EFD's "Night on Grey Mountain" [BATG2023]

Okay, I am back with some updates!

I am still holding strong in No Mini May, and haven’t bought anything hobby related except this month’s White Dwarf and a pot of Spaceship Exterior from Army Painter (it’s nice).

I’ve been helped along by two things:

1. I told my fiancée about this plan - she’s been asking me suspiciously what I’m up to whenever she’s seen me scrolling through Facebook marketplace
  2. Some friends invited me to play on their Valheim server, which has been awesome.

This has not amounted to being very productive on the painting front, though, and only in the last week or so have I gotten any painting done.

I have two Leman Russ battle tanks on the painting desk at the moment, and they’re currently done up to basecoats and awaiting some shading.

I’ve also finished two models!

The first is a test model for my Horus Heresy solar auxilia/militia:

I started with Grey undercoat, cover everything in Ratling Grime, and drybrush with Spaceship Exterior. The brown is Gore-Grunta Fur, the blue is Stormfiend followed by Talassar Blue. The pants were then painted in with Spaceship Exterior and washed with Soulblight Grey. Then I picked out some details in appropriate colours and painted the metals with Leadbelcher and a layer of Ratling Grime. Hopefully that will prove a scheme that I can reproduce many many times without tiring.

On the other end of the spectrum was the Ultramarine I had planned to enter into a local competition:

Sadly I missed the deadline by more than a week, but I wanted to finish him anyway.

After spending heaps of time on blending the blue, I decided I’d take it easier on the rest of the model and just get him done nicely but not competition quality - so no eyes or wet blending or anything. Actually, I mostly painted him without using a wet palette, just because I was feeling lazy.

He ended up being a 2nd-edition style Ultramarine because I’ve wanted to paint a Rogue Trader style Ultramarine unit for a little while, but kind of had a brain fart while building him and put together a model that really wouldn’t work in the old colour scheme. So, he next most retro option happened. I’m not sure if I’ll end up padding this guy out into a full kill team or do a through-the-ages series or just this one guy. We’ll see what bits I can be bothered gathering, but the blue is definitely nice to paint.

Anyhoo, that’s 2 in the completed pile after a pretty chill month. Hopefully I can find some time and energy to get more done soon, before I lose my self-control and buy more dudes!

BATG score: +65 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

1 Like