[Archive] Veksi's Evil Dwarfs and random orcs

Veksi:

Hey, I’m new here, and I decided to show you few pictures I’ve taken.

Here’s two Rugluds armoured orc’s crossbowmen I painted like two-three years ago. Someday I’ll finish the whole regiment…

And here’s eh, hmm, big-ass work in progress pic of my evil stunties :hat off I think I finally got the right theme for them, all those are currently test-pieces. But the army was cheap, hooray. They are waiting to be stripped.

Hopefully this works! All comments are welcome :slight_smile:

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

Blue in VT:

:hat off Welcome friend and well met!

I love the skin tone on your orcs…its has great depth and is very “realistic” if that is something that you can say about orcs…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And hey if you got that group of big hat CDs cheap…they you are a lucky man…that is some serious $ in todays market.

I look fwd to seeing how your projects come along.

Cheers.

Blue

tjub:

Those orcs look great! …and Im happy to see that you went for big hats. :wink:

Thommy H:

Very impressive Orcs. I’m looking forward to seeing the rest if they’re painted to that standard.

that guy:

Welcome and I concur with all those before me, great lookin orcs and cant wait to see more.

Veksi:

Thanks for your comments everyone! I haven’t painted the mad hatters but one, but when I do more progress, you’re the firsts to know:)

I managed to take more pictures of my random figs, which were almost ready. Take a look. Here’s bruiser-brothers and a wicked stick from up north!

The picture sizes are not standard, sorry for that. I’m fixing the problem.

Thanks!

nitroglysarine:

cool ogres, not seen a giants head in the hands before.

Merchant:

Welcome mate, you do have a great hand when it comes to the painting part :slight_smile:

I’ll be looking forward to see some CDs from you (up close) :wink:

Cheers lad

Da Crusha:

wow you have some impressive paint skills. the tyrant and butcher are awesome. Ill look forward to more.

G.2:

Firstly, I would like to welcome you to the forums. Nice choice of CD army…I am fan of the Big Hats too.

Secondly, well done on scoring a CHEAP Chaos Dwarf army, that does not happen very often, and it is great when it does happen - so well done.

Thirdly, I applaud you, on your painting skills. The orks look great, it is such a refreshing change to NOT see bright green ork skin. Thank you. The ogres look great and the Giant’s head is a very nice touch.

Fourthly, I am really looking forward to seeing some of your Chaos Dwarfs painted.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Veksi:

I thank thee for your kind comments! I decided to share these two test-pictures of my only painted chaos dwarf!
It’s a rough sample what I’m planning to do, but maybe you get the point. And obligatory “sorry for the dark pic”-comment.

Darn! As you can see, the backside-pic shows the horrendously thick paint on the armor and too sharp highlight on the dreadlocks… I didn’t see that while painting!:o Also, the back of the shield is waiting to get painted. The back-pic is maybe a bit not too realistic with the actual color, thanks for the lack of photographing and photoshopping-skills! :slight_smile: Not sure about the shoulderpads. This truly is a test piece!
When I purchased this army, it took about 4 months and I found a mint-condition CD army book from auction. And about a year later my friends friend found a Hobgoblin big boss on wolf from his bits-box, and GAVE it to me. I’ve really been a lucky git.

EDIT4. They really look like evil little santas or tiny trolls that live under trees? Hihihih

G.2:

Ohhhhhh!!! these are nice. I like the front view a LOT. I like the “darkness” of your painting technique. It is nice to see a ‘realistic’ colour scheme being used, instead of really bright colours. I would love to see some painting tutorials from you, expecially on how you painted the face/skin - very nice work.

Veksi:

Ohhhhhh!!!! these are nice. I like the front view a LOT. I like the "darkness" of your painting technique. It is nice to see a 'realistic' colour scheme being used, instead of really bright colours. I would love to see some painting tutorials from you, expecially on how you painted the face/skin - very nice work.

G.2
Thank you! The skin is really easy, something like this:
The whole miniature was basecoated white. Basecoat the skin with tallarn flesh. Take a bit white, and paint highlights. Then even more white, and make sharp highlights.
THEN! Take random inks and washes. I used purple ink, and added baal red-wash to it. If you wan't to be hardocore, put a bit green ink/wash to the mix. Brown ink or paint does also well. The colour of the mix is something between red-brown-purple. I washed this mix only to the recess-areas, like eyes, chins, and nose + lips. After this is dry, highlight with tallarn flesh and white. And finally add a little red wash to the tip of the nose, nostrils, and to the eyes, but water it down carefully! All the paint and wash amounts are minimal and thin.
I really have no specific recipe for skin, I use those paints and washes which happen to be on my table at the moment :cheers So... every miniature have different tones on them. Ehrm.

tjub:

Wow, looks awesome! :smiley:

Golder Goldeater:

These would take at least 9/10 at CMON!I personally give em a solid 10/10…NO! a 100/10! Ace work!

Please tell us how do u paint the orc’s skin and the CD’s noses!

