[Archive] Warhammer Forge Rules-where are they?

Nebuchandnezzar:

Yeah, I honestly can’t find the rules for them either, along with the infamous naphtha bomb. It would be interesting to see how the blunderbusses are being treated now…

Nicodemus:

As far as I know, The hailshot and naphtha bomb rules haven’t been leaked anywhere, so we’ll just have to wait and see. I’ve heard rumors about the blunderbusses, but haven’t seen anything besides Warseer:

range 12, S3, Armour piercing.

D3 multiple shots (roll once for the unit).

Unit size 10+ blunderbusses: No long range penalty or stand and shoot reaction penality

Unit size 20+ blunderbusses: Reroll failed to wound rolls

Nebuchandnezzar:

They seem decent enough so I’ll be waiting for the WF release of the blunderbussers in 3012 along with the next WF book :stuck_out_tongue:

Time of Madness:

Problem with the blunderbuss units is they get very expensive for large units. And you now need large units to take full advanatage of the new rules.

On top of that the 12" range means you may only get to shoot once or twice a game. For the amount of points it is going to cost for these guys you might as well invest in fireglaives instead.

I was kinda hoping I could use blunders in small/flanking type units to protect some war machines and get a few shots off, but the range and S3 is just not going to cut it.

Time of Madness

Nicodemus:

On top of that the 12" range means you may only get to shoot once or twice a game. For the amount of points it is going to cost for these guys you might as well invest in fireglaives instead.

Time of Madness
^
What ToM said. Last number of games I've played my Blunderbuss units have been barely able to make one or two shooting attacks before beign stuck in close combat or not even being able to get into combat at all. The 18" range of the Fireglaives has been working so much better for me I've been fielding them my last number of games instead!

~N

Shimsham:

Thanks to those guys who pointed me in the right direction. The rules look pretty cool, but the points cost of the bull centaurs and the afore mentioned blunderbus issue, but have any of you noticed the the deamonsmith sorcerer hasn’t got access to the lore of hashut? How do you guys play this? I would have thought he should have access to that lore. I might see if my mates will let me play him as if he does.

Nicodemus:

have any of you noticed the the deamonsmith sorcerer hasn't got access to the lore of hashut? How do you guys play this? I would have thought he should have access to that lore.

Shimsham
I think the idea is that the Lore of Hashut is only available to the Sorcerer Priests, possibly as a boon for faithful service to the Dark Father. Non-priest Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers, however, including the Daemonsmiths, aren't high enough up in Chaos Dwarf society to access the dark magic of Hashut. Just my guess anyway given that the Hashut following/worshipping is somewhat religious anyway.

~N

rabotak:

Time of Madness
^
What ToM said. Last number of games I've played my Blunderbuss units have been barely able to make one or two shooting attacks before beign stuck in close combat or not even being able to get into combat at all.  The 18" range of the Fireglaives has been working so much better for me I've been fielding them my last number of games instead!

~N

Nicodemus
I think their role changed significantly - from a pure support and intimidation unit i believe they´re now more a fire support anvil - being now best used in large numbers, say 20-25, with the possibility of having shields, they´re quite good at surviving combat - add to that that they should usually be able to dish out 1-2 rounds (of course stand an shoot included) of shooting, they still can do some damage before holding the attacker for a few rounds... and I think 1-2x w3 shooting attacks is better than 2+ rounds of cc with 2hw, for instance...
nevertheless, i believe 14 pts for this combo is to expensive, i believe 13 should be about right.

Time of Madness:

To be fair, the points may change from the France GD book as many of the recent releases have slight rule/point changes.

If they stay at 13pts a pop, I will not be taking them at all. They need to be down around 10 or 11pts to make them worth while.

Compare them to Dark Elf X-bows, which are S3, -1 save, multi-shot weapons. They have a 24" range and the elf is BS4. They come in at 10pts each and are far more effective then the blunderbuss. The blunderbusses have a couple of things going for them. They have T4 and the special rule with 20 or more to re-roll wounds.

The 12" range is painful though and a pretty big draw back in my opinion.

I think 8pts for the chaos dwarf and 3 for the blunder would be fair.

Time of Madness

Shosuro:

I think the Bull Centaurs cost its ok, they are one of the best support units of the game, 135 points the unit of 3 guys with 2 hand weapons, Ive played 2 of that units in all the battles Ive use CD and theyre one of the best units of the army. They can redirect, destroy enemy supports, chariots, war machines, charges on the flank…

In the other hand, the blunderbussers and basic warriors are poor options, both for the cost. 8 points for a dwarf warrior is expensive in this edition, and the blunderbuss needs an important change in their rules, they are expensive, very short-range, and it`s uncoherent that a very expensive unit has rules for include a lot of them.

And in my opinion the hobgoblins also needs some changes.

And include the Immortals :stuck_out_tongue:

Hashut’s Blessing:

One thing to consider with the hailshot blunderbusses is that they can always stand and shoot and you get two ranks firing between 1 and 3 shots each, then you have combat with S & T 4 and a 4+ AS. Not to be sniffed at and makes up for the short range.

