[Archive] When to sell off your GW stuff?

Animatone:

Hello,

So after 10+ years of figures sitting in a tackle box collecting dust I’m still deciding on whether or not to sell off my Sisters of Battle figures in hopes of raising up some funds for the hopeful release of their new models coming out in the end of 2013.

My question is would now be a better time to unload my stash (300+ models, all stripped of paint, some in blisters and others just unpainted)? Or would it be more of a sellers market once their new models arrive?

I go back and forth with this idea seeing the prices on eBay and wonder, because it seems that in the case of the CD’s if the new SOB models were to be quite divergent from the old, that could very well split the demand between people who liked the originals versus the new and this would be in my favor since I have a lot of the old. But if the new models were to be fairly similar, just multi-piece kits with different weapon options that somewhat resembled the current line with an update so to speak I feel this would totally devalue my stock of SOB stuff, because fever people would opt for the old once the newer more variable kits become available.

From the looks of the leaked GW 2013 list I feel that the army won’t really be getting a total revamp, but rather a update in the line, but I’m so on the fence with this that I can’t really decide. Heck if they were to drastically change the look of the SOB’s I might not even like the new models myself and rather stick with old ones. But I always love the newer GW stuff and can only image how cool the already coolest looking army in 40K will be once they release the new stuff.

But either way if anyone would like to ponder this for me and shoot me some advice I’d appreciate it. And if you are in the market for some SOB stuff then you could very well be seeing a steady listing of all things SOB over the next couple of months. For if I do sell off my war chest on mini’s I’ll be listing it in small squad listings and have almost an embarrassing amount of stuff.

Here’s a list all from memory so it might not be exact and if you’re wondering I used to paint/build demo displays for a local comic/miniatures shop while in high school/college and did everything for trade (along with the other stuff I picked up over the years).

7 Original Canones with combi flamer

All special character models (x2)

7 Newer Canones models

7 Banner Poll Bearers

7 Banner Bearers

7 Simulacrum Impirialis Bearers

15+ Heavy Bolter Sisters

15+ Heavy Flamer Sisters

15+ Multi Melta Sisters

15+ Flamer Sisters

15+ Melta Gun Sisters

15+ Storm Bolter Sisters

100+ Sisters with Bolt Guns

20+ Veteran Sisters (various weapons)

50+ Seraphim

15+ Seraphim with hand Flamers

15+ Seraphim Veteran Sisters

7 Mistresses

60+ Repentia

5 Penitent Engines

I’m going to hold on to the Immolators I think, but I have 8 over them.

So once again just looking for a little advice on the matter.

Sell now (before release)?

or

Sell later (after release)?

Thanks and take care

MLP:

Well I’d say if you’re looking to get more money I would wait until the new release. Generally it spikes more interest and people will browse eBay for OOP models getting you more sales with higher bids. I think this was noticed when forgeworld started doing chaos dwarfs the prices for OOP ones went up.

But whether to sell or not is a different question. If they’re all lovingly painted and are of many years collection you may very well regret selling. You also will likely not get a new army of equal size for what you get for them making you feel like you lost a little more.

Another consideration is that you might not like the new miniatures! They could be terrible and you won’t want them!

Finally there’s the fact that OOP armies are cool and different and will always be noticed over new ones.

Personally, I would wait for the release and then decide.

Animatone:

Thanks MLP, sound advice.

That’s probably the better way to go about it. I personally am not a huge fan of old OOP army’s, but it is true the majority of my friends and people I talk about gaming with are always in love the older stuff (maybe its nostalgia or something).

And who knows how the new models will be? I typically like the newer stuff, but the previous incarnation of the dark elves totally took me by surprise and I really didn’t like the sculpts by Chris Fitzpatrick when he was with games workshop (for the most part).

Thanks again for bouncing the idea around.

rpitts2004:

I wouldn’t sell just because some rumours in the internet. Which I thought they disproved those rumours for that 2013 list.

Vogon:

If you do decide to part with them I’d love to get a unit of 5 each of Heavy Weapons.

Cheers

Vogon

Thorne:

Well I’d say if you’re looking to get more money I sell off slowly now why wait until the new release whilst they are rare in hoby shops and stores arround that adds something of a rarity that makes them instantly more appealing.

Generally it follows on the evilBay that the lesser of the models are online the more people pay. I have known badly awful paintjob miniatures sell for more than they would cost from GW themselves. I know having considered a fullscale reboot of a sisters of battle army they are darn expensive right now.

Now depending on how old these models are I have known that the standard boxed set configuration has gone for as much as the asking price on the GW mail order set.

People have gotten this fake misconception that sisters models are oop already. Lending them to sell for more than they do already on the offical site. Also witnessing sisters of battle excorsist selling for £44 from one seller and on the site they co for £36.

I think slowly is the nature of the beast so you dont flood your own market.

Animatone:

You’re completely right Throne… I almost pass out every time I see people paying over list price for used eBay SOB stuff when you can just order it from GW directly.

It’s totally insane some of the bid up prices for SOB stuff for the most part, but yeah squad based seems to be the way to unload stuff. Repentia go for $40 a squad consistently online and I have 6+ squads.

Thommy H:

Are you willing to ship to the UK? Because I’d take some of that stuff off your hands, possibly.

Animatone:

Are you willing to ship to the UK? Because I'd take some of that stuff off your hands, possibly.

Thommy H
Yeah Thom I would, but still up in the air with when I'd make the move to unload it. But I'll post here once I'm ready to start listing off my stuff on eBay.

snowblizz:

I wouldn't sell just because some rumours in the internet. Which I thought they disproved those rumours for that 2013 list.

rpitts2004
I've actually seen some interesting takes that actually makes it sound more plausible. Doesn't mean it is all accurate but there are stuff liked named characters that is corroborated by other sources.

