[Archive] Who's actually seen the new Trek movie?

dedwrekka:

I saw it tonight. It was a very enjoyable movie. I do wonder where they will take this though.

Swissdictator
My guess is very close to nowhere. I think their last series pretty much ended the tenuous hold any new trek series had on wide audiences.

Willmark:

Saw it tuesday awesome!

Zanko:

I saw it on Wednesday … not bad!

Cool actors (esp. Uhura!), good special effects, the only thing I didn`t like is that there was another time travel - that´s too much!

But despite this very well done! :hat off

I can recommend the film!

:hashut

cornixt:

Saw it yesterday. Very good! I’d heard people complaining that it differs from the original canon, but it actually sidesteps that issue in a very Star Trek way.

Baggronor:

I'd heard people complaining that it differs from the original canon, but it actually sidesteps that issue in a very Star Trek way.
You have to love the way they went so far to keep the diehards happy, and yet many of them still complained :) Yet if they simply rehashed the same old material, they would get slated for being uninventive.

cornixt:

All I have to say is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM

Theory_Man:

It was a great movie. I was shocked on how well it was done, clearing away continuity problems for future films. I’m excited for the next one.

Border Reiver:

Saw it twice last weekend (once with my wife for a date, and the other time with the eldest). Enjoyed it immensely - the acting was good, the special effects were excellent, and the writing was well done.

I classify this as a good movie - not just as a Star Trek movie.

Sojourn:

oh, I loved it! :slight_smile: Kirk is adorable (aka, hot!)

I actually did really enjoy it, though I found the time travel a little frustrating, and also felt that a certain ‘prime’ character managed to remove self-discovery from many of the individuals, i.e. Scotty, etc. it took away from their character and self development, but, meh, it was still good.

The actors were well chosen, though Uhura’s character was a little thin on development… they could’ve made her a much better role, but instead she was sorta there just because she’s female. which is too bad.

it was very good, I saw it in Imax too. awesome. :slight_smile:

GRNDL:

Saw it tonight. Overall, I don’t get it bits of it. The alternate history thing really fell flat IMO and while everything was exciting and entertaining, overall it did little to reboot anything. Its basically back to being the way it was before. Maybe someone can point out what I’m missing.

It met my expectations - large on action, low on science fiction; which doesn’t make it Star Trek IMO. I felt that a lot of the writing was really weak and very amateurish. Like Nero talking to his first mate about how they’ve been waiting for revenge for 25 years… As his first mate has been with Nero for 25 years also awaiting revenge, he already knows that, so that exposition is purely for the audience. Tsk tsk…

Production design was cool though. Everything looked slick.

spazfrag666:

saw it and loved it

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

tjub:

saw it and loved it

spazfrag666
It was ok.

HoneyQ143:

After tonight, I will accept apparent it twice. I anticipation that it was a acceptable cine that even some one who did not like brilliant expedition could go and enjoy. I am Trekkie. All the way, I accept been from the age of 6 if I aboriginal watched STNG derma of evil, admitting it does accept some actual absorbing $.25 to awning if they do a new cine wont say any added as Kera has not apparent it yet and don�?Tt wont to blemish it for her

Writing jobs

wallacer:

I think it did enough to revitalise the franchise.  The box office receipts for it were huge.

Border Reiver:

Productin was excellent, and the the characters were similar enough to how we remember them from the orginals for the old fogies and interesting enough for those that haven’t seen them.

And Kirk got the green chick.

Baggronor:

And Kirk got the green chick.
She was hot :)

Uzkul Werit:

And the only reason why I went to see GI Joe.

Star Trek would’ve remained my top pick for the summer, if it wasn’t for Inglorious Basterds, District Nine and The Hangover.

LumpinCroop:

to be honest I really wasn’t that impressed. The plot had a LOT of holes and contrivances.

For example, magic planet where coincidentially Scotty, Kirk and Old Spock all end up…and it’s within visual distance of Vulcan?

Also, using a brewery for engineering looked real unbelievable. The set design on the Romulan ship was bad too…

I do give high marks to Karl Urban for doing a great job channeling Deforest. And Quinto was good too. Didn’t really care for the punk-acting Kirk though…

cornixt:

Magic planet? Spock was put there because it was in visual distance of it being destroyed, Kirk was sent there because it was the closest place to where they were (next to Vulcan, to which they went to stop being destroyed). Scotty was the only coincidence. And the ending was very convenient.

Brewery? Big pipes and things are very engineering. Plus, where would they make the synthahol?