[Archive] West Coast GT 2013 pic CD vs CD

Thommy H:

I blame Warseer. But then, I blame them for most of the world’s ills.

Blackspine:

The K’daai gets a ton of hate.

However, imo, he’s one of the most easily dealt with monsters in game.

here’s ways to deal w him

Mounted/non-stompable char with Dragon helm/gem

poison. (skinks anyone)

CR (easy enough)

magic attacks : hello demon prince/ hellcannon

magic missles

bait’n.

all of these are things experienced players often have, and in case of the 1st, every list SHOULD have for a GT.

If the K’daai gets into a soft target, it’s almost that player’s fault for letting it getting there.

Honestly, I want to take him out of my list but he’s:

a centerpeice

I don’t have more models. (new to the army)

I really think a block of ironsworn would be more dependable.

Method:

Na… the destroyer is still the most powerful piece we have by a large margin. If you have openlist, and know who has the fireward, your movement 9 should prevent you from getting in trouble.

I’ll admit more experienced players have an easier time of him, but like your queen in chess, you hold him back till it’s safe to roll out. and baiting doest work provided you don’t fall for the trap (frenzy aside) and aren’t cornered to a point where you can’t make a March move redeploy.

Replacing him simply increases the chance you don’t make it to the top tables vs the more experienced generals anyhow as the ironsworn just won’t kill enough…

Even if he is only good vs the lesser generals, then you are good, as he helps that much during rds 1 - 3

Baggronor:

and baiting doest work provided you don't fall for the trap (frenzy aside) and aren't cornered to a point where you can't make a March move redeploy.
It's pretty easy to rush something to within 1" of him though, and once it's there, it's too close for him to turn. Even if you redeploy, good armies should have multiple methods of dealing with him. Most of the time against good players it isn't that he gets frenzy baited, you just can't get him to do anything worthwhile as he spends half the game avoiding Dragonhelm douchebags on wolves or Spirit Hosts etc. And yes, it is still an auto-include as it is so powerful, but we don't have the support units to make it perform.

Ironsworn are appalling. 17pt, 1A, M3 Special choice infantry? :sick Not good for any sort of competitive list if you ask me. Skaven and Lizardmen and DEs dream of meeting units like that...

Method:

and baiting doest work provided you don't fall for the trap (frenzy aside) and aren't cornered to a point where you can't make a March move redeploy.
It's pretty easy to rush something to within 1" of him though, and once it's there, it's too close for him to turn. Even if you redeploy, good armies should have multiple methods of dealing with him. Most of the time against good players it isn't that he gets frenzy baited, you just can't get him to do anything worthwhile as he spends half the game avoiding Dragonhelm douchebags on wolves or Spirit Hosts etc. And yes, it is still an auto-include as it is so powerful, but we don't have the support units to make it perform.

Ironsworn are appalling. 17pt, 1A, M3 Special choice infantry? :sick Not good for any sort of competitive list if you ask me. Skaven and Lizardmen and DEs dream of meeting units like that...

Baggronor
I agree 100% on the IronSworn.

RE: Destroyer
I usually dont have him near the 12' mark in my deployment unless it's vs an army that doesnt have a horde of redirectors milling about.

That could be a armylist thing too. For example, if my destroyer is 8' off the battle line, I try to keep my hobgoblins at 12, so it'd take two turns before a unit can park infront of the destroyer. usually means to get there by the second turn the enemy chaff will have to be within the charge distance of the ranked hobgobs. (or wolfrider heros, or the move and shoot BB, or the bows in you're army) If you treat the destroyer as a protected piece of artillery, you should avoid getting hemmed in, until you have the chance to bust out giving you good charge angles.

again, im sure it's not easy vs all opponents (it is very cat and mouse)
but the destroyer can be a hard critter to nail down, provided the rest of the army is built well and be able to support him with counter charges, and magic/shooting.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Not to derail this into a K’daii Destroyer thread but I accidentally discovered a new tactic.  If my Destroyer is on the left flank of my battle lines, I can expect a pesky eagle (or other sacrificial unit) to park itself 1" in front angled so that my Destroyer will over-run even further to that flank.  Because he has such a wonderfully long base, I find if I put another unit 1" away on the right side of the Destroyer, he really can’t wheel much as he charges so the eagle ends up closing the majority of the door.  The net result being a pretty poor redirection. Or if the Destroyer is on your right flank, you’re other unit should be 1" away on the left side.  Anyway, you get the idea.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.  Nothing to see here…

Da Crusha:

Not to derail this into a K'daii Destroyer thread but I accidentally discovered a new tactic.  If my Destroyer is on the left flank of my battle lines, I can expect a pesky eagle (or other sacrificial unit) to park itself 1" in front angled so that my Destroyer will over-run even further to that flank.  Because he has such a wonderfully long base, I find if I put another unit 1" away on the right side of the Destroyer, he really can't wheel much as he charges so the eagle ends up closing the majority of the door.  The net result being a pretty poor redirection.  Or if the Destroyer is on your right flank, you're other unit should be 1" away on the left side.  Anyway, you get the idea.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.  Nothing to see here...

Grimbold Blackhammer
nice one.

this reminds me of a move that is quite good for locking down units with random movement particularly. you move a a fast unit (wolf riders) one inch to the side of it. the unit can no longer pivot and has to move straight forward. the unit cannot charge the annoying unit because it cannot pivot. after it moves just move the wolf riders back to where it was and repeat indefinitely. the random movement unit will not do anything but move forward the entire game.

anyway, back to topic.