EvilFuzzyDoom’s Devoted of Hashut

I painted two more Hobgrots over the weekend.

They look great but - and I don’t know whether it’s the sculpts or the colour scheme I’ve picked - but these guys are proving to be a hard slog. I’m really wishing I’d built them all with bare heads, because the heads in particular are proving very finicky.

It may also be because I’m VERY TIRED at the moment but for whatever reason the Hobgrot Slittaz have just been a bit rough at each stage of the process. I’m confident that I won’t be getting more after these 20 are done.

14 Likes

I had two pretty big hobby sessions this weekend, but mostly modelling rather than painting. And, not much of it was Chaos Dwarf related.

However, I put down some basecoat colours on the next 7 Hobgrots (I figure, maybe if I just block in the base layers the rest will feel faster?):

Once I’ve figured out how to make painting these not suck, I’ll put together a full tutorial.

Also, I did some assembly & modelling for the Dwarfs with 2-handed weapons (who I’ll end up using as Longbeards or Hammerers):

I enjoyed sculpting the beard very much. I don’t know why I keep putting off greenstuff work! It turns out, I can probably get away with sculpting the beard before putting the arms on (especially if I set the heads back a little), so that will be the next modelling task, I think - something to put the project back on track and distract from these damn Hobgrots!

Other stuff was all non-CD-related so will be covered in my BATG 2022 thread.

13 Likes

Nice update,

Are they the arms from the old marauder sprue?

1 Like

Love the skin tone on the hobgoblins :anvil:

1 Like

@GhraskDragh Yes! I’m using the Marauder arms with the Warrior gloves & helmets. I have quite a few of them in my bitz box from aborted projects over the years, so I can probably get away without needing to buy any more for a while. I considered using the Hammerer arms (since they have bare elbows) but I decided I like painting the grey skin enough that I want more of it on these models.

@Dedled Thanks!

3 Likes

I ain’t dead! I just moved house, and went on a holiday.

While I was out and about, I found a Lammasu on Facebook Marketplace and couldn’t resist picking it up:

It needs a lot of love (curse you, Finecast!) but I’m pretty happy to have it. I’m still not really sure what to do next about my big Teclis conversion, so I figured I’d try and make another smaller Lammasu-riding sorcerer while I figure out what I’m doing.

So, this guy is going on a big oval base (to proxy as an Age of Sigmar Battlemage on Griffon), and getting a scratchbuilt rider. There are lots of bubbles (curse you, Finecast!) and gaps (curse you, Finecast!), and the legs need some gentle reposing (curse you, Finecast) but hey - the great thing about Finecast is that noone will ever know if this is a legit model from the Storm of Chaos reissue or not, because I didn’t ask and I have no intention of finding out (bless you, Finecast!).

In terms of a general situation report, I’ve got a lot of stuff to finish building and not much ready to paint (except for Hobgrots). This new Lammasu, Checlis, ten Dawi with two-handed weapons, and five Bull Centaurs are currently in the “to build” pile. By contrast, the “to paint” pile is sixteen Hobgrots, the Hellcannon plus crew, 2 heroes and the Bale Taurus.

Then, I have ideas about Hobgrot wolfriders made from Chaos warhounds and the new Hobgrots (why?! I hate painting them!!), a Hobgrot hero of some kind, Black Orcs (probably Ironjawz Brutes), K’daai Fireborn (somehow built from Rockgut Troggoths) and more Irondrake conversions…

Which should probably wait until I’ve painted some more stuff!

11 Likes

A lovely model to have, proper history either way

1 Like

I have painted a model!

I decided I needed a break from my Hobgrots after moving house and set my sights on my Bull Centaur, which was the first model I really thought about converting up for Chaos Dwarfs, and is really the whole reason I’m here.

It’s converted from an Ogor Mawtribes Mournfang rider, with a Bullgor axe head and Daemon Prince shoulder pad and loincloth.

I hemmed and hawed for a LONG time about what colour to paint the Bull part, eventually just messing around with mixing some Baneblade Brown into Rhinox Hide, drybrushing Baneblade Brown over the top, and then hitting it with Gore-Grunta Fur contrast paint. The rest is all painted the same as my other Chaos Dwarfs.

It’s a bit imprecise but I think I’ll do a mix of hide colours on the full unit of Bull Centaurs, so I don’t need to have a fixed recipe.

I’ll totally build the rest soon…

Once I get the strength to spend the several hours of dremel work that will require :face_with_spiral_eyes:

15 Likes

I didn’t end up using the Dremel, but I did get the majority of two Bull Centaurs built today:

I am definitely a mad person, because I opted to just use my hobby knife to carve off all the fur on both Bulltaurs, which is the act of a lunatic. I’m physically exhausted and have little vertical lines up and down my thumb. Just the de-furring took 2 hours each!

I wanted to stop at one and try and get some of the sculpting done on it, but I know that if I do that I’ll just take another six months to build up the strength to do this again. At least this way I’ll have three finished in a reasonable timeframe.

