[Archive] Were Big Hat minis cast in a different metal?

zobo1942:

Agreed!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Zuh-Khinie:

Indeed!

Shakhorth:

I fully agree!

Willmark:

Ok, last time.

Keep the political commentary out of the thread and by extension this website. Next person ignoring that gets the thread locked and probably some one on one time from one of the Admins as well as official warnings.

I’m not going to repeat this again.

Gar Shadowfame:

Brain

Use it please.

GW possesses IP, it is a right, an entitelment, like your freedom of speech. If a person copies someones IP without consent, then the owner suffers a loss. It is not loss like in a case of direct theft, but it is a tresspass, and owner of a land is entiteled to do with his land what he wants, that includes forbidding anyone use, pass through etc it. The same principle applies to IP, even if you are not making any money of it, you do not have to allow anyone to make money.

Secondly, You speak about economy principles ( wchich are not principles but merely observations), well economy is not only supply/demand curves.

Byers have a bargaining force too, if it is too expensive i can do something about it, buyers do not merely agree whenever they want to buy something at certain price or not. They can negotiate, and “negotiate”.

So if TheEssexGirl exploits our hobby, increases the prices and therefore some people who would buy CD and play them will not, its against our interest as community since i’d like to see more new faces.

As buyers we are allowed, and have moral and legal rights to fight for ourselves. And catching cheaty sod on doing recasts is a great opportunity.

I dont say it because i hate this seller, i dont realy care, but i dont approve extortionist pricing, it is her right to demand as much as she wants, and it is my right to go against it.

PS

Any chance to see a good pic of named model?

The Brain:

To Gar Shadowfame

Yet again you have shown that you have no idea what you are talking about. You seemed to be hung up on what you perceive as a moral problem. There is a huge difference between something that is morally wrong and something that is illegal. Yes GW does possess Intellectual Property rights; however those rights have limits and are not absolute. Those rights also vary drastically depending on which country you are talking about, as in my previous example it is not as easy in the US as you seem to think. There has to be specific financial loss that corresponds to the other person�?Ts financial gain. Not to mention time and earning restraints.

Also, the world of eBay and for that matter collectibles in general, economics is based on supply and demand. If demand is high they the seller can charge whatever they want. If demand is low they will have to lower their price if they want to get rid of it without suffering a loss. As a buyer you have the right not to buy, but you cannot defame someone else�?Ts character without proof. Just because you don�?Tt like the prices at theEssexgirl does not mean that you have the right to say whatever you want about them. EBay makes money off of people like theessexgirl not buyers like you. They will want proof before they give up money on your complaint. If you don�?Tt like the price then fine don�?Tt buy that leaves more for those of use that can afford it.

Another thing that you and other people on this site seem to forget about is there are things called libel laws in both the US and UK. That is when you put in print a defamation of another person�?Ts character to their detriment. If theEssexgirl could establish that you had defamated their character to their financial loss they could sue you personally as well as this web site for supplying as outlet for you defamation. They could even have the site shut down. Lawyers are great at subpoenaing electronic records that give computer IP addresses and the people that own them. It happens here in the US all the time. I have looked up this theEssexgirl person on EBay and looked at about 80 or so of their auctions close up and another 200 overall. I did not see any evidence of the models for sale being recasts. Almost all of the models still have the tabs on them, and the pictures are so clear that I can read the GW printing on the tab. This is no signs of obvious mold problems common to recasts. Many of the things they have for sale have the original packaging or are even painted. So unless this person is a master mold maker or somehow stole the master molds from GW you no grounds to base you claim. It appears that all they are doing is buying models cheap and reselling them high for a profit, exactly what EBay is supposed to be for. Obviously not too many people have a problem with this person’s items; they have 99.8% positive feedback out of nearly 5000 auctions. So if you want to get sued or have the site shut down keep opening that big mouth or yours and keep putting that big foot in it. I hope theEssexgirl reads these things and sues you, and you get a glimpse of what the real world is like.

Ronshank:

There have been a whole lot of complete armies go up reciently if you bought them they would be cheap to strip then on-sell. So it is quite possible the seller just has a good supply or knows where to get them not to mention that it wasn’t exactly hard to buy in bulk while they still had a few models lying aound.

But yes if it’s a reproduction it should be stated as it would be in an actual physical action (and believe me I go to many it’s the best place to get brand new funiture with sight defects or just overstocked items with nothing wrong with them, below cost cheap) thats the problem with e-bay you can’t inspect your items before you buy them. The buyer beware thing should be stated in writing and brain I haven’t checked it out but I am sure it would be on the sign up fine print for sure. And going by your statement Brain the person who bought the super rare siege ‘ass’ cannon that was up reciently (over $900) shouldn’t be upset if they take their mega rare collectors item home and find out that their investment is a repo (and yes if that kind of thing was reported believe me GW would be onto it in a heart beat). Even you would have to admitt once the prices get that high that a fruad has been committed. It’s as bad as all the fake Muhammed Ali boxing gloves out there, not worth a dime unless you can actully authenicate it together with its history. The way you respond it makes me wonder why you are so interested.

But personally all that trying to win in actions the possiblity of being duped I mean…isn’t it just eaiser to convert them all. You’ve made me want to send a letter into GW itself asking what is the extent that they can protect customers when repos have been bought. By the way if I bought them my law covers me and I can get the seller in trouble for selling it so hiding behind USA laws won’t cover everywhere in the world. So remember hiding behind the inadequacies in your own legal system (and i’d be the first to admitt that every country including mine has spots of law that lag badly behind) that dosen’t mean that their aren’t other countries with adequate laws to cope with this kind of thing ie what works for you can also work against you. But come on raving much. You sound like a priest trying to convert us. Back off a bit you know your law, you don’t know everyone else’s and yes most people would believe that justice would require those who rip you off to get in trouble for it. Of course your going to get a knee jerk reaction and really is it such a bad thing to have morals? which is what such a reaction seems to imply. (and yes I am one of the learned who know that there is no justice in the legal system, and as you sound as cynical as I am about this I assume you understand that too.)

But personally if you keep checking e-bay it’s easy enough to tell whos got too much stuff. What the prices are like and where the stuffs coming from. If you hold off until you can gauge the e-bay climate a bit more and go on the awesome CDO wiki to check the sellers pictures with the actual model’s on the wiki you can’t go too wrong normally. It just takes time. But seriously it’s so much less hassle to just convert them

The Brain:

But personally if you keep checking e-bay it's easy enough to tell whos got too much stuff. What the prices are like and where the stuffs coming from. If you hold off until you can gauge the e-bay climate a bit more and go on the awesome CDO wiki to check the sellers pictures with the actual model's on the wiki you can't go too wrong normally. It just takes time. But seriously it's so much less hassle to just convert them

Ronshank
You are right I do know the law of my country and I am not that well versed in the law of some other nations, but I do know that no country is going to go through extradition procedures for some counterfeit toys bought on EBay.
I do think it is unfair for you to simply state that anyone has �?otoo much stuff�?� many people make a living at going to conventions or hunting on EBay buying large sums of models and then selling them off at an inflated price. Many of my friends, and I, do not even bother to collect an army unless we plan to have 5000+ points. Does that mean that we have too much stuff? It is not for anyone to say who has too much stuff that is only their business. As far as my interest in all this, I do not appreciate you insinuation, my interest is only that I think it is wrong for people to accuse others without proof and work others up into a frenzy thinking someone is a criminal when they are not.

Willmark:

I asked for it to stay civil and it was anything but that. Points so noted.

With that in mind I’ll pull the plug on this as the Staff discusses this little dustup.