Dwerrow Zharr -13th Oct - Mini Magma

Ooh I like this idea. Maybe some fur lined boots too

I’ll do the big furs and beards and see if I have any sanity left for details haha :joy:

1 Like

More fur sculpting. By Hashut this is souls destroying work haha. It will be worth it in the end though.

3 Likes

Aaaaand furs done

4 Likes

Im pretty sure normal sane people do much smaller batches of sculpting and troop building :smiley:

What are you going to use to make the bases the same level?
Ive been using a fine polyfiller as i had it lying about, works pretty well and v cheap

2 Likes

Never more than 3-5 if its 28mm… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m going to be using texture paints on the bases. In my experience those little platforms that they are on disappear under a thick enough coat :slight_smile:

If I’m worried I may smooth it out with poly filler as I’m actually using some this week for a DIY job so it will be out any way

They look great! Really cool idea and wonderful conversion work. Looking forward to seeing them painted. Especially love the drummer - a giant skull and a pair of hammers is all the musical instruments an evil dwarf needs!

I also like your idea with poisoned arrows for your decimators. If you ever use models from this army for Vanguard, it could also explain the Reload rule - maybe they apply the poison fresh before each shot? :cd1980:

1 Like

Yes exactly! I figured in most game systems chaos dwarfs use crossbows or handguns which generally speaking fire slower and hit harder. I’m going to make them some kind of giant receptacle filled with poison to make that clear to my enemy as well. I’m a bit of a WYSIWYG fanatic so when I break that rule I like it to be clear that it’s a decent enough proxy that makes sense

1 Like

@Zoddtheimmortal ive continued to use your ideas mate. Polyfilla bases:

There’s going to have to be at least one champion named Zodd in your honour at this rate :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Will your enemies kneel before said champion?

:wink:

2 Likes

Yes - if only so that they are at eye level with the chaos dwarfs haha

3 Likes

Haha thats funny. Wrong zodd though. Maybe you guys dont know who he is? He is a really powerful demon in the manga- berserk. Looks like a balrog in his most powerful form. He loves to battle everyone. Brilliant anime of it on youtube.

The polyfiller on bases is handy, cheap, comes off the feet easy if you miss, but i find you need sand + pva over the top to protect it from bashes at the base corners

1 Like

They will be getting texture paint and varnish - hopefully that will protect it enough :thinking:

Stuck magnets to every base today. Not an exciting job but a worthwhile one!

Also had a little play with colour scheme idea. Ignore the scrappy sketch - it was more the colours and basing I was thinking about

6 Likes

Painting experiment today. I’ve taken the plunge and decided to try out AK streaking grime.

This poor mantic dwarf offered his life so that others may live.

So just to get a hang of the material I covered a large area of the white.

Once dry, I used a cotton bud and paint thinner to remove the top layers

After being a tiny bit more confident i decided to base coat a part of the model and give it a go.

So I painted the spear in basic blocked out colours

Then added the grime

After removing these were the results:

This took me maybe 10 minutes from start to end (using a hair drier to speed up drying time)

Not bad IMO - it probably wants a few highlights to catch the eye but quite happy

I don’t think this is going to paint this army for me. But I do think it will speed up large parts of it and give me a grim dark and gritty look to contrast my AOS army’s bright and cartoony look.

I’m hoping white snowy bases/beards will also contrast the dark and gritty dwarfs well.

4 Likes

It does make great old Armour look. I use basilicanum hrey contrast for this but the AK stuff might be cheaper…

1 Like

Just had a play with yellow. Her it is with and without highlights. Still took only minutes to achieve this look

I wasn’t even considering yellow as a part of the colour scheme but seeing this - I really want to now

7 Likes

Revised colour scheme after discovering the yellow i like. I think shields like this may help play up the Viking feel a little bit too. Uniform colours (because I want my army to have a colour scheme) but a little more variation in design to make feel less uniform if that makes sense?

I’ll be painting my first batch tonight. I’ll post images when they are done .

6 Likes

I like grimey dark shady areas, especially to balance out bright colours.
The overall effect looks the same as citadel black wash from the photos. With the wash i might get more pooling at the bottom as it drips down. Your method seems labour intensive but looks good!

I saw those mantic northern clansman dwarfs. Would fit in well with your units. What are your ideas for cavalry? Centaurs or something else?

1 Like

I like the idea of centaurs but it’s all about picking the right ones…:thinking: