[Archive] Warmachine warjacks as Inferno Golems

Smog:

Hi there!

I was wondering if any of you have experience in using warjacks as inferno golems. I have never seen the models in the “flesh”, but I got the impression they vary a lot in size.

This is apparently one of the smaller ones next to a 40k terminator:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/53117-Size%20compasion%20between%20charger%20and%20terminator.html?w=600

They also look like they could be a bit hard to rank up.

Any advice on which warjacks would be the right size?

nitroglysarine:

I bought some small ones to use as inferno golems, but they turned out to be far to small for the purpose.

Horgenhold Forge guard are to small for purpose.

But that one looks like a nice size. I’d say it’d need some work to get it to look right, but it might make a nice canvas to begin with!

G.2:

I had the same idea, to use Warjacks in my Chaos Dwarf army. But my reasoning was solely because I like the steam-punk element of the models. I hadn’t even considered their size or anything logical like that.

I bought some small ones to use as inferno golems, but they turned out to be far to small for the purpose.

nitroglysarine
So what are you using them for now?

JMR:

I’ve considered using them as well, specifically the Cryx warjacks. However, I figured they’d be too big, or just way too expensive, or both :slight_smile:

nitroglysarine:

nitroglysarine
So what are you using them for now?

G.2
Eventually squats :hat off
I hope.

Smog:

Yeah, Horgenhold Forge guard aren’t even warjacks, just armoured humans. A friend of mine on another forum is taking some pictures for a size comparison. I’ll post the picture here when he has.

Sanguinarian:

I've considered using them as well, specifically the Cryx warjacks. However, I figured they'd be too big, or just way too expensive, or both :)

JMR
I have a Cryx army myself, and the Helljacks could be quite good as inferno golems with a little modification. The average Helljack is roughly a head taller than a GW ogre and slightly wider at the shoulders than the ogre's midsection. The main problem I can see (just looking at the seether I have on my desk waiting for a paint job) is that Cryxian Helljacks tend to have their arms splayed out and so would need to be repositioned.

Bonejacks would be far too small for the job, though I have considered using a couple as unit fillers or even light war machines (eruption gun for example).

Now on to price ;) A Slayer Helljack is £17 for the classic metal version or about £22 for the plastic kit (the plastic kit also has parts to make a reaper or corrupter).
This means that a unit of 6 inferno golems using 5 classic slayers and one plastic kit for converting a Face of Hashut/golem weapon would come to £107 not including square bases.

Just so folks know what a slayer Helljack looks like, here's a picture of the plastic version:

nitroglysarine:

The plastic one is quite cool, however the price is a bit hmmm.

Smog:

Here is the size comparison with a 40k terminator:

http://i51.tinypic.com/4ugdpk.jpg

From left to right that’s a Terminator (for some GW-scale reference), one of the old metal Cygnar light 'jacks (a Hunter), one of the newer plastic lights (Charger), and a heavy plastic one. The heavies didn’t really change in size very much. It’s still possible to get any of the lights in metal (except the Firefly), and they’ll be on the same scale as the second model in this picture. I think only the Firefly, Charger, and Lancer are available in plastic, and they’d all be the size of the third model.

Front shot of the two lights:

http://i54.tinypic.com/m9p1j9.jpg

Sanguinarian:

The plastic one is quite cool, however the price is a bit hmmm.

nitroglysarine
Yep and it's not as if it's a particularly big model either. This is my problem with privateer press, the models can be really nice (especially the characters and solos) but the prices make GW look sane!

While we're on the topic of ice looking but pricey, how about this as an inferno golem:

It's the peacekeeper from Malifaux, costs about £15. I'm not certain of the scale but it's on a 50mm base if that helps. Could be nice for those Chaos Dwarf armies with a steampunk theme and it would be pretty easy to get some fairly wide variety in the unit just by altering the position of the limbs (I'd also clip off the harpoon launcher and replace it with a cleaver or chainsaw personally).

Mosk:

I would like to add one comment. The price of one fig for Warmachine may be expensive but I challenge you all to find a warhammer army that is actually playable and fun size that you can build cheaper than a playable Warmachine army. Like make a 2000 point army equal to that of a 35 point army (roughly the same game time to play and even a 50. Point game.) I have a khador, cryx, legion,skorne, circle, cygnar, searforge, farrow and a gator army. All my armies cost less than my orc, skaven, and neuron army. I have one army that is 125 points for Warmachine that is way cheaper than most warhammer armies.

