[Archive] War of the Ring

Hashut’s Blessing:

Okay, now, first things first, as odd as it sounds I’m not sure this goes here, but I am asking for advice, so it seems applicable.

I have the War of the Ring book, but have only collected Dwarfs and a few men, the odd high elf here and there (LotR HEs are actualy cool. Modelwise. Otherwise, they’re still arrogant, poncy, pretentous, little… I digress…). Anywho, essentially, there is a LotR Doubles tournament in July and I wish to attend, meaning I need to quickly buy, build and paint 350 points of evil army, as well as take my Good army. I’m still debating upon which Evil side stuff to get, but I’m going to get models according to a WotR list, since that’s what I’ll play more of. I rarely go to tournaments, but I decided a Doubles would be fun.

So, it boils down to: Which of the 5 Evil side armies should I collect? I’m leaning towards the Fallen Realms (or wahtever it’s called. The all men army), but the Khandish seem to have a lot of one-pose models (the horsemen in particular), the Haradrim and Serpent warriors aren;t to my taste, the Corsairs have one entry and the Easterings only get 20 in a box, which annoys me. On top of this, Khamul the Easterling is the only Epic Hero want to take (possibly some of the other Ringwraiths, but I’ve not looked properly).

Aternatively, I could get some as an allied contingent (mostly because I love the idea of a Mumakil with Easterlings manning it). But, then it’s a case of which to take? The Misty Mountains has cool monsters EVERYWHERE, but I can;t be bothered with LOADS of goblins and don;t want it to all be monsters. Mordor is cool because of the heroes, mostly the Ringwraiths, but I can;t be bothered with the orcs and uruk-hai. The orcs aren;t to my taste and uruk-hai are too “samey” as such…

Any help would be appreciated.

Kera foehunter:

that sooooooooo easy the corsairs!!!

Hashut’s Blessing:

But, the corsairs would bore me very swiftly. I know I can use them with other evil men, but there are only three different formations you can make with them and that’s simply because of their weapon options. There’s one entry, but you can give them shields or bows as well. So, I’d get bored very swiftly (as I want to have a key theme for the army, I.E. predominantly one kind of evil man-realm).

speedygogo:

Why not convert your existing dwarfs into chaos dwarfs and play them as a counts as army? That way you can feed your nefarious desires within the game system while bringing your own creativity to the Tolkien universe.

Kera foehunter:

Well when you get bored !! you can give them to me

Hashut’s Blessing:

speedygogo, it’s not like I hadn’t considered that, lol. Unfortunately, I need both a Good AND Evil army at the tournament. So, the Dwarfs will stay as is, being almost fully completed now. I bought a box of Easterlings. Unfortunately, I need the sourcebook of Shadow in the East or whatever it’s called lol :smiley: So, need to buy that and then plan the army. However, I DO have some cool plans for expanding upon the Easterlings for a War of the Ring army (several things shall be zoo animals: guess as best ya can :wink: ), but right now, I need a LORD of the Rings army, which I shall later expand into a WAR of the Rings army. Since it seems I’m starting with Easterlings, for the tournament, does anybody have any suggestions? Once this is over, it’ll be time for ideas on expanding to WotR size. Khamul the Easterling shall most definitely appear, hopefully in the tourny army. I kind of want to fit the king in too (who can be used as the Lord of Blades in WotR) if possible and as many of the Easterlings as possible. I have no idea what makes a Dragon Knight better, nor what they look like and the Kataphrakts are a little pricey for me, whom has no job still, right now.

Kera foehunter:

do the easterling then just get a Elephant !! ta da your be done

and one elf model there your whole armys

Hashut’s Blessing:

Hahaha, Kera, my Good army is almost completed (just need to do basing) and you’re spoiling my cool zoo surprise :wink:

However, you must take at least 3 models for each (no more than 75 between you for Good and 75 between you for Evil) and an Oliphaunt is too expensive in 350 points.

Kera foehunter:

well call a dating service and get two of there best models!!!

o points but it might cost you a few pounds

Hashut’s Blessing:

I know it’s been quite some time, but I felt it relevant to the topic of a lot of my posts in this thread - I have completed the conversion of Kamhul riding a camel and an Isengard troll into an Easterling troll (just need to pin the hands to make them interchangeable). Not yet painted them, but will get to it. Also, not had the funds for the Mumak, but I’ll get to it!