[Archive] Warhammer Expencive?

Deebo:

There is alot of talk about Warhammer being expencive and evan I am guilty of being on this band wagon but…

Is it really?

Well I still say yes it is but (again) what is cheap these days?

Everything (just about) is over the top, price wise and it just seems to get worse as we get older and get “back in my day” syndrome.

Hobbies are notorious for being expencive and games are too.

So many of you play video games… how much money have you lost on them? New PS3 game for instance in au$80-$100 per game after you buy the $600 odd console… thats ALOT of warhammer.

Remote control car hobby… what $500+ for your basic car then you can buy more and fiddle… thats also ALOT of warhammer… but people still pay these prices for these things and we whine about about GW prices.

Atleast our models dont blow engines or get scratched and dont work anymore, it takes a bit to ruin a model beyond repair, I would love to see someone super glue a dvd back together and have it work like new.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Well, I don’t see why people pay this much miney for such things. Wait until the PS3 has been out for some time and it’ll drop in price as will its games after a certain amount of time. With those things, they depreciate. Not to say that everything isn’t overpriced, I agree more than anybody on that…

Sojourn:

hehe, I don’t buy WH for that reason, and usually have a stunned look on my face when Xander tells me how much HE spent. I then suggest that money be put towards better causes… me.

although I will agree that many things are expensive nowadays, and they’re only going to go up given cost of oil and other commodities, transportation will be increasing on products thereby increasing the sales price to recoup costs. Hopefully my raises will compensate! It all comes down to, if you have the money, you may as well buy something that makes you happy. If you get joy out of expensive little plastic people, then by all means. If you play your $80 game a lot (thankfully Wii games are only $50ish) then that’s worth it too. Ultimately, price becomes insignificant if it’s what you want.

and back to my point about the shock I feel when Xander drops money on WH… he’s equally shocked when he finds out how much I spend on clothing, shoes and make up. All of which works in his favour as it makes me prettier for him n_n

Hammerhand:

Expensive hobby? I recently stareted karting and…

second hand Go kart chassis - £600 ($1150 US

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

well every time someone tells me that it’s expensive i just think i can’t imagen them ceaper although some can be

Geckilian:

Well I tend to buy in bulk and sell of what I don’t need, though this sometimes ends up being most of it. This way I can get a lot of stuff comparatively cheap. For example my current goal is 2,000 points of Chaos Dwarfs for under £100. The only hindrance to this plan is converted Hobgoblins, heh.

wallacer:

Cheap and Expensive are fairly meaningless words, since they’re entirely dependent on what they’re being compared to and the disposable income that a person has available.

As already mentioned, there are far more expensive hobbies out there than Warhammer.  The problem isn’t so much that Warhammer is expensive (however you want to define it) but rather that people outside the hobby find it difficult to comprehend how so much enjoyment can be derived from little toy soldiers, hence the relative cost is hard for them to understand.

Deebo:

:o Holy flying cowasaurus!

That is a very expencive hobby hammer hand!

I imagine its also alot of fun though and also massive amounts of Warhammer!

Wallacer that is a great point for people outside warhammer but I meant the gamers (evan myslf till I really thought about it) complaining about the cost.

My dear old mum is always on my case about how much money I spend on warhammer but she dont know Jack hehe :hat off

Geckilian:

Heh, my Dad used to complain about how much money I spent on Warhammer. It wasn’t till it was pointed out that I didn’t drink or smoke that he realized that my money could be spent on much worse things, heheheh. Plus from a parent’s view, Warhammer may be expensive, but it helps the child gain friends, establishes a social circle, and there are far worse things than knowing your child is going to be quiet for the next 4 or 5 hours as he paints little soldiers.

I’m sure parents love the hobby simply for the peace and quiet it nets them, and as such disregard the cost as best they can.

Deebo:

Dont forget all the reading, especially for the real young players, it must be a plus to see them keen to pick up a rather sizeable book to read rather then grabbing the old playstation controller.

And as for the cost just show interest in remote control cars… that nice shiny one at the shop for $899, I am sure dad will like the $50 regiment box alot better!

Also, has anyone noticed how in general how well behaved Warhammer kids are? (generally, there are still the odd brats out there, I think anyways )

Kera foehunter:

well its not cheep but you keep your eyes open you can get a deal.Why pay full price

Geckilian:

Most of the Warhammer kids down the local Games Workshop are remarkably literate and speak clearly, unless they’re really excited. It’s a marked difference to children of roughly similar ages I see when at work, who are usually just being a pain to their parents. So it seems like the Warhammer environment helps. Either that or the kids know that if they mouth off and mess about they just won’t be welcome in the GW store again.

Deebo:

haha, its a great thing to keep them under control huh, behave or “no warhammer for you!” reminds me of the soup nazi in sienfeld.

The teachers at schools must love the warhammer kids, less work in english for them!

hmmm maybe GW could sell off stuff to schools as an “educational” game :wink:

wallacer:

I have a friend who says Warhammer helped his son enormously with his mathematical abilities. Apparently he used to avoid maths like the plague until he discovered he needed it for working out army lists. Now he can crunch numbers with the best of them :rolleyes:

Grish:

I find it strange what people accept and don’t. I see people blowing 50-100 dollars on alcohol a week; that’s socially fine and accepted it seems, but a painting/gaming hobby is not. Going out to the movies is the cost of a regiment. If you get more enjoyment out of warhammer than doing other things, go for it. I’ve probably spent close to 1000 now, and don’t regret it.

…how much I spend on clothing, shoes and make up. All of which works in his favour as it makes me prettier for him n_n

Sojourn
Luckily my FOB doesn’t wear make-up, so that’s a big savings. She bought a bunch for a wedding, and I was stunned at how much it cost. Where do hookers find the money?

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

and there are far worse things than knowing your child is going to be quiet for the next 4 or 5 hours as he paints little soldiers.

Geckilian
ah yes that trick just say what would you like me doing playing WH or on the street smoking and drinking that normaly shuts them up
Also, has anyone noticed how in general how well behaved Warhammer kids are? (generally, there are still the odd brats out there, I think anyways )

Deebo
at my local GW even the ones yonger are cockie but i'm taller then them (well i am tall for my age) and tower over them then they cower :D

Lord Darkash:

...Where do hookers find the money?

Grish
Umm... are you sure you want an answer to that?? :o

Grish:

I always assumed the money went to crack/cocaine. Now I’m not too sure.

Theory_Man:

...Where do hookers find the money?

Grish
Umm... are you sure you want an answer to that?? :o

Lord Darkash
Why don't we ask Eliot Spitzer? He should know.

I heard Eliot Spitzer is going to be a commercial for klondike bars ("What would you do for a Klondike bar?").

Just Joking :P

AGPO:

Personally, I look at cost in terms of price/hours of use. My hordes of chaos book cost twelve quid but was used virtually every other day until it became unofficial. the £2.50 I spend on a pint (admitedly a very nice one) is gone in the time it takes me to savour the refreshing taste of real ale. Not long. I still use my first wood elf army bought over a decade ago. A waste of money? I think not. Compare that to a £50 video game which after you’ve taken three obsessive days to complete it loses all appeal. I’d rather buy a battle force that’ll have me gaming for the next few years