Thanks

It is nice to see a ‘realistic’ colour scheme being used, instead of really bright colours.

G.2
:~ What’s that supposed to mean?:~

Veksi:

These would take at least 9/10 at CMON!I personally give em a solid 10/10...NO! a 100/10! Ace work!
Please tell us how do u paint the orc's skin and the CD's noses!
Thanks

Golder Goldeater
Thank you sir very much :hat off
Heres' a copypasted "guide" that I wrote yesterday: Well, this is tricky. I started up with a random mix of tallarn flesh, knarloc green and something random brown-mix. Then I built up few rough layers with lighter green by adding tallarn flesh or elf flesh to the green mix. After that I highlighted all the wanted areas with very light flesh, in this case something between dheneb stone, elf fles or light green. After this I slapped red/green/brown (a mix on blood red, GW's green wash and that random brown junk, maybe also dark blue) wash to the wanted recess-areas. After wash, I took wet tallarn flesh again, and layered some of the muscles from their ends to make the skin look more, err, I don't know. Human? Orcy? Something between? Finally highlight again, maybe add very light washes where needed. Those pictures are not maybe the best example of this "method" x.x
I really have no specific recipe for orcs, I just use those paints which happen to be on my table at the moment. So, all the orcs look a bit different, but I think it's really cool actually. Like in the lord of the rings, orcs were very colorful, not all the same tone!  
I hope this helps.
Oh! And dwarf-skin-guide is in this thread, scroll up a bit.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Excellent models and a great painting style!

Can’t wait to see more of your wonderful work!

Also, it’s nice to see the original CD boxes and box art!

G.2:

Thanks for the tutorials on the skin. I am going to give it go the next time I sitting down at my painitng table. (it has been many weeks).

The whole miniature was basecoated white.

Veksi
So do you basecoat ALL your minis in white. They seem so ‘dark’, that I would have guessed that your minis are actually basecoated black. I am very surprised.

Also, can you give us one more tip, on how you did the Chaos Dwarfs Axe and Helmet. It looks simple, but I am sure you have a few tricks to make it look that good. - Thank you.

Borador:

First of all, welcome to CDO!

Secondly; man you are a great painter!

And last but not least; I think you should try painting some 3rd eds aswell, I’ll bet they look great when you’re done with them! (plus; 3rd eds are more awesome haha)

Veksi:

Thanks for the tutorials on the skin. I am going to give it go the next time I sitting down at my painitng table. (it has been many weeks).
The whole miniature was basecoated white.

Veksi
So do you basecoat ALL your minis in white. They seem so 'dark', that I would have guessed that your minis are actually basecoated black. I am very surprised.

Also, can you give us one more tip, on how you did the Chaos Dwarfs Axe and Helmet. It looks simple, but I am sure you have a few tricks to make it look that good. - Thank you.

G.2
You gave me slaves!! Thank you very much :D
So, here's the other tips:
I don't basecoat all my minis white, sometimes I don't use basecoat at all! Trough the past years, all the white primers I've bought have been in bad condition, and I've not used wihte primer for long time. When there's a miniature whit lots of detail, the primer might be a bad idea, if it's ruined like all my primers.... Khemri brown, charadon granite or snakebite leather are as good basecoats in my opinion, when applied with brush with thin layers. Black primer is good for painting big regiment of orcs, but because mostly I paint every mini individually, I brush the basecoat to them :hat off

To the axe:
Make a suitable mix of boltgun metal and a little black. Brush it all over the weapon, let dry, and repeat if needed. Take your drybrush, and softly add mithril silver there and there, not too much. Concentrate on all the edges, blade etc.
Take a little badab black-wash and make a med-thin layer over the blade, not the pole/rod what ever it is. Let dry.

Rust/Aging

Step 1: The secret weapon here is wallejo's earth pigments. Take one out, I prefer Brown Iron oxide (and that's the all I got! Heh!) And take a small amount of dust to your paint-bowl. Add a little water, mix it up and then splash over the weapon. Concentrate on recess-areas, in this case below the decorations, all the corner areas and so on. Let dry. When dry, sweep over the weapon with finger or dry brush to get rid off the leftover dust.

Step 2: Secret weapon number two is pastel chalk, orange or brown. I use mid-orange. Take your modelling knife, and scrape a little dust from the chalk. Add water, do the same prosess as with the pigment a moment ago. That's the rust! You can add more chalk or pigment where ever you like to, and which looks in your opinion better.

Step 3. Drybrush the edges with mithril, lighlty. Pastel detachs from the miniature very easily, if you dont use varnish with it.
And finally use pigment or pastel to fix the crappy-looking parts.

The hat is made almost like the same, but I painted the hood black, and used the rusting tech to all decorations. Vallejo pigment is layered softly to the hoods surface.

Hope this helps!

EDIT! I almost forgot! After the rusting, I used a little badab black or green wash to seal the pigment and chalk. That's the reason why the blade tinges in green ;)