Jackswifts - Red Queen's Army - GH XL Entry Gargantuan Bull Centaur Render Musician

Man, I thought I replied to your post!
You had my vote instantly, you had me at confrontation at one instant.
That game bring much better memories than WHFB to me, I enjoyed so much losing with my wolfen and then going crazy with cadwallon.

I knew well the model you were entering, all that range of goblin is amazing, those on the mono wheel thing, and the samurai ogres are amazing

The color scheme reminded me a lot of the original art work, but with a 2020 take on it. Such great model, truly
I fell in love immediately, bravo Jack!!

4 Likes

Lovely choice of bits, lovely conversion and lovely paintjob. What’s not to like here?

A memorable model!

1 Like

Back on the Chaos Dwarf painting/modelling horse. Slow, but at least continuous progress. First, a unit that is nearing completion (and may actually get finished… possibly). I have found my paint schemes are slowly evolving from what started as fairly muted tones to something quite a bit more colourful. Some of this is paint related. My 10 year old GW paints were drying and becoming difficult to reactivate every single time I wanted to paint something so I switched to an Army Painter set which I dislike for multiple reasons, but have learned to use. Recently I picked up a Scale 75 set which are working beautifully. So my paints are a mix of the three + a lesser number of Vallejo, P3, and Reaper paints. You can see the difference between old an newer schemes in @Admiral 's wonderful priestess sculpt next to the unit. The purples on the beards and hair is a new direction… I’m finding the result stands out nicely:

Been doing a few touch ups and moding her to have a magnetic base so I can have her mounted or standalone. May also update the hair to purple tones:

Also concurrently working on basing my Titan Wargames decimator unit, and WIP paint on a unit of counts as Obsidian Golems (KoW units). Her skin tone is nowhere near final:

A little progress is always a good thing.
Cheers!

17 Likes

You certainly are an individual of refined taste. So this makes two recycled blade golems if I’m not mistaken? Perhaps there are more yet to be looted?

My eyeballs can’t repel childhood bits sourcing of this magnitude.

I still have a Red blade golem and a Storm golem kicking around somewhere… however my bread and butter are the 1 (or 9) steam golems I accrued.

2 Likes

Ha, yup, two so far. I’ll have to acquire some more. I have several other mage knight golems for bits, but none are as useful as the blade arms on that particular model. Great bits on some of the models in that line. Still trying to figure out how to fit a unit of mechanical dragonfly riders into my army somehow…

The idea comes first, then I have to go figure out what models will be sacrificed to feed the new creations. That blade golem has been waiting in the wings for quite some time. Though my wife would disagree, it helps to have a large pool of collected unfinished models to work from.

2 Likes

Been a while since I’ve posted here, but hope to do some actual gaming in the not to distant future so should be working up several outstanding units.

But first my Golden Hat XXXVIII Entry. These guys have actually been on my desk for a while. I worked these conversions up as crew when I built the Nautiloid Submersible but never got to laying paint. The concept is a couple of K’daai or Fire golems fitted out with ensorcelled suits for underwater work. Their heat is channeled to power the suits and heat the weapon edges (Think underwater welding heat), and their handler in a CD dive suit. One way valves allow steam to release into the water. A limited time underwater, but effective for repelling borders and cutting through hulls from underneath to sink enemy ships in shallow water for salvage.

Only have WIP photos of the Chaos Dwarf in the dive suit. I picked up a small number Privateer Press Khador ManOWar and Demo Corps models cheap a while back and they’ve been kicking around my bits box since. The dive suit started as one. I chopped the legs down to just thigh and feet but as you can see the first iteration was still too tall:

So I the also chopped off the pipes and ball in the joint and mounted thigh armor directly to the bottom of the suit. So much better on height:

The arms on the CD are also chopped slightly between that shoulder and elbow. I combined the shoulder pads for a shield. And chopped up the two handed cannon + a small cut of aluminum tube to make a large single hand-mini cannon. Leaving the shoulder and elbow joints bare heightens the dive suit look.

The fire golem/k’daai suits are original Titan Forge Sons of Krashen Va ‘Chosen’ models minorly converted.

On one the axe haft was extended with styrene tube, and the flaming skull head was cut down to be more flush with the neck opening. Left the head cover off, and added a few hafts sticking out of his back from combat. On the other I used a GW brazier flame for the head and then enclosed it under the eye view piece from a smaller scale Pegasus Hobbies Nautilus model that I gutted for bits sometime ago.

