Filmdeg's blog [Table of contents in first post]

Here are my Blunderbuss! I always loved the idea of a blunderbuss when I was a young teen and first heard of Chaos Dwarfs. I was really happy with these overall, even though there were points where I really struggled with painting some of the finer details, and I never did anything with the gun barrels yet. I spent ages trying to figure out how to paint the gun barrels - I found metallic looked too messy, and wood look too dull, and eventually settled on this off-black colour after trial and error.

6 Likes

My Bull Centaurs were actually some of the first models I painted. In hindsight now I wish I had left them till I was better at painting. I’m happy enough with them and tbh I’ll probably leave them as they are, but I think there are a lot of messy parts to them and things I could definitely improve upon. I have the intention of adding a 2nd weapon (hammer/axe) to the centaur in the middle and use him as a champion/hero.

6 Likes

Here is my other unit of Chaos Dwarf Warriors. These were painted first before the other unit, and I think when you compare the two, there is a big improvement in my painting - These ones are missing some areas and highlights that I’ve covered in the “newer” unit. That said, I’m still really chuffed with the champion in this unit.

5 Likes

Chaos Dwarf Lord on Great Taurus! Man I love this model! It was really hard to source, and I ended up having to buy the Taurus in parts from multiple different sellers. I found it was quite quick to paint overall, maybe my paintjob is a little plain. It was actually the first time I tried blending (by myself) where you can see it on the snout of the bull. I was really proud of the rider though, especially his helmet!

7 Likes

Where my army painting began - The Sorcerer. This was one of the first models I painted and I was SO proud of what I’d achieved. It was neat, coherent and had a kick ass colour scheme that I was going to use. Looking at it now I can see so many things I could improve upon, but I don’t think I’ll ever repaint this one, just as a nod to my former self! Maybe one day I’ll buy a duplicate model and paint it up, and have this one on my desk. Sadly no banner pole for this model, still need to source one!

2 Likes

I’m really happy with this Chaos Dwarf Hero - I spent ages trying to get the blue/red pattern on the helmet looking the way it does, and I’m still incredibly proud of that. My girlfriend helped me with the blending on the fire on his helmet - this was something I’d never done before, and she nailed it pretty much first time, so its also a special model for me in that its something we painted together. I’ve yet to add banners to him, I haven’t decided what ones to use yet!

8 Likes

This is my first Chaos Dwarf Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher. I decided to be brave and try some freehand. I wrote “hashut!” on the barrel and, you know, its legible atleast! I always think about going over it and writing something more menacing or antagonizing, but it’ll do for now.

6 Likes

My other Chaos Dwarf Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher! I painted this one almost immediately after the 1st one, and decided to do some more freehand. The missile says “To Karl-Franz” - something menacing and I’ve seen old war photos where troops had written similar messages to their adversaries.

6 Likes

The mighty Earthshaker! One of the most iconic Warhammer models for me. The lead-crew member was painted around the same time as the Sorcerer, and will probably get the same treatment in that I might keep him the way he is for nostalgias sake.

7 Likes

Hobgoblins! It wouldn’t be a Chaos Dwarfs army without Hobgoblins! This is my Hobgoblin Archer regiment. It took me a little while to adjust to painting them, although really the only differences being the skin colour and cloth rags, I found it a little unnerving at first and struggled to decide how to keep them in the same vein as my Chaos Dwarfs, but also keep them unique as a separate race.

7 Likes

The Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower! The Bolt Thrower itself is a bit basic, but I guess it matches the Hobgob aesthetic of being basic! I was really pleased with how the crew turned out though, especially the blue helmet.

7 Likes

Hobgoblin Warriors! As of April 2020 these are the most recent models I finished for the army. The champion is one of my favourite Hobgoblin sculpts and I’m really proud of how he turned out! I also really like the banner on these guys, despite messing it up a bit!

8 Likes

Looking really good with that beautiful and accurately styled old school paint scheme! Very well done!

Wonderful blog, the way it should be done. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks great! Love your colour scheme and paintjob. It really gets the best out of these wonderful sculpts!

1 Like

Such a beautiful army!
You really deserve those Hobgoblins Wolf Riders you’re looking for. :+1:
And we deserve a nice shot of the whole army :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the comments everyone! I started painting my Sneaky Gits this last week, although I haven’t got much done so far as I’m bogged down with work, but planning a nice painting spree this weekend!

1 Like

I started working on my next unit - Sneaky Gits!

I intended on doing the cloaks like Nightgoblins, but still wanted to fit them with my Army. The bright colours make them not so sneaky, but Hobgoblins are sneaky by nature to make up for it!

I tried some uhhh Edge Highlighting on the cloak, which isn’t something I’ve really done elsewhere in the army, I think it works ok. I’ve struggled to achieve the effect I want with the daggers - As they’re poisonous weapons, I wanted to reflect that on the model itself, but so far everything I’ve tried just looked too shit and clunky, or made the weapon look more magical than poisonous. I’m intending to order some resin and uv light from green stuff world and try like a small dripping poison effect. Thats sort of on hold for the moment though given the current state of things. For now I’ll atleast try paint the rest of the unit to this level.

5 Likes

If you’re a Backstager over on BoW/OTT then check out a segment they did a couple of weeks ago on using UHU glue to create liquid effects (blood, drool, etc). Should work well for poison dripping off the blades. :wink:

Failing that, maybe try a wash of green or purple along the edge of the blades to imply poisons.

Whats BoW/OTT? I had seen this tutorial on youtube and whilst the effect is quite exaggerated there, I think maybe a very small little drip coming off the blade could be achieved the same way, and hopefully look effective without look silly, comedic or overkill.

I had tried a wash along the edge, but it either just didn’t give it enough ooomf, or made it look like a magical weapon instead. Maybe its my execution, i just couldn’t pull it off.

Here’s my 2nd Sneaky Git “Finished” this evening - the other one I actually did about a week ago.

Like everything I do, a little messy but :man_shrugging:

4 Likes