[Archive] Yellowed Whitemetal Casts

Admiral:

I’ve noticed that some whitemetal miniatures have a pale yellow tint to them. What causes it? Is it harmless?

Out of ignorance one could guess that it’s down to fluctuating proportions of the ingredients in the alloy, or even cooling time allowed before opening the mould. Likewise, out of ignorance one could guess it to be a cosmetic defect of no significance whatsoever to models to be painted, but I’d like to make sure.

Tokheim:

I've noticed that some whitemetal miniatures have a pale yellow tint to them. What causes it? Is it harmless?

Out of ignorance one could guess that it's down to fluctuating proportions of the ingredients in the alloy, or even cooling time allowed before opening the mould. Likewise, out of ignorance one could guess it to be a cosmetic defect of no significance whatsoever to models to be painted, but I'd like to make sure.

Admiral
Think it might be sulfur from the Daemonic influences???:):):)

Sorry, was watching an episode of "Supernatural" just now! Are the figs pretty new, or is there a chance they could've been in the blister for a while?

Dînadan:

I think it’s either a sign that substandard materials were used or is down to age, but can’t remember which.

gIL^:

Ive had this, I found it’s a product of white metal reacting with paint stripper like nitromors.

white metal is never white after paint stripper :smiley:

Admiral:

Thanks for the replies, folks! The figures in question are newly cast and haven’t seen neither paint nor stripper. If substandard materials where used, they were only used in some casts of the batch.

Grimstonefire:

It’s a substandard metal.

In ye olde days of lead I think the lead models had more yellowing now and then.

Admiral:

Thank you, Grim! A Warseer member shared some thoughts, see below. It would seem there is no cause for alarm.

Could be a few reasons. Amount of copper in the alloy, amount of tin in the alloy and the temperature it was smelted at. That said, I’ve been collecting pewter minis for 20 years now and I’ve painted a bunch of those with a yellowish tint, can’t say I’ve ever noticed any difference to “perfect” ones.

Bloodknight

gIL^:

Once they got a lick of paint on it doesnt matter. i got quite a few yellow minis.