[Archive] Wish I had a terrain table like this!

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Check out this you-Tube vid I found!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r23MWjJmZKg

WOW!

GRNDL:

Pretty cool. Would make for rather small battles though… or very expensive terrain tables if you played Apocalypse. :slight_smile: Would be a relief not to have to paint the damned thing though!

Willmark:

Thats pretty darn cool.

Kera foehunter:

that like playing chess with a computer!!!

i don’t like it there no one to talk to just a blinking board

cornixt:

Only a matter of time before this came up. So many excellent uses, from stopping cheating to playing people on the other side of the world. Add a webcam and you can even exchange banter. A world masters tournament where people don’t have to leave their city!

A few more years before they are properly available, but a great research project. How hard would it have been to add an auto dice roller though…

Hashut’s Blessing:

The auto dice roller was simply to, well, simple :stuck_out_tongue:

I think this has already been on the website, but it’s quite cool. Particularly since it was a 6 week poject or something. very impressive, but I’d only use it for when I wanted to play someone on the other side of the world and couldn;t afford to get there.

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

Yes i’ve seen this many times befor and it looks great but I wouldn’t use it for a major battle proberly only hero battle it’s just having a 1200pt army on a bigger size board then that will just ruin the fun IMO

al-hashut:

Give me a whippy stick anyday

Nevertheless, it’s a pretty cool project. I imagine it’d be possible to do whole squads at a time, it would drive me nuts pushing a button for each model everytime i want it to move/shoot…then again, i play Imperial Guard

Tarrakk Blackhand:

OH yeah! Imagine the cost of this if it were a 4"x8" board with all that tech in it, etc.

They’d also have to R&D it so that if you wanted to add a hill, building, wall, or other terrain, that it would register it in the computer. It would also have to be readable as blocking, difficult and hindering terrain as well as have all the army dynamics for all 3 GW games, like LoTR, Fantasy and 40K because it would have to register that Wood Elves can move freely through trees whereas Dwarfs can’t. And then what happens if a character moves onto that hill. Would the computer be able to recognise that he’s on it, or would it just “blank out”.

Also, it would have to register Fantasy on 4 ways. #1. Units, #2. Individual Models, #3. Skirmishers and #4. Units or individuals re-joining other units.

Also, it would have to come with at least 25+ different scenery maps because I don’t think we all want to have every battle on cobblestone, in a forrest, or in space. We’d want a whole lot of places!

snowblizz:

Give me a whippy stick anyday

Nevertheless, it's a pretty cool project. I imagine it'd be possible to do whole squads at a time, it would drive me nuts pushing a button for each model everytime i want it to move/shoot...then again, i play Imperial Guard

al-hashut
That was like my first thought "gee, I hope they don't expect it to go one piece at the time".

Of course these guys didn't really play Warhammer, I remember when they asked about the feasibility on TWF, cool to see what they got.
I remember one problem talked about, sort of was the "pre measurement" that might come about. IIRC they were asking how important accurate measurement was for the game, but the problem of course is in part that the game works on the assumption that you will not know all ranges.

Cryonicleech:

That is the coolest board i’ve ever seen, technology wise.

I’d much rather play on a flocked board with cool terrain, it’s been one of the parts that drew me in the hobby.