Golden Hat XXXVIII: Open Theme

“Light the pyre.”

Warcolours and Sjoerdo Presents: The 38th Golden Hat competition on Chaos Dwarfs Online!

This contest has been sponsored by Warcolours! The gold winner will receive a €30 store coupon at Warcolours, courtesy of @warcolours :

The silver winner will receive an unpainted kit of 8 Evil Little Buggers from @Sjoerdo ! Sculpted by him, cast by Griffin Moulds (art by Joseph Bamborough, not included):

The bronze winner will receive a kit of Hook Monster, sculpted and donated by @ATOM :

Likewise, one fortunate random participant not in top three will receive an evil dwarf painter, courtesy of @Zanko and @Clam :

While one lucky random participant will carry home a kit of Tjubgob Command Set #1 from @Tjub and Admiralty Miniatures:

Similarly, one fortunate random participant not in top three will receive a Chaos Dwarf Bazooka team (bought off the Internet, and suspected not to be originals), courtesy of @Bessron:

In the same vein, one lucky random participant not in top three will receive a Titan Wargames Royal Guard Command kit sculpted by @Baggronor , courtesy of @Bessron:

And finally, another random entrant not in top three (nor a winner of the other random draw prizes) will win 5 Lost Kingdoms Magmhôrin Bul-Thaurs (cavalry size), kindly donated by @Hashoooot :

Subject Matter: Open Theme!

For this contest we want you to enter with anything involving painted miniatures and Chaos Dwarfs, Hobgoblins and all their misbegotten ilk and slaves!

The theme is completely open. Enter war machines, terrain, armies, single characters, civilians, dioramas, warbands, multiple units, ships, objective markers or whatever you fancy. Want to build a big hat workshop? Go for it! Want to model a sorcerous and prophetic rider on Bale Taurus duking it out with a High Elf on a Gryphon while flying high? Go for it! Want to model a Daemonsmith and his apprentices shackling a fire Daemon? Go for it!

Keep it as simple or as complicated as you like. Let your imagination run wild!

If you are unsure if your entry will fit the subject matter, please contact @Admiral and he’ll sort it out with the rest of the Staff.

Basing is unrestricted and up to your discretion. You may include plinths and display bases if you want. You may include fancy backgrounds. We want to encourage the creation of beautiful models and modelling scenes, not hamper it.

Specifics
Subject: Open Theme
Bases: Up to your discretion.
The Due Date: 11:59 PM March 1st, 2022 EST (Eastern Time Zone)

Please read the full rules that apply to the Golden Hat competition before submitting your entry.

Submission
All entries must be sent either to the @GoldenHat account and/or to chaosdwarfsonline ( at ) gmail.com no later than the due date. (Entrants have approximately 8 weeks to complete entries). If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact @Admiral . In order to avoid problems, entrants should not wait until the last minute to submit their entries.

How to Enter
Upload up to 4 photos of your entries to the Internet, e.g. with Imgur or with this forum’s direct upload function. Photos may not have additional digital text or items/models unrelated to your entry. Next, send a PM to @GoldenHat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous Golden Hats).

If you win:

• Walk across the backs of the cowed masses you have scorned and pushed aside, in order to take your place at the top in the vaunted Golden Hat Gallery.
  • Receive the Golden Hat medal for your online persona.
  • Win paints and miniatures! See above for details.

Once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting and determining the winners!

If there are any questions it is best post them here so that everyone can benefit from any details or clarifications that may arise.

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM @Admiral and he will sort it out with you and the Staff.

Good luck everyone!

The Staff

16 Likes

Exciting! This promises to be a interesting competition!!!

6 Likes

I just love open competitions, all themes are great (except for filthy elves), but an outright open contest is so much fun to see what people come up with!
The dark skies have no limit, and neither does the consistently amazing creativity of all of you here.
I’m really looking forward to this one!
And I’m a bit humbled by the over the top generosity of the prizes that people are donating, kudos to each of the prize sponsors, another reason why this is the best group of hobbyists on the web :taurus1:

8 Likes

Oh my word, this is going to be epic!

4 Likes

Heck yes! Bits box here we go…

1 Like

Oh shit, I need to end up second!! How can I do that?!? Aaaaaaaaaa

3 Likes

Everyone be sure to vote Eddy up to first so he loses!

:cry:

Wow very excited to kick the year off with this!

4 Likes

Holy shit! :metal: This promises to be a really awesome GH with lots of brilliant entries! I’m already looking forward to the results! Let’s see what I can make and paint … :beer:

3 Likes

My mind boggles with the thought of what will turn up in this open category…can’t wait!

3 Likes

Walruses will probably feature strongly?
Or owls
Warui? Walrus plural? Idk
(Hippopotamuses like the song)

4 Likes

That’s a great point actually @Zoddtheimmortal given the influence Walhut has over the people in charge of picking these themes I suspect this played a part :cd1991gif:

5 Likes

I… Am… In… Absolutely no clue what I’m going to build and paint.

3 Likes

Themes? You misspelled memes

4 Likes

Shit… I missed a great opportunity

Shit, I have already something in mind, but this could be something entirely game changing.
Must work in favor of my pile of shame, not against!

4 Likes

Oh my! Ok Ill trow in something in the mix! Can we enter more then one thing? (Wait, why not?)

8 Likes

Of course you can. Enter any number of modelling & painting things you want. :smile:

More things may be difficult to fit properly in 4 pictures, but that’s the only drawback.

4 Likes

Unlimited POWEEER! CHACCLES, HEEHEEEE you all bend the knee!!

4 Likes

An open theme. No limits. Creativity Unbound.
Igor!
We are going to need more slaves!

8 Likes

Haaa!

The printer has just spit out the parts for my contribution. The free category is just right and I have no other reason to paint the thing.

Muhahaha the slaves will work and haul day and night.

I am in

7 Likes