[Archive] Weather, aint it interesting?

Willmark:

Here I am in update New York and we have Thunderstorm warnings that just ended. The reason? Remnants of Hurricane Ike coming through.

Doogle:

Yeah.

Just finished with Hurricane Ike myself.

Pretty gnarly.

Lots of destruction.

Willmark:

You live in Texas?

UPDATE: Ike was a monster hurricane for those unaware and  ashore as “only” a category 2. I say only because it was nearly the size of Texas.

Where I live 37,000 people are without power as power lines & trees are down as winds gusted to 60 mph. And I live ~1,200 miles away from where it hit.

I personally lucked out; my house only has the high speed cable line down.

HashutsChosen:

You live in Texas?

UPDATE: Ike was a monster hurricane for those unaware and  ashore as "only" a category 2. I say only because it was nearly the size of Texas.

Where I live 37,000 people are without power as power lines & trees are down as winds gusted to 60 mph. And I live ~1,200 miles away from where it hit.

Willmark
Bah, it ain't a hurricane unless it's a 5 :P Compare ike to floyd, thank god Floyd never came completely ashore!

Sojourn:

Katrina hit as a Cat 3 in Louisiana, and it caused a lot of havoc. The main issue is that many places aren’t prepared for that type of weather. In fact, most people didn’t have hurricane insurance and so my company couldn’t do as much work as originally thought since no insurance loss is triggered if there is no coverage.

also, the hurricanes pick up speed over the gulf, but once they come ashore they usually drop a category or two… I’ve been tracking them recently through the National Hurricane website, keeping an eye on whether or not I’ll be sent down to the Cayman Islands for a loss calc or not.

my buddy in NYC said Hanna made a mess the other weekend, did it not hit Rochester then Willmark? With Ike, we only got some rain Saturday, nothing serious. but I had to play baseball in it. while sick. with strep throat. and a fever. awful!

two_heads_talking:

THE BIGGEST ISSUE with New Orleans is that the majority of the city is below sea level. and thus all the water coming in, has no place to go. It becomes a swamp with no drainage. it’s a big reason why over the past 20 years, they keep trying to just level the city. Every few years or so, it has to be rebuilt and after a point it likes throwing pearls to swine… it ends up being wasted money…

The gov’t would do better to use the money to relocate those that have destroyed houses.

Willmark:

Yep. Thank the French explorers for that one I.e founding the city where they did.

Leadblecher:

I live in San Antonio Texas. We were slated to get Ike up until the last minute, then it took a sharp right. All we got was 20 minutes of rain and 15 mph winds, and a few coastal guests that we welcomed with open arms!

Vanvlak:

Wow, you guys are in the thick of it. We never get anything like that here - and no, I’m not complaining.

Doogle:

You live in Texas?

UPDATE: Ike was a monster hurricane for those unaware and ashore as "only" a category 2. I say only because it was nearly the size of Texas.

Willmark
Houston dude.
We were next in line after Galveston.

Swissdictator:

Yeah, Wiscosnin only has brutal winters and some tornadoes in the spring. I guess I’m pretty lucky.

Though we had a remnant of a hurricane pass through over the weekend from what I was told.

Kera foehunter:

well we just got power on since sunday and i  

live in ohio  good old ike hit us sunday .that and a cold front causing winds

of 50 mph with gust 75

we lost power untill 2am this morning we  tree down  72 hours with out power

so it was fun!!

two_heads_talking:

There are still millions in Texas without power and most of them won’t see power for at least a week. I just hope there are no families split up during this. there is nothing worse than wondering if someone is missing, alive or dead…

Kera foehunter:

yea there at least in south west ohio peoplethat might not get may not get there untill next monday .we had no troops or emergency crews becase they sent them south !!

at of the 88 countys in ohio 86 reported damage !!

but this is Ohio we don’t get hurrican or tropical storms

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

In fact, most people didn't have hurricane insurance and so my company couldn't do as much work as originally thought since no insurance loss is triggered if there is no coverage.

Sojourn
hurricane insurance i need to get that although i britain we don't get hurricanes as much as you do but better safe then sorry:P

also willmark to anwser your question no weather is not interesting only if it explodes

boom :)