[Archive] Video Tutorial: Magnetizing Warhammer Units

Xander:

Oh snap, I’m back with new videos!

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

:hat off

Hrothgar Goldgreed:

Oh, now that is nice … exactly what I need.

Thanks!!  :hat off

Edit after watching part 1:

I hope I can find something like that at the local dollarstore (or better, eurostore :))!

I got a question though, I only use metal figures and as they’re much heavier than plastic ones, how strong a magnet would I need for them to stick to the tray? Would the ones you’re showing there be sufficient?

wallacer:

Nice tutorial. I really should magnetise my Skaven…

Hrothgar Goldgreed:

Just finished watching part 3 and obviously these kind of magnets won’t be good enough for metal figures.

Any advice? I’ve been searching for ages for the right kind of magnets, but every time I make an attempt I end up right where I began.

Grimstonefire:

Good video, shame about the accelerant. :wink:

You should have a go at magnetising models next, where people cut out parts for magnets then greenstuff over so you can’t see them.

Over at bugmans a guy did a combination of this with magnetised bases, he made a scenic rocky base with loads of magnets on it then had magnets under each base. It would have looked better if there had been spaces cut into it for the models, but you get the idea.

Hrothgar Goldgreed:

Over at bugmans a guy did a combination of this with magnetised bases, he made a scenic rocky base with loads of magnets on it then had magnets under each base. It would have looked better if there had been spaces cut into it for the models, but you get the idea.
It vaguely rings a bell, but at first I thought I missed that one (unbelieveable!), do you have a link? A few keywords to look it up via search will suffice, too :hat off

Xander:

The method works fine for metal models if you just want to transport them and have them not tip over while playing. I’ve done this process on Blood Knights, and it made them stay upright very effectively.

Da Crusha:

Just finished watching part 3 and obviously these kind of magnets won't be good enough for metal figures.

Any advice? I've been searching for ages for the right kind of magnets, but every time I make an attempt I end up right where I began.

Hrothgar Goldgreed
you can use rare earth magnets they are incredibly strong and will hold metal, i've gotten little bruises before from the magnets popping up and pinching my fingers. you can get them really small too, 1/16 inch big. they cost about $ 0.15 each

Theory_Man:

Quick question Xander, why did you choose to place the metal on the movement trays and the magnets on the miniatures. It seems that if you ever had to replace the magnets, it would be easier to do so on the movement tray and not the miniatures.

Also, nice videos.

Kera foehunter:

Thanks Xander for the cool vidio !! once again it over the top !!

hey !! those guys are a little tall for cds lol

astragoth:

thanks a lot! soon enoght i should magnitize all my units.

Xander:

Glad I could help!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

kingeamonn:

So ur turning to chaos now arent u