[Archive] What army do you dread the most these days?

Swissdictator:

What army do you dread playing the most? I know it’s a broad question, but assume that’s a competent player with experience using the army.

Also, do you dread it in general (regardless of the army you’re fielding) or for specific reasons?

I would throw up a poll, but the max 10 options doesn’t cover enough armies!

Fallen246:

This might sound like an overused response, but I’m gonna say High Elves.

Not because of “They’re OP this” or “They’re sneaky that”, but because they’re my brothers preferred army. And over the years he’s gotten both very ruthless and very efficient at using them. :stuck_out_tongue:

saurus:

Interesting question, but my personal response is limited as I have not played all the armies. Furthermore, listhammer and capability of opponent do have a huge impact on this.I will give a list with top being hardest and the bottom being the easiest.

Hardest

Lizardmen (With Slann using Lore of life, cupped hands, super nasty lists.)

Warriors of Chaos

High Elves

Vampire Counts

Skaven

Empire

Brettonians

Dogs of War

Easiest

The skaven is the odd one out, but the dude who I play against is a newbie, so its a bit distorted.

saurus

sparrow:

Ahhh the list could probably contain most armies to be honest. High elf and Dark both bug me at times, lizardmen also get to me as do skaven.

Skaven bug me due to their unpredictable warmachines and monsters.

Lizards get me due to their generally tough as nails saurus with awesome leadership special rules.

The elves just generally bug me due to either hatred or ASF (which in the new ed is better than hatred IMO).

I try not to let it get to me that much mind, after all I’m using an army which isn’t supported with weapons like the Earthshaker!

ingtar_shinowa:

@saurus I’m surprised to see your list having Dogs of War so low, i remember in 6th edition my DoW were so unstoppable it killed the tournament circuit in my city. What made them easy for you? I had magic superiority, 4 ranks of pikes that always struck first, and calvary/monsters to hold the middle. I do agree lizzardmen always frusterated me because the skinks would just run around my units of Dwarfs and it took forever to kill one.

Thorne:

High elves if I am honnest with you. They are one of those armies many people start with. That coupled with some great magic and centaur kerbab making war machine just annoys the hell out of me.

Baggronor:

Skaven. I actually love them, they are very cool, but they have a few…erm… questionable things in their list.
For example, the Doom Rocket… 30pts…can march and fire…no LoS required… reeeeally? :~ And before anyone says ‘But its so innaccurate!’, it really isn’t, just use it from 14" away and roll 5 dice. Pretty much bang on most of the time. Its the bane of my DEs. And my CDs. (Not so much my VCs) Couple that with a 15pt(!) Engineer and its just annoying. If the guy has any sense, you just can’t get to the Engineer before he nukes your army. Then, there’s Dreaded 13th and the Abomb (although my armies don’t have much trouble with him), but worst of all are the Slaves; or rather the firing into combat with Slaves that miraculously never hits any Slaves, just my guys :~ Although, to be fair, my regular Skaven opponent gets double War Hydras in the face, and deservedly so :cheers so its not all bad.

nitroglysarine:

In 5th 6th and 7th ed’s High elves and Lizardmen always caused me problems.

Easiest for me seemed to back then be skaven.

saurus:

@saurus I'm surprised to see your list having Dogs of War so low, i remember in 6th edition my DoW were so unstoppable it killed the tournament circuit in my city. What made them easy for you? I had magic superiority, 4 ranks of pikes that always struck first, and calvary/monsters to hold the middle. I do agree lizzardmen always frusterated me because the skinks would just run around my units of Dwarfs and it took forever to kill one.

ingtar_shinowa
See it depends also on the quality of your opponent. They guy who plays DoW is ok, but he generally plays a gunline, and I generally dont think CDs are bothered by gunlines. Pikes are easy to deal with, you generally just ignore them until you everything else is dead and then outflank them, there is no way I would ever charge them from the front.

Lizzies are just a tough army who got even tougher in 8th. My bro play em and he gave me the biggest thrashing I have ever received in WHF. Unfortunately it was him rolling dice and me taking off models, by turn 2 my entire army was destroyed.

In 7th I played Tk and CD and the bane army was High Elves, they were just good at everything and the dude I played was (and still is) a powergamer who would say "oh my list is pretty week", and it would either have 15 PD or the uber lord on star dragon. Good luck with TK trying to kill a lord on a dragon who was immune to the skull catapult.

ingtar_shinowa:

lol yeah i had maybe one or two cannons in 2000 points. Usually I would run 2 big pike units, golfang’s ogers (5) in the middle… a dragon lolololol, and two units of calvary on the flanks. I also had tons of sorcery so that I could hang back after my comets killed anything that might shoot at me. People charged my pikes because its all they could do in their desperation.

My most devistating game was from a O&G guy who managed to kill 24 models in a 4000 point game mostly due to fanatics.

