[Archive] WIP Mantic Obsidian Golems

JMR:

I stumbled upon these shots of WIP Obsidian Golems that Mantic is making as part of their Kickstarter campaign to be part of their Abyssal Dwarf faction. Figured they might be of interest!

Pictures are taken from therenaissancegamer.co.uk.

At Mantic’s open day it was said that “they�?Tre meant to have a fire (or energy source) burning in their belly, and magma under their obsidian skin.”

Unfortunately these are the only pictures I could find of the open day. You’d think more would pop up…

The heads look rather wonky, but overall they should be very usable as K’daai, and much cheaper!

The Kickstarter backers get them in march 2013, so they should be available somewhere around that time.

Da Crusha:

they look pretty promising. would love to see a better picture of the faces.

frogbear:

They look like blood bowl players!

Definately interested to see these though.

fattdex:

They look useful, i’d leave the heads off completely and do some flames coming out of the head hole.

tjub:

They look like blood bowl players!

Definately interested to see these though.

frogbear
Ill have to agree! :)

Groznit Goregut:

Man, if I hadn’t just used some Warmachine and Mage Knight figures, those would be perfect!

beefcake:

Very nice. Glad I did the mantic kickstarter. Freebie coming my way!!

Admiral:

I think Mantic might have produced something buyable for Fantasy that isn’t undead or greenskinned.

AGPO:

Mantic hypocracy when it comes to ripping off GW really bugs me, I won’t be buying.

beefcake:

I found this pic of an assembled one.

Wargames & Stuff: A Jolly holiday with Mantic

Golder Goldeater:

Nah! I don’t like the heads! Besides, sculpting my own out of foam is cheaper!

Mantic hypocracy when it comes to ripping off GW really bugs me, I won’t be buying.

AGPO
Hm? Doesn’t every miniature manufacturer rips off GW and pretends being original?
Why does Mantic bugs you in particular?

Johnny-Crass:

Because Mantic is so blatant about it.

Fully assembled it looks horrid. I will pass regardless of the price.

beefcake:

That head is pretty bad, I hope that the other options look better attached to the mini.

Samanos:

i think it looks awesome !! :slight_smile:

my only concern is that it propably wont rank up :frowning:

gIL^:

Mantic hypocracy when it comes to ripping off GW really bugs me, I won't be buying.

AGPO
My Affair with mantic is over, After those "Abysmal Dwarfs" which are just nasty.

Admiral:

I won’t get any of those for K’daai Fireborn, that’s for sure. As something of a GW loyalist I’ll probably just buy the FW ones, and perhaps convert a few from scratch.

However, since GW dominates the hobby miniatures market heavily, I will welcome even rip-off plagiates for the sake of company competition and customer range of choice. To be fair to Mantic, these Obsidian Golems might have had the FW K’daai as incentive, but they look more like stone golems than fire demons and actually look good as opposed to the Abyssal Dwarf range. Swap the heads and you’ll have some decent golems. To CD players they could also make for some good rank fillers with a bit of conversion.

Time of Madness:

To be honest I wish there was more competition. It would hoepfully drive GW prices down a bit. As far as the models go I’m not a fan of mantics stuff and dislike the greens for these things so far.

Time of Madness

Animatone:

I always support new gaming companies coming out with their products and wish them the best, but I just can’t stand Mantic’s stuff for the most part. I mean they have a few cool figures, but I have no clue why people supported their kickstarter so amazingly well compared to the likes of AoW who have (second to GW/FW) the coolest figures out there.

Still just my take on it…

Either way though, not a fan of the Golem.

gIL^:

I always support new gaming companies coming out with their products and wish them the best, but I just can't stand Mantic's stuff for the most part. I mean they have a few cool figures, but I have no clue why people supported their kickstarter so amazingly well compared to the likes of AoW who have (second to GW/FW) the coolest figures out there.

Still just my take on it...

Either way though, not a fan of the Golem.

Animatone
I really want to see Avatars of war's Dwarfs of Apoc.

Animatone:

I really want to see Avatars of war's Dwarfs of Apoc.

gIL^
AoW Dwarfs of Apoc = Wicked cool!

gIL^ are they going to produce them in the future, or were you just voicing your opinion, in which I also agree would be incredibly cool?