[Archive] Which rules to use?

Aedh11:

Which rules are better to use? Chaos Dwarf or simply the Dwarf army book? Also, is the Chaos Dwarf list provided on the Website legal for all tournament etc?

Swissdictator:

Personally? I like the actual Chaos Dwarf rules A LOT more. We have a lot of flexibility, even if we don’t have the elite infantry like hammerers or ironbreakers.

We have mobility, sacrificial troops, cheap shooting (Hobgobs with bows), nasty shooting (Blunderbuss), and wacky warmachines that are better then most Dwarf ones base purchase-wise, dirt cheap bolt throwers, ld 10 heroes, and access to magic… and I’m forgetting stuff.

You’ll also feel less dirty too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Rules legality really depends on what tournaments you go to, and where. In my part of the United States (upper midwest), almost all (if not all) RTTs allow Chaos Dwarfs, a local GW store even allowed me to bring them to a tournament in their store. GTs, I think, are another story.  Where do you live and play?

Grimstonefire:

@Swissdicatator

Do they provide the CD rules for those RTT?  If not, is it just the basic RH version (without the errata)?

Which rules you use depends on how you want to play CD.  Have you played with or against Dwarfs?  I’d seem them in action a few times then make the decision.

Welcome to the forum btw. Because I’m feeling generous I will even give you a free slave.

Aedh11:

Ive seen Dwarfs play but i havnt personally used the CD rules. And I live in the UK, near Warhammer world. =D

Swissdictator:

@Aedh11: I used to play Dwarfs a bit, and I’m basing that on my own personal opinion. Grim has a fair point that you should try it out a couple times. From my own experience I stick to CD.

I don’t know the UK scene that well, I don’t know if the RTTs are relaxed like they are in my part of the world. I hope they are!

@Grim: They use the PDF. The GW store asked I had a couple copies of the PDF (one for them, one to show opponent) which I think was pretty fair.

The alternative is set them up so you can use both somehow. Bull Centaurs as DoW heavy cav, Blunderbuss as Thunderers, etc.

Aedh11:

Yeah I was thinking that I should some way attempt to do both. DoW heavy Cav is a good idea, hadnt thought of that. Thanks.

snowblizz:

Yeah I was thinking that I should some way attempt to do both. DoW heavy Cav is a good idea, hadnt thought of that. Thanks.

Aedh11
The way I'm going is basically this:
I'm making the army somewhere in between and will try and play it as CDs when I can. If not I'll use Dwarf rules and have "appropriate" units as well.

As for the UK, I'm afraid Warhammer World will probably not allow CDs :( they are too close to the Evil Masterminds behind the CD Exorcist Scheme.

Captain Crayon:

My plan is to use the dwarf book.

Warriors as warriors (obviously :stuck_out_tongue: )

Blunderbusses as thunderers

Rocket launchers as bolt throwers

Earthshaker as a stone thrower

Great taurus & Lammasu as Gyrocopters oranvil of doom

Also, toying with the idea of Sneaky gits as miners (using their mad ninja skills to sneak around the back)

And bull centaurs either as Ogres or as DOW cavalry.

I’ve also thought about basing them 2 on a 40mm base as ironbreakers or hammerers or something. but that generally creates too much to beconfused about.

Now what about the slaves?

My regular opponents have no issue with me adding in units of wolf riders, orcs and black orcs for larger games tomake up the points.

:slight_smile:

tetnis:

The CD pdf is an edition behind. This means that lots of the units were designed with the different ruleset in mind. While this hurts some units like sneaky gits, the list is so out of date that it keeps things like cheap hobbos and bolt throwers, earthshakers and ld10 heroes, which is truly nasty. Thus, exploit the incongruities!

Joshmohr:

I use CD rules; Earthshaker, 2 boltthrowers, death rockets, Bull Centuar (Faster than any other dwarfs), LD 10… what more could we want? Armor of the forge, amulet, and of coarse magical shield. Lets see… Add all that on a Bull Centaur lord.

Thommy H:

The CD pdf is an edition behind.  This means that lots of the units were designed with the different ruleset in mind.   While this hurts some units like sneaky gits, the list is so out of date that it keeps things like cheap hobbos and bolt throwers, earthshakers and ld10 heroes, which is truly nasty.  Thus, exploit the incongruities!

tetnis
6th Edition is not as different from 7th as some people seem to think. The incongruities you mention are more to do with the way the army list was published - as part of a booklet with every other army list for the currently supported armies - than the differences in Editions. If other armies had to use their Ravening Hordes rules still, they'd have to deal with similar incongruities.