I like Big Hats and I cannot lie [2022-01-01]

As some of you may know, a few years ago I came into possession of the core of a Big Hat army. It was a sad story which saw me inherit those models, and for the longest time I wasn’t even aware that there are Chaos Dwarfs slumbering in an unremarkable metal box. When I discovered that treasure, I was equal parts joyous, sad and ashamed. I ended up with a Lord on Great Taurus, a Sorcerer of foot, the amazing hero sculpt leaning on his axe, a death rocket launcher (oddly enough with two sets of crew) and a small unit of metal Chaos Dwarf Warriors with command unit. At this point I already had my Legion of Azgorh and wasn’t really sure how to best use the big hats. But of course that did not stop me from going on eBay and get an Earthshaker, Bull Centaurs and the other hero sculpt. From a user from the old forum I bought a group of Blunderbusses. I also found a second unit of plastic Chaos Dwarf Warriors with command, which I could split up to have one big unit of Warriors and use the command unit for the Blunderbusses. Oddly enough I found a Death Rocket Launcher without Crew, so that came in handy. And to my great surprise I also found a Lammasu for a reasonable price. I still did not know what to do with the army, and now I had some models painted in very different colours, but all in all it’s a very nice little force. I am still missing any Hobgoblins, but concerning Big Hats I feel I have what I need. Then came the CDO meetup and the BATG 2022. A plan was quickly hatched to bring my Big Hats to the meetup and have the army painted in time. Not all models will be in the army, but the goal is still to have all the models painted by April. I meticulously stripped the models with Acetone and LA’s Totally Awesome and my trusty Ultrasonic Cleaner, I even disassembled everything down to the separate parts. I am very happy how this turned out. The 9 identical plastic Chaos Dwarf Warriors were of course super boring, but with the generous help of @MichaelX I could exchange the hats of eight of them with the 3D-printable hat pack. Awesome! Like with my resin models I used 2-part epoxy for the larger pieces, but was only moderately happy with the results. The monsters were fine, but especially the Bull Centaurs had some large gaps. I don’t think it was entirely my fault, since the parts didn’t even fit perfectly when dry fitting. I had to use lots of milliput and even file some stuff away, but the result is acceptable. Yesterday I had to be very quick with a rather shoddy priming session to make use of surprisingly good weather, but the coat is not perfect. The rest I can either do by hand or try again with the rattle can. Only models missing are the Blunderbuss standard, which has a broken banner, and the second hero, which will be converted to a BSB. Here is a group shot as it stands now:

Here is what I have:

• Chaos Dwarf Lord on Great Taurus
  • Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer on Lammasu
  • Chaos Dwarf Hero
  • Chaos Dwarf Hero (Battle Standard Bearer)
  • Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer
  • 22 Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Command
  • 14 Blunderbusses with Command
  • 5 Bull Centaurs with Standard
  • Earthshaker
  • 2 Death Rocket Launchers

These models take absolute priority for painting. The goal is to have them battle ready by April, so I will not paint them to the highest standard. A good colour scheme, base coats, shadows and maybe one level of highlight, at least for the troops. If time allows, I will do more with the heroes, but let’s see how well this goes first.

I feel a great responsibility to restore and paint this army to the best of my ability eventually, in honour of my friend who started the collection.
:cd1991:

15 Likes

Placeholder Great Taurus

Placeholder Lammasu

Placeholder Characters

Chaos Dwarf Warriors

I saw someone use the 3D-printed hat pack to upgrade the plastic Chaos Dwarf Warriors and Michael was kind enough to print and send me some. Look how awesome they fit! Truly we live in the golden age of the hobby

14 Likes

Placeholder Blunderbusses

Placeholder Bull Centaurs

Placeholder Earthshaker

Placeholder Death Rockets

Awesome jasko. Looks promising already

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing more of this

Also best thread name ever!!

2 Likes

Honestly I had to check like ten times and pinch myself when I realized it had not been used yet. Was giddy for two weeks as I prepared for the post :sweat_smile:

5 Likes