[Archive] WoC lord from Dark Vengeance?

Grimstonefire:

I had a dream last night where I made a WoC lord out of this guy…  Looking at it I think it would actually be possible if I resculpted the lower legs and feet below the knee, reduced the left shoulder pad and perhaps entirely replaced the plasma pistol arm (including the pad) and left off the backpack.

Also shaved off a few details on the model like the grenade and the pipes under the pistol arm.

Thoughts?

Anyone have the model to say how tall it would look to a suitable warriors of chaos lord type model?

Skink:

Actually I would say that this job can be far easier than what you said. Why changing the shoulder pads? They look awesome. Simply snip the gun off and sculpt a taunting or pointing hand.
Cut of the backpack and sculpt fur. Lastly cover the joints in the armor (knees and elbows) with greenstuffed chainmail. If there’s somebody amongst us that can do such things that would be definitely you! Plus, a Chaos Lord made out of this guy will look absurdly cool :slight_smile:

nilbog:

He’s as tall as one of the new savage orcs, I don’t know if that’s any help. The backpack is a separate piece, as is the arm (and shoulder pad) holding the plasma pistol so it shouldn’t be toe too difficult to do.

Admiral:

Actually I would say that this job can be far easier than what you said. Why changing the shoulder pads? They look awesome. Simply snip the gun of and sculpt a taunting or pointing hand.
Cut of the backpack and sculpt fur. Lastly cover the joints in the armor (knees and elbows) with greenstuffed chainmail. If there's somebody amongst us that can do such things that would be definitely you! Plus, a Chaos Lord made out of this guy will look absurdly cool :)

Skink
He'd still better resculpt the lower half of the legs to avoid the instant recognition of a Space Marine silhouette. ;)

Kera foehunter:

wow !! now that a dream… I don’t have those types.

But i like to see you do this one look…

JMR:

Heh, furrie and I were actually discussing this last night.

Most notable Space Marine bits are usually the shape of the shoulders, the shin-armour and helmet. On this model the helmet is perfectly okay for fantasy (although maybe a bit…refined). The shoulder pads are okay too, but the shin armour/boots are most notable as being space marine armour. However, even those bits aren’t as noticeable as they could be. The cloak and chainmail between his legs obscure the shape of the shin armour a bit.

I’ve seen this model used as a Tzeentch disk rider with a swap of the plasma pistol and no backpack. If you want to change the model up more, I’d look at the legs first. Still though, painting the boots as being leather might take you a long way. Swapping the head if possible would quickly make it look more unique too. I’d be tempted to try the head of the Slaanesh champion on foot…

Grimstonefire:

That is a good idea JMR about the boots, that would instantly make him look more fantasy with the rugged walking boots some of the WoC guys have.  Mostly simple but with a couple of small spikes here and there for detail.

I really like the helmet on this guy, so that would stay.  I think I’d have to recess the eyes, as they are lenses on the model.  I’d also rough up the cloak quite a bit, as they never should have left it that undamaged.

Abecedar:

just something else but maybe if the backpack is as thin as it looks you could add some banner poles to it as I really like the look of the spine part

Skink:

just something else but maybe if the backpack is as thin as it looks you could add some banner poles to it as I really like the look of the spine part

Abecedar
As already said the backpack is a separate bit. I'd leave that off as it is a signature feature of Space Marines in general... Also, the boot idea is really good, although you can simply sculpt hooves or skulls on his feet. I'd be sold on it anyway;).

Grimstonefire:

I think a trophy rack of some sort will be needed as the fur part is very plain otherwise.

I’m sufficiently convinced this will work I’ll order one off ebay.  Only about £5 including postage.

I think what might work would be to have him holding the horn of a helmet in his pistol hand.  Like he’s just decapitated his rival.

Or, using the backpack for inspiration, maybe even a gore covered spine and skull… Like on Predator.

Skink:

I think a trophy rack of some sort will be needed as the fur part is very plain otherwise.

