[Archive] Your life or your job

MLP:

I’ve come to a point in my life where my job is adversely effecting my homelife. I’ve been in this job over ten years and it’s pretty much a lifestyle choice and it means I’m always away from my home, friends and family and it’s starting to cause problems.

I’m basically thinking about leaving my job, now this thread isn’t going to affect my decision I was just wondering what you thought about this.

If you were in a job that you love and had been in most of your adult life, would you leave it if it was affecting your home life or change your lifestyle to better suit your job?

G.2:

The simple rule is: You do what is right for your health and your family. It sometimes that means you give up things that make you happy.

I am very sure there are many stories, about that exact thing from members on here.

Time of Madness:

I found myself in the same situation a couple of years ago. My kids had a lot on the go and I was missing out on different family activities etc.

I was able to change units/sectors and get on a schedule that was better for my family life. Not sure if your employer would offer something along those lines.

Time of Madness

zobo1942:

The simple rule is: You do what is right for your health and your family. It sometimes that means you give up things that make you happy.

I am very sure there are many stories, about that exact thing from members on here.

G.2
This sums it up perfectly.

CopperPot:

I think it depends on what you mean by family life mate do you mean wife and kids or parents.

I like to think that enjoying life with family and friends comes first before working but we all have to work to live right, I spent years in the army but got fed up with being away all the time so I left to start a family and to be closer to my mates and its been the best decision I have ever made.

I work to live not live to work. Happiness is everything

Lava Lord:

MLP, this is in the final, your call.  That said, what has been said is on the theme, that I too needed to consider.  G2 and Copperpot said it very well.  

I would like to add to what has been already said, a word or two.  Your likes and dislikes will change, bet on it.  Even a great hobby like gaming.  It has changed for me.  At one time I’d do most anything for the game and our shop, that changed.  I even had to take a hitaus for a few years.  But I’m back on a smaller scale now…  One needs a diversion, a hobby, and this is a great multi faceted one.

The one constant that one should not loose is family…!  Your parents, cousins, and their families you’ll have.  Children are an always and can be a major blessing.  Don’t let them slip away!  And a biggy is your spouse. All this family should be first and will be there.  Your work may change, your friends, your hobbies, but your family is forever…

Hope this is some help…:hat off

Kera foehunter:

lol There is only one choice… Your life !! you can find another shitty job !! I have a lot of them …

but you only have one life !!!

I want to live my life to the fullest!! so when it time to lay in the old pine box

I can say i did everything i wanted to do x10

Naagruz:

Sounds like you are in sales or energy.

I’m in a similar situation with about 70% travel. It is an extremely tough thing to balance, especially if you have kids. I drive my wife nuts because “vacation” to me means staying at home for more than two days. :smiley:

Are there many other folks in your same line of work? How do they deal with being gone most of the time?

Honestly, if you can swing it, I’d find something local or a position with reduced travel time. That’s my goal. :hat off

Stepper:

I work to have a good life, i don’t live to work…

Stepper

Marduk:

MLP,

You have already made up your mind.

And you have made the right decision.

The sooner you make the changes, the better it will be.

The longer you wait, the worse it becomes and the harder it gets to take the step.

Good luck.

MLP:

Thanks, for all the replies I appreciate it a lot. A lot of very similar comments really copperpot you hit the nail on the head, the job is a means to an end! As you say Marduk, I’ve already made up my mind I just need to get it done!

fairoaks024:

Thanks, for all the replies I appreciate it a lot. A lot of very similar comments really copperpot you hit the nail on the head, the job is a means to an end! As you say Marduk, I've already made up my mind I just need to get it done!

MLP
MLP, best of luck with whatever decision you make.

I was faced with the same sort of decision a few years ago and had to decide between a ridiculously well paid job that didn't allow me much time with the wife, or a change in career, huge income decrease but an improvement in my home life.

I went for the monetarily poorer option.

best decision i ever made.

kind regards

jim

rpitts2004:

I was in the military US Navy and I really didn’t have a choice for my family but we endured, but if you aren’t in the military then you are pretty much free to what makes you and your family happy.

MLP:

Well, I’m currently in the army but I’m in the process of leaving at the moment. Too much time away from my girlfriend, friends and family has taken it’s toll. Not enough benifits for what it takes away, so I’m leaving to become a civy! After 10 years it’s pretty daunting, leaving a secure job with great pay to go into the uncertain UK job market. Should be interesting though!

rpitts2004:

Yeah plus being British and in the military and in the Falkland islands is probably pretty crappy.

CopperPot:

Do you still get resettlement money,I got 5 grand to spend on further education I think.