[Archive] You have to read this!

gorgarrak:

From a Greek Wargamer

http://cadia122.blogspot.com/2011/11/bad-journalism.html

I think that this needs Addressing!

cornixt:

I can sympathise. I was the main photographic matter for my uni games society featured in a magazine article about it, as part of the freaks issue. We weren’t accused of being Nazis though, just identified as being freaks and proud of it. The society genrally considered it to be good advertising even if it was negative, because the people they want to join shouldn’t be worried about everyone thinking they are odd.

Murdock129:

Put simply, this is another attempt by some media dementor, whose found something and decided to attempt to portray it in the worst way possible with half quotes, misinterpretations, obvious bias and an attempt to once again stereotype someone simply based on their hobby

It’s honestly pathetic to watch and just makes her credibility drain away near instantaneously

theforgefather:

hat is just horrible, and a little bit upsetting in a way.

Castellan:

People think they have freedom of speech. But insulting gamers is not freedom of speech!

Abecedar:

It just an opinion or an attempt to look down upon they basically couldn’t care less about. The trouble is that too many people adopt some-ones else’s biased or bigotted opinion as their own because they don’t know anything about the subject themselves.

gIL^:

My parents stopped me playing once when they went into a GW and saw the people in there.

My father said “Son we can’t let you go in there! There is a 21 year old man with pink toys” I replied that they were Slaanesh and tried to explain why, Then i was banned till i saw warhammer again when i was 21.

Wargaming will never be mainstream, Keeping it out of the mainstream is what needs to be done, Because frankly no hobbyist is going to be a model citizen in the eyes of what governments deem normal.

I mean we are a group of guys who collect an army so unpopular even the elitist Hobbyist hardly know about them! Chaos Dwarfs? OMG HIDE THE CHILDREN!

I mean seriously try explaining the ethos of the chaos dwarfs to your local MP, Corrupted evil slavers with daemonic engines of destruction craving on bones of the slain to power them. You would be slammed into a loony bin and a law would be made to ban slavery in fiction, We live in an overly sensitive society and thats even before the real world implications of the asian inspiration of chaos dwarfs from their geographical position in the warhammer world to even their stereotypical beards and antagonistic role chaos dwarfs have in the fictional world.

Trust me if the politicians knew about warhammer, Games workshop would be smashed into the ground for Discrimination, Racism, Sexism and all the various isms that are on some cases used rashly. They would ruin gamesworkshop without thinking of the implication of industry or employment.

Skink:

…Come on guys you’re just being a little bit too serious about this:). I don’t need a greek journalist to give a judgement on what I do in my life, plus, there are loads of videogames, movies and books out there that give a MUCH worse example than warhammer does.

I reckon that warhammer isn’t worse than a big screen movie with half naked chicks fleeing from a horde of zombies soaked in blood (sorry I love zombie movies but they are starting to look all the same:)). The zombie movie is just commonly accepted because it costed millions of $$$ and some big name cured the direction.

snowblizz:

I mean seriously try explaining the ethos of the chaos dwarfs to your local MP,

gIL^
One of my best friends is an MP around here. He plays Dwarfs, Orks, dabbles in Chaos. Being a wargamer is way down on the list of things some people hold against him.

Most government is all too happy to have us work for free having activities for kids and youth. Then screw us over by charging insane rents for a locale we've been allowed to have since the early 80s. If I sound a bit bitter it's because we are essentially being evicted as I speak. On the plus side we aren't directly discriminated against, they've tried to or managed to screw over pretty much every similar club or organisation.

gIL^:

I mean seriously try explaining the ethos of the chaos dwarfs to your local MP,

gIL^
One of my best friends is an MP around here. He plays Dwarfs, Orks, dabbles in Chaos. Being a wargamer is way down on the list of things some people hold against him.

Most government is all too happy to have us work for free having activities for kids and youth. Then screw us over by charging insane rents for a locale we've been allowed to have since the early 80s. If I sound a bit bitter it's because we are essentially being evicted as I speak. On the plus side we aren't directly discriminated against, they've tried to or managed to screw over pretty much every similar club or organisation.

snowblizz
Sorry to hear this buddy.

Admiral:

Put simply, this is another attempt by some media dementor, whose found something and decided to attempt to portray it in the worst way possible with half quotes, misinterpretations, obvious bias and an attempt to once again stereotype someone simply based on their hobby

It's honestly pathetic to watch and just makes her credibility drain away near instantaneously

Murdock129
Yes. Journalists today are generally surprisingly craven people. It might have something to do with their education. Bullsh-t, demonizing and ism-damning are extremely common in mass media, I've found. Drawing political parallells to the hobby as she does ought to be laughable for all but the most silly, urbane, trend-sensitive flatfoot. Sadly, common sense is a lot less common than it once was.

I know lots of people of widely varying political opinions that are in this hobby. They're in it not because of "hatefulness" or whatever stamp some journalist might want to force upon them, but because they all enjoy it (and we all happen to be friends). Quite some other people we know think the hobby a bit odd and fascinating in an alien way. Although some do approve of it for the social and craftsmanlike aspects, those who do not would never stamp us crude -isms in our faces.

I guess it takes a certain kind of education to turn out an idiot like that journalist. People definitely aren't brought up that way.

Journalists like that ought to return to Planet Earth, wake up and realize that people want to have a little fun. What's the point in being tense and jumpy and sensitive to the trend winds? What's the point in seeing politics where there are no politics involved?