Fireglaives are for shooting your enemy (happen to increase combat potential slightly), but hailshots are best for anchor units as they will see a lot of enemies off…

cornixt:

EVERYTHING from the France GD list should be taken with a huge pinch of salt, especially points costs. It was such an early draft (maybe even the first!) that it was well out of date before anyone even saw it. No harm in giving opinions on it though, maybe the writer will read it on here (even if they are told not to read these sites) and adjust the rule accordingly.

Time of Madness:

One thing to consider with the hailshot blunderbusses is that they can always stand and shoot and you get two ranks firing between 1 and 3 shots each, then you have combat with S & T 4 and a 4+ AS. Not to be sniffed at and makes up for the short range.

Hashut's Blessing
I see your point, I just think they cost a heck of a lot of points for what they do (yes I realize it is only a play test list - 13pts). They only have S3 not 4 and a 5+ save, unless you plan on picking up a shield for more points. Assuming you can even take a shield, as it stands right now infernal guard have to give up the shield if they take a blunderbuss or fireglaive.

A unit of 24 with full command would be 366pts. Deploy them 12 X 2 to maximize the shooting. They get charged and you would on average have 48 shots (potential for 24 shots or even 72 shots). You'd be hitting on a 4, so half the shots would hit (say 24). Assuming the target is T3 you'd then be wounding on 4's again with a re-roll so on average you'd do 18 wounds at a -1 save.

Not to shabby as 18 wounds would decimate most units, however if you are up against anything with T4 or a good save the blunders would not be doing a whole lot.

Because of the 12" range it makes it a lot harder for them to shoot then reform. Let's use 24 again as an example. I'll deploy them 12 X 2 to maximize shooting. I get within 12 inches and shoot. The next turn I'll have to hope my opponent either doesn't charge or fails his charge. This then gives me the opportunity to swift reform to make them 6X4 and would allow me to get more shots off while being in a better combat formation.

I think at the end of the day if the points stay the same I'll be loading up on basic warriors to fill my core.

Time of Madness

MartyF:

I was thinking that the blunders might make a good place for a BSB, if the castellans still have stubborn. The rules also said that casellans could take 75 points of magic items, so again if it doesn’t change it should be possible to make him pretty hard to kill!

This way you could keep them wide at all times and then just reform after the first round of combat. A re-rollable 9 should see them pass the LD test, most of the time :slight_smile:

Hopefully they will get the options for shields because there is no way you are keeping them out of combat!

Time of Madness:

Interesting points Marty!

The castellan with stubborn would be a pretty good option for the blunders. Although I still think I’d rather keep the bsb in a warrior unit for the combat punch and use the blunders as a support unit.

Judging by how the Infernal Guard are set up it looks like they will be trading in the shield for the blunderbuss. Just speculation on my part.

Time of Madness

Hashut’s Blessing:

Sorry, I was talking about the Infernal Guard.

18 wounds to a T3 enemy will cause panic in anything with less than 73 models in it. Even if they did 9 wounds (say T4 or 5 or with decent armour or all of the above etc), that’s still needing 37+ models to avoid panic. The potential is that you could get 3 shots per model, with 24 models, and the enemy fails all armour saves, netting 72 wounds. The opposite end of the spectrum - 24 shots that do nothing. The point is that with sheer weight of fire, you will likely reduce the numbers enough to cause a panic test, remove a rank, maybe remove their steadfastness.

When given to Infernal Guard, they also have decent combat potential (S4, T4, 4+AS), meaning they can do some damage and survive it too and hopefully remove the force from the unit.

Having said that, they’re 16pts a model (currently) - but a Warrior of Chaos with shield is the same price and just mvoes a little faster, gets +1A, less Ld and higher I/AS. Basically, you can do more damage than the CW, but your opponent will strike first (usually) and you’re slightly less likely to save it, but if you fail your break test - you’re more likely to stay.

fonejaker:

if the rules from GD France are correct (as the lammasu uses the rules from storm of magic), when we can get a lvl 4 sorcerer riding a lvl 2 sorcerer!!!

If the lammasu could cast a spell that lowers a units stat, the sorc-prop could cast something that makes that unit do a test based on that stat (or visa verser)

YO DAWG

I HEARD YOU LIKE SORCERERS , SO WE PUT A SORCERER ON A SORCERER , SO YOU CAN BE SORCERING WHILST YOU SORCER

Groznit Goregut:

The rules for the Infernal Guard with fireglaives shouldn’t be taken into account. The fireglaives also count as halberds. You can’t use a shield with a halberd. So, that is probably the reason for not having a shield.

Also, if you have 24 blunderbuss firing on a T3 enemy, you will do 18 wounds as the medium as ToM suggests. Firing against T4 opponents, though, is not that bad. Don’t forget you get to re-roll your “to wound” rolls. That means you will probably do 13 wounds as the medium against T4 opponents. That’s not far off the 18 for T3.

By the way, where can one find the Warhammer Forge army list? I’m trying to plan what type of army to build and I want to have some sort of idea.

RTMaitreya:

Anybody know the hailshot rules?   I'm trying to work on my old army and want to know how the rules are going to work so I can figure unit size.

Montanarugby
The unit size you want is 12 wide and 2 deep (what I'm doing) or 10 wide and 2 deep plus 5 expensive extras in the back that don't shoot (what I've seen one other guy do). Everyone seems to agree that 24-25 is the "right" number of bussers. I run a castellan in mine for the stubborn, and have a flank of greatweapons off the side for the counterattack.