skink Skirmishers @ 60 Pts

Blowpipe

10 Skink Skirmishers @ 60 Pts

Blowpipe

Casting Pool: 2

Dispel Pool: 4

Models in Army: 40

Total Army Cost: 984

I think this would be pretty good. The problem with 1000 pts is it’s hard to make a balanced list. A lot comes down to rock/paper/scissors. The biting blade I’m not sure of; perhaps just a spear and venom of the firefly frog. VC don’t have heavy armour to speak of.

This list is an all of your eggs in one basket approach, but if he brings 5 wraiths you’d need the magic attacks. Also if he brings a Varghulf you need something strong enough to take it as well.

al-hashut:

You should probably throw in a few surprises of your own, as i imagine Zorn is keeping a close eye on this thread and will be able to alter his force according to your unit/magic item selection :wink:

Grish:

cough yeah, that was the distraction army… so Zorn takes the wrong stuff to counter it…

Sorry! Forgot his opponent was the 2nd poster.

Fridericus_Rex:

I tell you now, what a lot of guys already done. Take skinks and salamanders. Shot them back to their graves, and tell them a lesson who’s the realy sorcererchief!

I hope I could help.

FR

Grish:

Yeah, the only issue with the skinks is Wraiths. If he takes a decent size block of wraiths, how will that list counter them…? He could hole up and just use that unit to wipe the board.

speedygogo:

The interesting thing about the new VC is that Vampire general’s are hiding now with the helm of command rather than fighting. Vampires are going to have big magic phases so you will have to allocate your magic defense to stop the spell you can’t afford to go off. Lizardmen can do well against the VC. The key to beating them is character hunting and using the lore of light is very effective against them. If you have strong shooting and magic back with a couple of fighty units you should be fine.