Animatone:

I wouldn't sell just because some rumours in the internet. Which I thought they disproved those rumours for that 2013 list.

rpitts2004
I've actually seen some interesting takes that actually makes it sound more plausible. Doesn't mean it is all accurate but there are stuff liked named characters that is corroborated by other sources.

snowblizz
Yeah! Which makes me think that the new SOB stuff is a go, so now would be the time to sell since interest is peaked and only directed at the current line rather then the new. But then I still think the current battle sisters line (minus the old bolt gun style) is the coolest army for 40k if you're into forces of the imperium, and their heavy weapons teams are AWESOME!

Then again if all GW is going to do is just release some multi part foot trooper and seraphim kits, I'd gladly part with my foot troopers, seraphim and repentia and pick up the new ones, hanging on to my heavy weapons teams. So who knows?

And once again... what to do?

snowblizz:

And once again... what to do?

Animatone
If I knew the answer... are SoB really popular though? I thought the WD list wasn't received very well.

I'm sort of repeating earlier posts here because they mirror my train of thought.
At the end of the process, do you see yourself with a SoB army to play with?
Do you fancy the existing range?
One thing is certain if/when a new codex comes the cost to replace the models will be higher than what you paid (disregarding the paint for trade part) and also whatever you get for the models now will probably not cover the new ones.

You've got way more than you need for a standard army. So consider keeping enough for a 1500-1800 force that you'd like to play plus maybe stuff you really really like (though 8 immolators might be pushing it) and selling off the rest slowly up to the point it's know what the new stuff will be. You won't get the absolute maximum, but you are also less likely to end up where the figs aren't really wanted after codex release.

And that's the crux of course, when is it worth the most. I don't know the market as is. I don't think we'll see an increase compared to CDs as those were FW products and so kinda expensive and not as easily purchased. You'll have SoB players looking at cheaper alternatives from the Finecast and plastic kits which once again will elicit responses along the lines of "are they kidding!!!??!!". Of course any model simply converted to Finecast and not replaced could have a significant increase.

Selling off slowly starting now (if there's a market now) mimics best practice for investments over time (at least if I remember my classes and "tips" I've read correctly), ie buy overtime because it's impossible to hit the "lows" (you'd be aiming for the highs) with certainty. Don't envy your decision...

Animatone:

Snowblizz

Selling off half isn’t a bad idea (actually) I like it a lot, but truth is I’m not terribly interested in other 40K armies and I wasn’t too concerned with not being able to replace all my old models for new, because your right… it will cost far more to replace them.

The one thing that I don’t like however is not having a visually cohesive force, so if I did sell off half hoping to sock away enough to pick up some new stuff it wouldn’t sit well with my tastes so to speak.

But longer term I like the idea of having a massive army (or armies), because growing up I got into gaming because of some older guys in my neighborhood who would run a weekly gaming club out of a boy scouts meeting hall, and they had tons of stuff, more then they would ever need, but they weren’t just accommodating themselves rather all the other younger kids who would come and want to try out pick up games and what not.

So far aside form my SOB stuff, I have probably 5-7K of ogre kingdoms, 8-10K of CD’s (with 30% being SOM, WOC and O&G allies mixed in) and about 1K of grey knights/imperial guard stuff to make an old school Inquisitorial force list if I wanted.

I plan on having a lot of it professionally painted over the the next 3-5 years once I’m done with my residency and just focus on setting up all my tables and terrain myself (the little less labor and time intensive stuff).

So in the grand scheme I’ll probably take your recommendation and start to off load some stuff once the new year comes and then either sell of the rest if the line changes drastically and I like it, or just keep what I have if not, and maybe just find something else to collect, or maybe nothing at all.

But either way thanks for the advice.

Thorne:

If I knew the answer...  are SoB really popular though? I thought the WD list wasn't received very well.

snowblizz
If Im goning to be honenst I think the WD list not being well recived was/is indicates how popular they really are.

I however do have a theory behind why the new WD dex was a failure.

The possibility that the white dwarf list sucked could be one of those twisted ways of guaging interest in the army again ? How prominetly outspoken many people were when the new accepted suck list appeared was down to the fact that If GW didnt get that fan outrage then they wouldnt bother re releasing the force. If the community as a whole accepted the new dex without complaints then the sisters would have been put on the shelves next to the Zoats, Squats ect ect.

snowblizz:

If I knew the answer...  are SoB really popular though? I thought the WD list wasn't received very well.

snowblizz
If Im goning to be honenst I think the WD list not being well recived was/is indicates how popular they really are.

I however do have a theory behind why the new WD dex was a failure.

The possibility that the white dwarf list sucked could be one of those twisted ways of guaging interest in the army again ? How prominetly outspoken many people were when the new accepted suck list appeared was down to the fact that If GW didnt get that fan outrage then they wouldnt bother re releasing the force. If the community as a whole accepted the new dex without complaints then the sisters would have been put on the shelves next to the Zoats, Squats ect ect.

Thorne
I wouldn't buy that explanation. Purely from the POV that they clearly don't give a hoot what the Internet thinks, in fact a lot of it is actively ignoring "those nuts on-line and serving the silent majority which are perfectly happy with whatever we do, so we always end up being right..."

Animatone:

Either way the new list was a bust and I don’t understand GW’s motivation with a lot of things, but that doesn’t change the fact the their models are the best! Even after all those years, I’m still a huge fan and then some. Heck the SOB stuff still is top notch even after not touching it for a decade.