But I think that cryx jacks could be a good start. I also feel that searforge (dwarves) heavy jacks could also make for ok looking inferno golems. The problem I see with using jacks is that they look a bit to advanced to me. If someone makes a good looking golem out of some jacks then that would be awesome.

Sanguinarian:

I would like to add one comment. The price of one fig for Warmachine may be expensive but I challenge you all to find a warhammer army that is actually playable and fun size that you can build cheaper than a playable Warmachine army. Like make a 2000 point army equal to that of a 35 point army (roughly the same game time to play and even a 50. Point game.) I have a khador, cryx, legion,skorne, circle, cygnar, searforge, farrow and a gator army. All my armies cost less than my orc, skaven, and neuron army. I have one army that is 125 points for Warmachine that is way cheaper than most warhammer armies.

But I think that cryx jacks could be a good start. I also feel that searforge (dwarves) heavy jacks could also make for ok looking inferno golems. The problem I see with using jacks is that they look a bit to advanced to me. If someone makes a good looking golem out of some jacks then that would be awesome.

Mosk
Oh don't get me wrong, my warmachine army cost a fraction of a GW army, I'm just looking at the prices per model ;)

As expensive as GW is, they're still a hell of a lot cheaper on a model by model basis than privateer press even though warmachine/hordes as a system is cheaper than warhammer. The big hitter for GW in terms of cost is the sheer amount you need to play a game, especially with the emphasis on numbers in 8th.

Anyhow, back to the models themselves ;)

I think the searforge commission has a lot of potential and certainly looks more steampunk than cryx. I guess it would come down to personal taste on this one with Cryx being good for CD players with a love of daemonic engines and Searforge being good for those with a love for steampunk.

My internet connection isn't letting me open new tabs atm so I can't check, but if memory serves there's also a mercenary jack that looks like a robotic deep sea diver. With a bit of modification to remove the more overtly nautical elements I reckon it could also look quite good as an inferno golem.

Ogrob:

Now, I’m looking at prices in Sweden, where Warmachine is a bit more expensive then the dollar rate would suggest, and I still see GW charging as much or more for equivalent-sized metal miniatures as Privateer Press. Compare say, two blisters of the new Goblin Skulkers, to a box of Pyg Burrowers, and they end up the same. Looking at US prices, the Burrowers are $2 cheaper. Maybe it’s my inner PP fanboy that finds skewed examples. Also, I imagine that you need a few more goblins then you would ever need Burrowers.

Anyway, for Inferno Golems: You are looking for Light Warjacks. The Cygnar “bonechickens” and the Rhul “gunbunnies” are likely to small, despite being on 40 mm bases. Rhul heavy jacks might work, but that will be expensive indeed. The Cygnar Grenadier might work:

or from Cryx, the Stalker:

Also, the Mercenary Buccaneer, I think this is the one Saguniarian is thinking of:

Cheaper then Mega-armored Nobs in the first two cases. The Bucc is a bit more expensive though.

Zanko:

I like the Warjack models! But imo they are much too expensive and (more important) they aren’t CD enough!

The models need much conversion work to make them CD compatible!

And imo another important aspect is that the Warjacks wouldn’t fit to every CD army! You will need a real good concept

and the appropriate troopers to build up a consistent army!

The new FW troopers might be a good choice!

:hashut

LumpinCroop:

Utilizing Warmachine jacks for the inferno Golems is a good idea. I have some pirate and mercenary warmachine stuff I might just use for that very purpose.

Borador:

LumpinCroop, please look at the date of the last post before posting. It has been 6 months since then. If you have any questions/ suggestions about/to old threads, try PMing the maker of the thread.

vulcanologist:

@Borador : I think LumpinCroop can be excused reviving this thread as nicodemus aludes to it in his guide for entrants to Golden Hat 16.

Borador:

True, sorry, did not click those links yet.

In this case I might have rushed my conclusions.

I apologize to you, should you feel offended LumpinCroop.

LumpinCroop:

No problem, I’m a good natured little halfling. I like everyone.

Excepting, of course, for my cousins the Sackville-Bagginses whom I find it very hard to like. That LOTR reference might be a tad obscure…

Admiral:

Good idea. With with Chaos and Dawi Zharr iconography, some spikes and perhaps some fire they might fit perfectly as K’daai.