Joshmohr:

Magically strong ones, but I will also say I have a hatred for chaos daemons (40k).

Loki:

Dark elves for me we have a few dark elf armies at my local clud and they all are very hard armies to play against and all very different , from lots of shooting to lots of combat and to lots of beasts.

richard barby:

brets are a hard match up for choas dwarfs always will be

vamps are easy beats now

lizzys with slann cupped hands bell and wistles lore of life is a pain in the arse

Baggronor:

vamps are easy beats now
I'm guessing you haven't played any decent VC players then ;)

40 regenerating Grave Guard with Banner of the Barrows and 2 blocks of 50 Ghouls with a VanHel's spamming caster Lord sporting Helm of Commandment in a bunker is 'that' list at the moment. The Grave Guard Deathstar is very much alive and kicking in 8th: 33 Str 6 magical killing blow attacks that hit on 2s is the answer to just about everyone; the regen is kinda beside the point. Add in a second caster Vamp with Master of the Black Arts for a total of +4 PD and it gets very silly very quickly. My Vamps have yet to lose in 8th.
Check out some of the VC lists from the Masters tournaments, they are just horrible.

On another note, I'm really liking the look of WoC now; Chaos Warriors are finally worth it and some of the less-used-in-7th choices are now much better (Third Eye of Tzeentch for example).

Da Crusha:

Check out some of the VC lists from the Masters tournaments, they are just horrible.

Baggronor
Im really interested. do you have a link?

Baggronor:

Im really interested. do you have a link?
Some here:
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=81209

saurus:

From the English Warhammer Masters.

This one…

SKAVEN LIST

Grey Seer

Magic Level 4

Warlord

General; Heavy Armour; Shield; War-Litter

Chieftain

Heavy Armour; Shield; Battle Standard

Warlock Engineer

Magic Level 1

Warlock Engineer

Warlock Engineer

24 Clanrats

Light Armour; Shields; Standard; Musician

1 Clawleader

24 Clanrats

Light Armour; Shields; Standard; Musician

1 Clawleader

47 Skavenslaves

Slave Musician

1 Pawleader

47 Skavenslaves

Slave Musician

1 Pawleader

47 Skavenslaves

Slave Musician

1 Pawleader

24 Stormvermin

Halberd; Heavy Armour; Standard; Musician

1 Fangleader

9 Gutter Runners

2ndWeapon; Poisoned Attacks; Sling; Throwing Stars

9 Gutter Runners

2ndWeapon; Poisoned Attacks; Sling; Throwing Stars

Warp-lightning Warp Cannon

Warp-lightning Warp Cannon

Hellpit Abomination

Warpstone Spikes

Or this one…

EMPIRE LIST

General of the Empire (General)

Arch Lector riding a War Alter

Heavy Armour

Battle Wizard Light.

Level 1

Battle Wizard Light.

Level 1

Battle Wizard Light.

Level 1

Battle Wizard Light.

Level 1

Captain of the Empire

Battle Standard Bearer

10 Crossbowmen

10 Crossbowmen

Detachment: 5 Freecompany

Detachment: 5 Freecompany

23 Crossbowmen

Standard, musician

5 Knights

30 Halberdiers

Sergeant, Standard, Musician

Detachment: 15 Halberdiers

1 Great Cannon

1 Great Cannon

1 Mortar

1 Mortar

1 Steam Tank

Or even this one…

VAMPIRE LIST

Vampire Lord

General; level 3

Lore of Vampires/Necromancy

Vampire

level 1

Lore of Shadow

Wight King

Battle standard

45 Crypt Ghouls

Ghast; feral claws/hand weapons

45 Crypt Ghouls

20 Crypt Ghouls

43 Grave Guard

Champion; Standard; musician; heavy armour, hand weapons, great weapons

yuk!

Baggronor:

The thing is though, these armies might be terrifying to play against but they all look how they are supposed to in the background, which is one reason why I love 8th (well, ok, the Empire one could use a few more infantry blocks).

Da Crusha:

yeah there are definitely some nasty lists there. I think I fear playing against skaven the most. I hate that they can completely out number my army and still have points for things like the Hellpit abomination and of course a grey seer.

saurus:

The thing is though, these armies might be terrifying to play against but they all look how they are supposed to in the background, which is one reason why I love 8th (well, ok, the Empire one could use a few more infantry blocks).

Baggronor
I agree with you on the Empire list, but just look at that VC list, its just a spam of the best basic infantry units. Doesnt reflect the diversity of a VC army at all. Bet he has ghouldkin on his vampire too, so all his ghoul units march on first turn. Dodgy dodgy list.

Skaven army has a bit more to it, but I would not enjoy playing that list in a tournament, and I bet most people would not either. A Grey Seer, 2 units of gutter runners, 2 WLC's and an a-bomb, pfft, I would see the list, call the game and go have a beer.

saurus