I left the arms off this time so I can more easily sculpt the beards and belts. These two will become a second axe-wielder and a musician.

I might have some free time tomorrow to get some more work done on them, so cross your fingers for me.

11 Likes

That’s my man! I always use the knife for defurring/moldlines/cutting-unwanted-sh*t, this is the last thing I did with just the knife:

14 Likes

Woof!
That looks like a hell of a job. I want to wouldn’t try doing it without clippers.

2 Likes

Awesome work!
Seeing those trimmed down models bring back such memories. Blood, sweat and Green Stuff! Thats the way for a true Chaos Dwarf general… :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Respect for the defurring game! Now there’s real love in those nicks and scars.

2 Likes

Fortunately it didn’t involve much bleeding, but there was quite a bit of sweat over the weekend since it was a bit warm here over the Raster long weekend and sculpting is hot work!

I did some more on the Bull Centaurs and clapped together another ten BFSP Warriors while waiting for things to cure and dry:

It was fun to smash out another mob of the Warriors. I haven’t decided if I’m going to do any more but I wanted at least 30 of them so I can run a maximum unit in Age of Sigmar.

The Bull Centaurs have straps, armour and tails, and they still need beards, hooves and arms. Last time around the hooves were a real pain because I tried glueing the model onto the base and sculpting the hooves while waiting for the glue to dry, and the beard was a bit inconvenient because the arms were in the way.

This time, arms go on last - but I’m still not sure of the best way to do the hooves. Maybe I’ll temporarily glue them down to 20mm bases so I can sculpt the hooves and then tear the base to shreds.

Oh, and they need straps for shoulder armour, I guess. I’m very not sure how I’ll do that.

The next project is either my two-hander dwarfs (remember them?) or, if I can figure out a good way to make them, K’Daai Fireborn. I’ll probably start a discussion thread about them to bounce some ideas around.

‘Til next time…

12 Likes

wow, very impressive what you show us in terms of conversions

2 Likes

Thanks Bessron! That means a lot coming from you :grin:

Hopefully someday I’ll figure out how to do good tutorials with pictures, ‘til then the best I can do is WIP shots.

1 Like

I haven’t forgotten about my Dwarfs!

I did a little more work on the next two Bull Centaurs, a beard done, attached them to their bases and did a few hooves.

I’m a bit unsure on what to do for the musician’s beard. With his arms attached I don’t think I can reach his beard - and I’m not even convinced he needs one! The plan is to give each of the six Bull Centaurs different facial hair, and “none” is an option.

I quite like his little nubbly chin, so I mightn’t bother, but… opinions? I left beards off some of my “Irondrakes” and they look a little unfinished, so maybe I should pop one in this fellow after all.

15 Likes

Wonderful conversions all over, and neat paintjobs! Lovely army project, and good to see the Iron Golem CD get some love in your colour scheme. :hatoff:

Perhaps sideburns could suffice for the hornblower?

2 Likes

Thanks @Admiral that means a lot! I’m toying with the idea of some mutton chops maybe? I still have time to make up my mind - although my partner says I should paint on scruffy stubble rather than sculpt something!

But what’s new?

AT LAST the first ten of my Hobgrots are fully painted!

I really struggled with these in a way that I haven’t on anything else. Somehow, they’re just 1000% more fiddly than anything I’ve ever tried my hand at! I suspect that the problem was painting the skin last, so I couldn’t be sloppy at all on the largest part of the model. The next ten will (when I can find the strength) be painted skin first, and I’ll probably hate painting the metals just as much.

Still, they’re done, and I think they look great!

8 Likes

I’ve been mulling over ideas about K’daai Fireborn.

I really want to make something equivalent, but I’m faced with several challenges:

• The K’Daai models are very out of print and very expensive.
  • GW doesn’t have many options for “pillar of fire” (there’s a few cost-inefficient options in Endless Spells but they’re mostly the wrong size).
  • I’ve never sculpted fire before, and while I’m prepared to give it a go, I’m reluctant to bank the entire lower half of a unit on getting good at sculpting fire.
  • There’s nothing that Cities of Sigmar can run which has a 50mm base anyway, except Gyrocopters which seem like a bad fit.

However, @denelian5 has some great, slightly-smaller K’Daai based on the Skull Pass dwarfs with Brimstone Horrors for the heads. I’ve decided to steal the idea, so I have some Brimstone Horrors on the way (buying them separately coat as much as just getting a unit of Blue Horrors, but whatever - I don’t have to find homes for the Blue Horrors now!).

Then the other day, I found Fyreslayer berserkers for half price on eBay. As a bonus, I’d decided that I had over complicated my two-handed weapon dwarfs with the multi piece arms built from Marauder arms, Warrior arms, and brass rod, so I’ll use the Fyreslayer weapons for making them using the Hammerer/Longbeard arms instead (and keep the fanciness to their heads).

So, this is a twofer.

I just need to decide how I’m going to convert these Fyreslayers’ lower halves.

7 Likes