You’ll notice bits of grit and corrosion on the K’daai/Fire Golem models. I base coated these at the same time as I base coated the Nautiloid, and used a similar technique with the sand to give them a few spots where the saltwater and heat has started to build up and corrode the paint and metal:

Plan to upsize the basing a bit and add 3 more models to make a unit. Cheers, JR

18 Likes

These are lovely painted, very original idea. Very steam punk to fit in with other elements of your army. The shortest one wouldn’t look out of place in a chaos squat army too

2 Likes

Brilliant constructs !!! Very cool

2 Likes

I would love to have a unit of iron golems like that and maybe field them as K’daai under LoA rules. Very well done!

2 Likes

I had wondered where the minis to your post came from

The conversions are ingenious and the colour and the “rusty” parts are very good.

Cool team, I look forward to seeing more of them.

2 Likes

As always, I’m impressed and amazed at how seamless you kitbash different bits together.
I honestly thought that these were CD squats…it hadn’t occurred to me that they were undersea divers. I was thinking how cool that someone came up with an idea for spacesuit fireborn (no oxygen for fire in outer space after all).
But underwater?!
Now that’s brilliant.

3 Likes

Absolutely lovely. All are great, but my favourite has to be the one with the grid helm. Fantastic. Watch out Idometh Sea Elves we are coming for you!

2 Likes

Likely have a KoW game on the 4th. Let see how much of this I can get done before then and boost the BAtG as well:

Just a bit more to go on this one:

Will post up lists once I have a better idea what will be ready. My gaming group is painted models only - on the tabletop.

I need a minimum of 4 more units done to field what I have in mind.
Cheers, JR

9 Likes

Lovely K’daii divers! A most worthy entry. And as always, an eclectic, lovable army. Always full of inspiration. Best of luck painting!

1 Like

Thanks very much for the comments on the K’daai gentlemen. Always fun to see different opinions on the same models. @Zoddtheimmortal and @Fuggit_Khan it’s interesting to hear that your brain went straight to Chaos Squats in space. I guess since the original versions were from a fantasy setting (if more Steampunk) it didn’t even occur to me, but I can totally see it now. Happy with how they came out, and nice to finally have a crew for my Nautiloid. Still have to paint the Captain and build three more of these. At least one more will have the grid helm. A great bit which I would happily take more of.

1 Like

The others are still WIP, but one unit finally finished. This has been one of those units that has been ridiculously long to finish. Started this unit over 2 years ago but somehow was hard to get motivated. I only ever made tiny bits of progress before moving onto some other models that held my interest better.

Will likely change to a simpler scheme for future RA models. Most of these guys use something between 18 and 20 colors which is probably a bit much. Who am I kidding, I’ll probably do it again.

Come a game on Monday, my first KoW game in more than 3 years and finally was motivated to finish the unit.

The hound had only primer. Quite happy with how he came out (a visual representation of mutated throwing mastiffs in KoW which get hurled at opponents once per game to bite and attack). I envision this 3 headed monster at a command suddenly leaping to the front of the unit to maul the enemy at a key point.

Calling it done. Glad to have this one behind me… finally.

For BATG the 16 troops are not totalled, but noted on my personal blog. The hound, who had just primer on before, is counted.

Cheers!

14 Likes

Minor update. Finally got my Gargoyles - One of the Abyssal Dwarf army unit options for KoW - built and ready for paint. Made from Reaper harpies, Chronopia Devout demon wings, and the leader is IIRC (and I may not be right on this one) a Chainmail Dark Elf converted with wings just the right shape from a very old school 1994 succubus (no idea on the manuf.), and a reaper bones spear:

Hope to have these painted for my game on the 12th. Cheers, JR

11 Likes

10 minis painted in such short time? Impossible!! The sacred text forbids it!
Grest bash on this unit!

1 Like

That will be a good looking unit! Hopefully theyll see more tabletime than mine, They always tend to die a quick death! :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

@tjub I usually place them outside of opponent range but inside of theirs, and try to use them primarily for flank/rear attacks, holding nasty units at bay for a turn, or contesting/collecting objectives. As you noted, once in combat they have a tissue paper lifespan.

1 Like