I'm sufficiently convinced this will work I'll order one off ebay.  Only about £5 including postage.

I think what might work would be to have him holding the horn of a helmet in his pistol hand.  Like he's just decapitated his rival.

Or, using the backpack for inspiration, maybe even a gore covered spine and skull...  Like on Predator.

Grimstonefire
Think about the bigger picture. This guy (a Chaos Lord on foot) will be most likely standing in a unit. This is why (IMO) a horn in his hand would look weird. Skull & spine a la predator makes much more sense, as well as a pointing or taunting hand. Trophy racks always look good on Chaos models; will you be using a GW bit to represent them or you'll be sculpting something of your own? It would be nice to see some Dark/Wood/High elf, Saurus or Skaven head in lieu of the usual Empire skull... Even a Troll head (if done properly) would look epic.

Thorne:

I love the cloak, Im actively trying several ways on how to replicate them on my gnomes. I think if I were doing the conversion I would use/make a ogres skull to go atop the spine of the backpack as a trophy then cover the obvious sci fi ribbing on the arm with recessed chainmail by scraping some of the plastic out and re filling with greenstuff chain mail. Blending the backpack into the cloak with the same fur texture on the backpack. Using the ends of the backpack upon the knee as knee detailing. Not to mention what grim said have him holding the horn of a helmet in his pistol hand

Animatone:

Totally would make a great Chaos Lord!

1. Ditch the backpack and toss a banner pole and or trophy rack on the back
2. Ditch the right arm daemon sword and replace with the Chaos Lord on Manticore arm weapon option, in my opinion the sword, but the chain flail would also be interesting
3. Chop the left hand off and swop it with a chaos knight shield.
4. Custom base of some sort

And now you have one cool WoC Chaos Lord on foot.

Below are the bits I would use

Very nice!

Nicodemus:

I’d like to do something with this model too. Compared to the usual size for fantasy, with the cape this model fills out a 40x40mm base nicely… so on a 25mm base he will still fit, but he’s going to need some realestate next door :wink: I think if the lower body was swapped out for legs to go along with a mount this could also be made to work in fantasy.

Grimstonefire:

So, my 2 lord models off ebay arrived today (£5.4 including postage).  I did a fair bit of work on the lower legs and sculpted ontop of the armour plates on the legs.  Should be a very effective conversion I think.

I’m thinking I will sculpt the second one as an army standard bearer, based just for display purposes (as it would be a waste to convert him to nurgle, my army theme).  Well, just add him to my collection as all my models are for display purposes.

I’ll take some pics tomorrow night.

Kera foehunter:

Like to see this one Grims so could you Please hurry:)

Grimstonefire:

Here he is.  Sorry for the slightly blurred pic

I still need to sculpt:

Some rivets on top of the rims on his knee pads.
Some small spikes on his boots
A couple of tiny bits of greenstuff here and there
Some detail on the plates on his legs
Do something with the free hand, probably end up being a pointing finger

The shield is just held on with blu tack and he’s not stuck down on the base yet.  Thoughts on the shield?

Also the body is not actually stuck in place either, so I can take some better photos of what I’ve changed and probably paint him in 2 parts (the body and everything else).

Overall I’m still not sure quite how to paint this guy.  Being non nurgle he doesn’t really fit into my army, so the colour is largely irrelevant.  However, I do like the red he’s painted above. Or I could do an undivided black of some kind.

Animatone:

AWESOME WORK!

Can’t wait to see more Grim.

Kera foehunter:

off to a good start love the boots

Grimstonefire:

Overall I’d say this was not an easy conversion, but certainly not too difficult.

There were 2 tricky parts; cleaning out the tubes going into his helmet, also under his sword arm I had to cut quite a lot out of the armour bit underneath.  Which will all become clear once I complete sculpting and take loads of pics. :slight_smile:

Fortunately I still have my other one almost untouched, so I can do before and after shots.

EDIT
I forgot to mention that I’ve been considering giving him two short swords/daggers as well, but they might clutter up the front of the model?