Inquisitor novels!

So over the last couple of years, I’ve been really getting into #Inq28. A big part of doing so has been reading Dan Abnett’s Eisenhorn series.

There are currently 8 books in the series:

Eisenhorn: Xenos
Eisenhorn: Maleus
Eisenhorn: Hereticus

Ravenor
Ravenor Returned
Ravenor Rogue

Pariah: Ravenor vs. Eisenhorn

I’ve now read them all, and listened to them all on audio book as well. I can’t recommend these books highly enough! Dan Abnett’s prose is excellent. These were the first Black Library books that I’ve really read thoroughly (if you don’t count the Chaos Dwarf chapters of Grudgebearer, by Gav Thorpe).

Has anyone else read these novels? Or maybe Gaunt’s Ghosts? I’ve heard that series (also by Abnett) is quite good.

As a result of liking Abnett’s writing style so much, I was enticed to start the Horus Heresy books too, and have listened to the first 3 on Audio Book, also quite decent!

1 Like

Read some of the Gaunt’s Ghosts back in the day when they first came out, 3-4 of them I guess. But never really have the time to read these days… :stuck_out_tongue:
Ive heard so much good about the Eisenhorn series, so Ill definitely what the series when they air.

1 Like

Haven’t read the Eisenhorn or Ravenor series, but I do have the the Eisenhorn and first and third Ravenor books on audible (bought the third yesterday in their £3 sale, that’s why I have it but not the second yet).

Read some of the Gaunts Ghosts books years ago and enjoyed them. Nothing brilliant, but still good.

If you want other Inquisition based books then the now OoP ‘Inquisition War’ by Ian Watson trilogy is worth checking out; it’s a bit dated from a fluff perspective (the Illuminati are a big part of it for example and one of the main characters is a Squat) but still worth the read.

Also, not technically Inquisition related but I’d also highly recommend the Ciaphas Cain books; Cain often works for the Inquisition so it gives you insight into what it’s like for ‘freelance’ Inquisitorial Agents to a degree.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for the insights! :slight_smile:

I’ve read the Eisenhorn and Ravenor series. Eisenhorn is great stuff, Ravenor not so much, but it still has gems in it. :slight_smile:

I can recommend Matthew Farrer’s works if anyone wish to read more about internal stuff going on in the Imperium.

Which books of note did Farrer write?

The Ravenor books are less great, I agree. I preferred the audio books to actually reading them. Toby Longworth’s rendition of all of these books is excellent!

Farrer has written the Shira Calpurnia trilogy (Enforcer omnibus) plus some short stories and a Necromunda novel (Lamplighter, found in Status: Deadzone). His writing is mostly about highly evocative worldbuilding true to the spirit of the setting, more than the stories themselves as such. The short story Faces could be a good test to see if one like it.

Eisenhorn is a great choice of flagship Black Library story for 40k, by way. Looking forward to watch it. :slight_smile:

1 Like