[Archive] Why no Heroes?

Piccolo:

Why don’t Orcs & Goblins get any hero special characters? Every other army seems to have a lot of them and O&G didn’t get even one. Dark Elves even have champion special chars. Did they forget to give orcs hero special chars or what? Just doesn’t seem fair to me.

Skitter:

The earlier books in the line have fewer characters, as the new herohammer had not hit with full force yet. Dwarfs version 6.5 only have three characters in total. Later books like lizardmen are full of characters.

As to if this is fair or not? Don’t bother me much, as I don’t play with special characters at all, no matter what army I use.

Groznit Goregut:

The counter argument, though, is that Empire did get a lot of special characters, including a number of special heroes.

Still, the full HeroHammer was not back yet, as stated.

Orcs and Goblins didn’t even get all their same Special Characters from last edition back. Wurzag is gone. There is that really cool hero orc guy from the Red Fang tribe that I have his old mini. It would be cool to have him back.

It makes me want them to change the rollout order. Orcs and Goblins always come out first and are always a mediocre list. I wish they would delay them for a year or two to get them in the full Power Gamer section. I might not want to play a full nasty OnG army, but having one that doesn’t struggle as much would still be nice.

Kera foehunter:

my question is isn’t the war bosses a hero??

Piccolo:

The earlier books in the line have fewer characters, as the new herohammer had not hit with full force yet. Dwarfs version 6.5 only have three characters in total. Later books like lizardmen are full of characters.
As to if this is fair or not? Don't bother me much, as I don't play with special characters at all, no matter what army I use.

Skitter
the dwarf book was still done in the 6th edition so there is a good chance they will get another one, as to the use of special characters I think we would be better off if they dropped them altogether, but since they exist I think It would be nice if they were distributed fairly.
For example a 2000 point dark elf army can have 6 special characters in total (1 lord 3 heroes 2 champions) while an orc & goblin army can have only one (1 lord). If your opponent is fair he won't take the 6 special characters, but not all people are fair. Some are power players that use a lot of cheese in their games .
And since it's a good idea to fight fire with fire the obvious option would be to use special characters yourself to fight the cheese. Unfortunately not everybody can do this...:mad

BilboBaggins:

I would like to see them go back to Special Character are used with opponents permission only, but I’m pretty sure that is not going to happen.

They then should make the special characters either take up extra slots (Won’t happen because they have been dumbing down warhammer) or cost much more than a comparable hero/lord with similar equipment. The main Slayer Army Hero (Garagrim Ironfist) cost the same points as a tooled out Daemon Slayer but had additional abilities.

Skitter:

If I remember correctly the O&G book was actually written before Empire, but released after.

In my gaming circle we still abide by the old rules when it comes to special characters. Only with oponents premission. We are having a tournament this month with special characters, and I will simply not participate. That is my choice. In such an environment it is of course a bit unfair that some armies are decked out with cool and powerful choices, and some are not. As someone stated earlier, it would be nice if GW were smart enough to distribute them evenly.

BilboBaggins:

GW claims that you can tool out a plain jane hero/lord to be a special character beater. I wouldn’t skip a tourament because of special characters, remember the Chaos Dwarfs have no SPECIAL CHARACTERS.

Skitter:

Well, I am rather stubborn on that issue :hashut

I will drop by and help my friends with my cheerful mood and stunning looks of course… :cheers

I “grew up” with herohammer and I have since developed an allergic reaction to it… As teenagers I saw multiple greater daemons, Nagash, Arbaal, Dieter Helsnicht(spelling?), Tyrion, Teclis, Amon Chakai, Magnus the Pious, King Louen, Thanqoul, Deathmaster Snichkt and the lot every single game. I of course used Astragoth and Zhatan on a great taurus. It just became sooo boooring. Today I look at special characters with utter contempt. It would have to be a very special occation for me to play with them.

