[Archive] Which set of "rules"

imNOTgimliDAMMIT:

Hi everyone. First post :cheers Although I normally play WoC, I still love the idea of the Hordes of Chaos.  I’ve decided to add a Chaos Dwarf contingent to my WoC army, placing an order for the Forgeworld Daemonsmiths and Infernal Command.  My question is which set of rules is most commonly used… TAMURKHAN THE THRONE OF CHAOS or the Ravening Hordes from WD.  I have never read either in any case and since Tamurkhan is so expensive I want to know if its worth it.  Thanks.

Da Crusha:

right now the Tamurkhan book is used most often and is the most recent ruleset covering chaos dwarves.

Nicodemus:

I still really like the RH list, but I haven’t played a single game with a RH army since the new book came out. There’s also been very little chatter on here about RH either since Tamurkhan came out.

Lord Aldades:

I tend to toggle between both of them, mostly due to the fact that Tamaurkhan makes the whole greenskin contignent of my force redundant at the moment.

Alternatively, I also when allowed like to play the fanmade Warhammer Armies: Hobgoblins once in a while, as the conversion options for a force like that are awesome.

imNOTgimliDAMMIT:

I tend to toggle between both of them, mostly due to the fact that Tamaurkhan makes the whole greenskin contignent of my force redundant at the moment.

Alternatively, I also when allowed like to play the fanmade Warhammer Armies: Hobgoblins once in a while, as the conversion options for a force like that are awesome.

Lord Aldades
Speaking of fanmade... I've also come across Thommy H's CD Armybook. Have you or anyone else tried his version?

Lord Aldades:

I personally never tried Thommy H’s nor Kevin Coleman’s Dwarfs of Chaos (the Indy 2008 one) so far, they are still on the ‘get them to the printers’ list of my to do list

JMR:

Speaking of fanmade... I've also come across Thommy H's CD Armybook. Have you or anyone else tried his version?

imNOTgimliDAMMIT
I exclusively use Thommy's book and there's a few others around here who do so too. It's in my opinion the best written, balanced and fun book currently around.
Having said that, Tamurkhan is by far used the most, simply because it's the "most official" one.

imNOTgimliDAMMIT:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I’ll take a closer look at Thommy H’s version before shelling out the money for Tamurkhan.

Time of Madness:

It really comes down to who/where you plan on playing. If you play against a group of good friends on a regular basis then one of the “Homemade” lists like Thommy’s will do nicely.

If you plan on playing against people you don’t know well or at club/event type settings then you’ll need the Tamurkhan book. The Tamurkhan book is used exclusively at tournys/events in this area.

Time of Madness

Lava Lord:

Hello, and welcome, I’ve played the Indy and RH rules, years ago.  Now I’m doing a come back. The Tommy H. rules are great and the newer Tamurkhan are Int’l recieved.  I believe their quite simular in that the main pieces are there.  The Tamurkhan has the fluff with the rules for one LoA.  The whole CD world has several major cities and many Legions, each a little different.  Where the LoA has only certain choices.  The Tommy H. rules are more emcompassing, letting you have these different legions…  I will be using a combo of the both…:hat off

imNOTgimliDAMMIT:

Hello, and welcome, I've played the Indy and RH rules, years ago.  Now I'm doing a come back. The Tommy H. rules are great and the newer Tamurkhan are Int'l recieved.  I believe their quite simular in that the main pieces are there.  The Tamurkhan has the fluff with the rules for one LoA.  The whole CD world has several major cities and many Legions, each a little different.  Where the LoA has only certain choices.  The Tommy H. rules are more emcompassing, letting you have these different legions..  I will be using a combo of the both..:hat off

Lava Lord
Yeah I just downloaded the Thommy H. armybook and plan to get acquainted with it this weekend.