[Archive] What is a hobhound?

Taurian:

I hate to bother with this question, but I’ve seen these hobhound minis on eBay and I was wondering if there were any more details about them out there. The mini that I’ve seen doesn’t look too impressive and fearsome, so I was thinking that a custom mini might be in order. But I’m not sure how big they are meant to be or if the mini that I’ve seen is an accurate portrayal.

GRNDL:

Hobhounds were basically hobgoblin attack hounds. They looked like regular dogs, but with a scraggly sort of lion-like mane. I’m not sure when they were phased out of the army lists, but they were in the first edition of Warhammer in the Forces of Fantasy, back in '83 or so. As a unit, there was a handler and 2-3 dogs, IIRC.

Taurian:

Hobhounds were basically hobgoblin attack hounds. They looked like regular dogs, but with a scraggly sort of lion-like mane.  I'm not sure when they were phased out of the army lists, but they were in the first edition of Warhammer in the Forces of Fantasy, back in '83 or so.  As a unit, there was a handler and 2-3 dogs, IIRC.

GRNDL
Thanks for the info. I tried doing a search so I wouldn't have to make a thread, but all I kept coming up with was some kind of 'hobbit hound', which appears to have been created by Tolkien.

Now that I think of it, if indeed Tolkien did first use the term 'hobhound' for hobbit hounds, then shouldn't that be copyright infringement on the part of GW? They're the ones so keen on protecting words that they don't own, maybe they're due for some role reversal.

Abecedar:

They are old citadel models in the C36 and DL2 ranges.  Check out the wiki ref.

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/wiki/index.php?title=Chaos_Dwarf_Models_-_2nd_and_3rd_edition#C27_Hobhounds_and_Hobgoblin_Master

Willmark:

Hobhounds were basically hobgoblin attack hounds. They looked like regular dogs, but with a scraggly sort of lion-like mane.  I'm not sure when they were phased out of the army lists, but they were in the first edition of Warhammer in the Forces of Fantasy, back in '83 or so.  As a unit, there was a handler and 2-3 dogs, IIRC.

GRNDL
^ this pretty much

BITD- (3rd edition days) the wood elf, chaos and dark elf armies has pack units with handlers (wood elves could have big cats and bears). Being that hobs were an ally contingent they had hob hounds. The models were of smaller scale (as noted) as with most minis back then.

Taurian:

Thanks to all for the info. I was hoping that there might be some more literature on them, like a bestiary entry, but it appears that they were simply tossed in as a miniature add-on without really being fleshed out much.

I think the idea is interesting, I just wasn’t too impressed with the existing miniature. I know that if FW were to do hobhounds, they would look different, and I was simply trying to see in my mind, based upon what was known of them, what that image would look like.

Willmark:

Thanks to all for the info.  I was hoping that there might be some more literature on them, like a bestiary entry, but it appears that they were simply tossed in as a miniature add-on without really being fleshed out much.

I think the idea is interesting, I just wasn't too impressed with the existing miniature.  I know that *if* FW were to do hobhounds, they would look different, and I was simply trying to see in my mind, based upon what was known of them, what that image would look like.

Taurian
Slight info in the 3rd edition WFB rule book not much. I have it but my scanner crapped the bed.

GRNDL:

Thanks to all for the info.  I was hoping that there might be some more literature on them, like a bestiary entry, but it appears that they were simply tossed in as a miniature add-on without really being fleshed out much.

Taurian
Yeah, there really wasn't much of anything back then. Even the Forces of Fantasy expansion only had a few paragraphs for an entire army and then a chart for all the stats. An army list was basically 1-page, perhaps 2 for things like Undead and Chaos.

If it helps, I think the hobhounds and related models were sculpted by Nick Lund, who was doing a lot of the Orcs, back then.

Abecedar:

What I’ve found so far in the 3rd ed’ book was in the generalised section on beasts / packs and handlers

Willmark:

Yep that is the amount of material you’ll find. That and the infamous claim to be working on material for Nippon.

Willmark:

I hate to bother with this question, but I've seen these hobhound minis on eBay and I was wondering if there were any more details about them out there.  The mini that I've seen doesn't look too impressive and fearsome, so I was thinking that a custom mini might be in order.  But I'm not sure how big they are meant to be or if the mini that I've seen is an accurate portrayal.

Taurian
If you want send me a PM for more details.

cornixt:

I found a unit entry in the 3rd ed Warhammer Armies book for the Hobgoblin Contingent. It really just says they are large dogs and has a basic line drawing of them.

Willmark:

They are also listed in the 3rd edition WFB rulebook.