TLTG:

The only current special character that I think is worth complaining about is Epidemius. Nobody else comes even close to the level of stupid Epidemius generates (in 2250 at least) except for possibly Mannfred von Carstein. If Epidemius were a lord choice and 200 points more expensive, he’d STILL be over the top for his effect on 3000+ size games. If you want to waste several hundred points on unique models that (90% of the time) have cool and interesting abilities, go for it.

As for Orcs and Goblins, they may not get a lot of choices, but the ones they DO get are pretty solid. Grimgor NEEDS to be directed away from your battle line or he’ll kill the whole thing himself. Gorbad is intense just because of his leadership bubble. And Azhag is the coolest special character ever.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Skitter…I’m sure it will come around for CD’s some day.

Piccallo ~ What about Gorbad Ironclaw, Azhag the Slaughterer, Grimgor Ironhide, Grom the Paunch of Misty Moutain and Skarskin, Warlord of the Eight Peaks? Those are all special Character Lords in the current O&G Army Book.

@ TLTG ~ WOAH! I’m looking at Grimgor’s stats right now! 7 attack! HS! And his axe adds +2 Strength! Yeah…he’s a 1` man killing machine! Are we allowed to use him in our CD army? I know we can get Black Orcs.

BilboBaggins:

Grimgor is a beast, and no the CD’s can’t take him.

Skitter:

Well, if CD do get a book with 10 special characters, I still would not use them. I play High Elves, Skaven, Warriors of Chaos and Tomb Kings too, and never use special characters for any of them. Much better to invent my own characters and make up their story as I play games.

BilboBaggins:

I don’t use special charaters, unless my opponent requests them, in Warhammer or Lord of the Rings (except the Hobbit army where you have no choice).

My Empire uses a Grand Master of the Blazing Sun as General (I call him Tomas Eckstein)

My Dwarf Army has a Dwarf Lord I call Brew master Grombar Stronghand.

My Chaos Dwarfs are led by a Sorcerer Lord named Vladimir Tihvinsky

and My Slayers are led by a Daemon Slayer named Hargrim Bronzeaxe.

If I play under 2K they go to younger (weaker) versions of themselves (Hero level).

Tarrakk Blackhand:

@ Billbo ~ I thought the question was about Orcs and Goblins in general, not nessiccarily how they relate to CDO’s. Grimgor is a Black Orc special character, according to the book.

Yeah, I did find out that Cd’s can’t take the special characters from the O&G book.

Piccolo:

Piccallo ~ What about Gorbad Ironclaw, Azhag the Slaughterer, Grimgor Ironhide, Grom the Paunch of Misty Moutain and Skarskin, Warlord of the Eight Peaks? Those are all special Character Lords in the current O&G Army Book.

Tarrakk Blackhand
that's what I'm talking about, all lords and not a single hero

jolpis:

i cant se the fun in special characters you dont equipp them yourself, and youreallly cant call em your hero/lord and if you face an enemy with the same race chances are that he uses the same character. i belive in having a complicated hero/lord building/equpping system instead

BilboBaggins:

The most fun was when I was in a tournament with my Chaos Dwarfs when I anounced I was making an attack with Vladimir and then his mount (the Lammasu named Fluffy). One of my friends over heard me and started cracking up. He promptly told my wife who was painting in the store at the time, she didn’t know how far I named the heroes, and unit champs in that army.

Swissdictator:

In my old O&G army I named all my Black Orcs.

There was Langdon, William… there was both a Calvin and a Hobbes… among other fun names.

I always name a big beastie “Bob from Accounting”

Tarrakk Blackhand:

In my old O&G army I named all my Black Orcs.

There was Langdon, William.... there was both a Calvin and a Hobbes... among other fun names.

I always name a big beastie "Bob from Accounting"

swiss
The most fun was when I was in a tournament with my Chaos Dwarfs when I anounced I was making an attack with Vladimir and then his mount (the Lammasu named Fluffy). One of my friends over heard me and started cracking up. He promptly told my wife who was painting in the store at the time, she didn't know how far I named the heroes, and unit champs in that army.

billbobaggins
Is this the part where William Shatner comes in and says "Get a life you people!"? LOL!