[Archive] What does the new release of CD models mean for pricing of older miniatures?

zobo1942:

What does the new release of CD models mean for pricing of older miniatures?

Do you think that prices will stay the same or do you think they will go down, especially for things like hobgoblins if FW is making new figures available, and the price of the older war machines? Or do you think the prices will stay as high as they are?

I think that, if new figures are available, people will tend to buy those - unless they’re hardcore collectors - which means that the average price will go down. Just my opinion.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Grimstonefire:

I think the huge interest in CD may mean that prices go up on everything OOP. The old big hat models, with a little work, would (unfortunately imo) actually fit into the new look reasonably well.

cornixt:

All prices will go up. More newer collectors will start wanting the old stuff = more demand, outstripping the drop from people who just want a CD army.

zobo1942:

If Forgeworld makes new hobgoblins, I can’t see people paying what will be more than the price of the new models for used ones. Maybe the ‘hard core’ set, but I can’t see new players increasing the demand that is already there.

For example, take the juggernaut. Someone bought one for nearly $2000. Given that you can make a pretty sweet facsimile with a couple of peices of the foc’stle of the marienburg landship mounted on top of the skullcracker, will people still still pay those prices? Before, there were no options. Now, there are.

I’m interested in seeing what happens.

EDIT: skullcracker, not skullcrusher!

Aman:

All prices will go up. More newer collectors will start wanting the old stuff = more demand, outstripping the drop from people who just want a CD army.

cornixt
I agree. Interest is interest. Some will love the big hats, some won't. But new rules, new fluff, all mean good times for those of us with CD collections. And since the new stuff will be even more expensive at these new prices ($5 for a new metal slayer???) old metal hobgoblins will increase in worth as the resin ones will push the 3-4$ limit. IMHO

Fequiil:

prices will go up. definatly.

nitroglysarine:

OOP has always raised money, with new interest in the army now, they will certainly go up 50% minimum in some cases.

Pyro Stick:

There will always be those people that dont like the new models or cant afford them so they will have to resort to the old models or conversions. I think prices will definately go up because theres already loads more people interested in chaos dwarfs just from the pics that were shown yesterday. We will probably notice an increase in prices within the next few months so if you want a certain piece then try and get it now.

starscream:

Yeah I agree.

CDs are now the talking point again, as there are no rank n file troops being released (yet at least), then I can see lots of people deciding to buy the old models to field a CD army along with their new FW toys.

I’ve considered sellign mine a couple of times recently when prices have been high. if they go any higher I might not be able to resist.

Obsidian:

I’ll hold onto my collection just a little bit longer before selling it then! ^^

clam:

For example, take the juggernaut. Someone bought one for nearly $2000. Given that you can make a pretty sweet facsimile with a couple of peices of the foc'stle of the marienburg landship mounted on top of the skullcracker, will people still still pay those prices? Before, there were no options. Now, there are.

zobo1942
I can see what you are trying to say - but no one that is willing to pay $2000 for a Juggernaut would never ever even consider replacing it with a conversion. And don't forget - these items is never bought with an intention to be glued, primed, painted ore anything else - just stored and sold later on.

So these items are not sold for a gaming purpose - but as limited, rare collectable items - and as long as there are limited food and hungry mouths to feed - prices will only go up and up and up.

But then $2000 for a metal miniature is .... ?? .... simply just "to much".

aka_mythos:

I think it will vary from model to model. For some prices will go up but only to a degree, driven by the FW price. I think you’ll some pieces priced close to but not exceeding the FW prices. For anything particularly unique they might exceed FWs. I think any models by FW that are a clear cut better model, will tend to drive prices down on the old model.

Clinkz:

I think it will vary from model to model. For some prices will go up but only to a degree, driven by the FW price. I think you'll some pieces priced close to but not exceeding the FW prices. For anything particularly unique they might exceed FWs. I think any models by FW that are a clear cut better model, will tend to drive prices down on the old model.

aka_mythos
i would have to agree, it will be interesting to see the effect FW will have on prices indeed.

aka_mythos:

Even in a post Warhammer Forge setting, things like that “Juggernought” would still go for the $1200+ it did, because its rare… as would “asscannons” go for what ever they go for.

Even with more people coming in, the WF infantry would have to be pretty fuggly for anyone, but a collector, to be willing to pay more for the old mini. The vast majority of newbies will be looking at older miniatures as a cheaper alternative to the WF models, but they will only consider that option till the percieved quality and price differences sway them.

Economics-wise… demand will rise, but so will supply. The market will adjust itself to the “new” price of equivalent product. With a relatively small but consistent demand growth over the last 10 years prices have steadily climbed, new minis means relative scarcity will decline. Thus the driving force in the post WF era is availability of models and their prices.

Hashut’s little helper:

After looking at the info coming out of Forge World about the CD releases, I think it’s extre,ely unlikely that FW will be making foot troops for CD’s.

They have been extremely reluctant to do it for other armies in the past and when they have on rare occasions made foot troops, their offerings, being in resin, are prohibitively expensive.

I would urge folks to keep a hold of their old Chaos dwarf models lest they end up with no models to play with.

gIL^:

The old cd’s look slightly outdated now, But the hobgoblins are still fantastic sculpts, I think they will go up in worth!

Im alittle doubtful hobgoblins comming back, I think there being squatted and putting the cd’s with the warriors

Grimstonefire:

It’s not impossible for them to do foot troops I think.  There are mixed messages coming out about whether they plan to or not.  People quoting Rick as saying yes and no. :~

I did notice on one of the concept art thing something about a warrior’s armbands, so clearly they have put some thought into regular troops.

Zuh-Khinie:

I would think it very unlikely that WF would bring out warmachines, a great taurus, bullcentaurs, hobgoblins and possibly even blunderbusses from what I’ve heard, and not do normal warriors…

But prices will probably go up as long as WF doesn’t release any foottroopers.

jprp:

Forget GW get some cheap Mantic Dwarfs, also other manufacturers make Hobgoblins.

zobo1942:

Perhaps they’ll release a conversion kit - some cool chaos dwarf shoulderpads and helmets so you could convert your vanilla dwarfs into chaos space marines - oops, I mean chaos dwarfs. :wink: