EFD's "Night on Grey Mountain" [BATG2023]

Looking really good! I’m with you on the small change, the base model is pretty awesome as it is, would have been hard to improve it any further. Gun for weapon was certainly the right call though :wink:

Tbh I also count sold models (or I have done so this year, usually I don’t sell my plastic crack), as long as I sell an unpainted one. This gigantic pile of unpainted models has to go, preferably by painting them, but finding them a new home with someone who will hopefully paint them is also fine for me. Most likely I will buy something new to replace it anyway. Just from a logic perspective it only makes sense: if I sell something, I’m giving away the chance to paint it. (I think technically I didn’t count as painted but something else)

2 Likes

You’re not wrong, I’ve decided to keep a tally of sold items in detail as well as painted & purchased. These models for sure haven’t been in my “to paint” pile for years, but I’ll keep them on the radar in case I opt to include sold items in the main count.

Today’s update though, is this chappy:

A Justaerin terminator for my Sons of Horus. A full squad of five is on my desk at the moment, but I wanted to finish one before polishing the others up, just to get an idea of the workflow.

Contrast paints are doing a lot of the work here, with Basilicanum Grey as the all-over basecoat, followed by picking out the red parts with white before slapping Black Legion on everything else. Then I based the gold in brown before layering up the red and applying the metallics. Red and gold got a wash of Targor Rageshade, silvers got a wash of Basilicanum Grey, and then I did a very subtle edge highlight on the armour with Incubi Darkness.

The photo isn’t great, but in person there’s a nice coolness to the colour scheme despite all the red & gold.

The other four will follow at some point!

BATG score: +5 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

4 Likes

I’ve been off to hospital this week, but that’s no excuse to stop updating the blog!

Among some other bitz purchases for my Horus Heresy militia project, I picked up three Adeptus Custodes Allarus terminators.

I really just want the banner, and will probably sell them on, but might keep them if I decide I want a fresh painting project. For now, they will count as being on the pile of grey.

Also, the hospital visit was for fairly routine surgery and I am recovering well.

BATG score: +8 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

3 Likes

Apparently I should lock my cards when I am sick because I preordered the new Rogal Dorn tank and it arrived today:

It still only counts as one!

… oh wait, it counts extra in shame golf.

BATG score: +9 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

4 Likes

I’ve tried to do some work on my Justaerin but it turns out I’m still not in a state where I can do a proper painting session. I decided instead to try undercoating some terrain and test out a new primer.

I learned three things from this experience.

1. I was not in fact well enough to attempt this. I am now very tired.

2. Rustoleum 2x paint + primer needs some time to dry before throwing a layer of grey zenithal over the top or else it will dry tacky and maybe never set properly,

3. Double sided tape is not my preferred mounting method for undercoating things with odd-shaped bases, especially not into cardboard.

Sigh

1 Like

Oh no, it could be said anything you learn from is good but I’m sure as hell it doesn’t feel like that until a little while after you’ve done it (for me anyway :grin:)

Hope you start to feel better soon mate. Love those Mythic Battle trees btw, makes for great looking tertian for any game

1 Like

Oh yay! Now I know where to get more trees if I can’t recover them. I just bought them off eBay in a random lot, that’s actually super helpful.

Also, a package arrived today with twenty models:

Ten more Genestealer Cult Neophytes, and ten Tempestus Scions. All to be converted into Heresy dudes when I’m feeling up to it.

Meanwhile, some gentle progress continues on the Justaerin, but nothing is finished yet. I was really hoping I’d be able to churn out that scenery but it’s all still sticky, and will probably need a bath of some kind.

Clearly, I’m front-loading the purchases this year… :melting_face:

BATG score: +29 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

2 Likes

Good news everyone!

The primer took a few days, but it has finally dried properly.

I decided I felt up to try a bit of painting today, so I pulled out the Mythic Battle gnarly trees and figured I could whizz through them with a few contrasts and some drybrushing:

“Whizz” was perhaps a bit optimistic, but with the help of a season or so of Red Dwarf I did get them done. The only tricky part was the bases, since the Grey I have to hand is getting a bit gritty and tricky to work with. I ended up using Contrast and drybrushing over the top.

That’s 8 in the painted column for February!

BATG score: +21 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

2 Likes

Uh, continuing the up-and-down theme, today arrived some more models in THREE separate packages:

• some bases (which don’t count towards BATG)
  • the old Sisters of Battle Missionary model with book on a stick, which I’ve loved since it came out in the first White Dwarf I bought in 1997
  • ten more Genestealer Cult Neophytes for the conversion table

Im pretty sure that’s all the infantry I’d planned to pick up for my initial Heresy Auxilia/Militia force for now, so hopefully when I’ve got my strength up I’ll be able to knuckle down for some proper building and painting sessions to get them done. I want to get a Malcador for the force, still, so maybe I’ll allow myself a Forgeworld order when I hit 50 models painted or something.

For now, that’s 11 more models on the pile - I know I’m not painting enough to keep up but I have an excuse! I still can’t sit up long enough for detail painting, or stand long enough for lots of undercoating, so it may be a little later in the year that I start clearing more models through the system.

BATG score: +32 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

1 Like

Today I received in the post two Horus Heresy Rapier carriers with frag launchers, missing the back platform and the crew.

(EDIT: Aren’t those bases just lovely?)

I have been counting crew in any crew-served weapons rather than the base or weapon carriage (e.g. I counted the new Astra Militarum Field Ordinance Batteries for 3 each), so these won’t be adding to the score until I get some crew members knocked together for them. I’m not actually sure what my plan is, there, so… uh… yeah. This is basically a non-update.

But, y’know, I’m alive.

2 Likes

Since I am very much on a Solar Auxilia kick at the moment (and sitting to paint properly is still beyond me) I’ve spent my hobby time this last week building an Aurox proxy for my Horus Heresy project.

The official Aurox is something like $150 Australian, so I’m very happy to have an alternative!

Not painted though, so no points.

2 Likes

What is the " Solar Auxilia", HH IG?

Yeah, they’re an up-armoured and up-gunned version of the Imperial Guard for Heresy. They’re 100% Forgeworld, too, so I’m trying any trick I can find to avoid having to donate an organ - also I really enjoy conversion challenges, apparently!

1 Like

I built five dudes:

Made from Tempestus Scions they will serve as a Companions for my Solar Auxilia. I need more plasma guns before I can finish the squad.

No painting, more surgery tomorrow.

Yaaaaay.

4 Likes

Hope you’re doin okay mate! Nice job waging war on the grey despite the situation. Big hat off

1 Like

Good luck with the surgery.

Your dedication and skill is impressive

1 Like

I’m still here!

After two surgeries and some recovery time, sitting down for a proper painting session is still painful, but I’ve slipped in a little building and undercoating, and today I indulged in an hour or so of Contrast work.

Working on the next 5 Sons of Horus!

Year of the Tank continues!

Black Orcs for my Chaos Dwarfs!

Because of drying time, I only got three colours done.

But it’s something!

5 Likes

[Ominous chittering]

[Ominous chittering intensifies]

BATG score: +38 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

4 Likes

To clarify, some friends of mine are getting into Kill Team. I’ve pondered the idea of playing Tyranids with big monsters a few times so I thought I’d have a go at a kill team to see if I liked painting gribblies.

Here’s the team all done!

I’ve tried to emulate the bluer Hive Fleet Tiamat schemes I’ve found online (The skin is a lot greyer in person but they refused to photograph properly so I had to fiddle with the colour settings a heap).

Because of my health problems, I had to paint while sitting in the couch rather than at my desk, so I decided I’d go full speed painter and avoid touching anything up as much as possible. They are almost entirely done using GW Contrast paint - only the teeth and bases are done in layer paint.

So, six models done for the month!

BATG score: +32 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

3 Likes

To help enable my Kill Team friends I put my hands up to coordinate a group order, so I popped a few things on there for myself:

A Chaos Rhino for my Sons of Horus and a Nurgle Lord of Plagues because the model is great.

BATG score: +34 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

1 Like