Jackswifts - Red Queen's Army - GH XL Entry Gargantuan Bull Centaur Render Musician

This is the actually the 1st time i have seen your blog. Very unique take on the chaos dwarves- i like the mix of different styled units. Lovely painted and converted stuff. Glad you have got your mojo back to start painting again.

I see you are bringing in new colour schemes to your blunderbuss unit. I definitely recommend this to keep it interesting by mixing things up. I paint mine 1 at a time rather than batch painting to accomplish completing something regularly keeping me interested

1 Like

That’s cool. I’d obsess too much over them looking similar enough :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Great army @Jackswift . Looks very well made.

1 Like

I do not even know where to start to describe the coolness of the submersible! Amazing :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

And the magama cannon concept: briliant!

2 Likes

@Zoddtheimmortal I completely agree. It’s part of the reason why I often alternate colors when I do paint units. And I usually paint the command and unique models separately (which is sometimes half my unit), and a couple of test models, and then do the remainder in a more assembly line fashion.

Thanks very much for the comments gentlemen

1 Like

Another Golden Hat, and another large model (I really need to do more units, but large models are so much more fun to paint and build).

Presenting my entry for GH XXXVI. Was hoping to place, but was a rather skillfully wrought field on this one, so the quest for that elusive Golden Hat continues. This particular “Siege Giant” was designed with the “Siege” element in mind. The model is a Titan Forge Infernal Golem with several siege specific modifications. The model is based on a custom 100x75mm base with pins to a 50x50 lava base skewed to the right side to offset the significant lean of the model, and cork to make up the rough edges of the lava island. A few WIP shots:

The first was a modification of the 4 hand axes wielded by the original model. Instead two on the left side were replaced by a double hand wield Steam Piston Hammer crafted with ah handle of plasticard + the original ax handles and a hammer head made from the head of a Reaper Bones “Burrowing Horror” land shark, one of the spare axes, and parts from a Krieg FW mortar to form the piston portion of the weapon. The second modification was the inclusion of a DnD Fire Giant Dreadnaught Burning Shield in the lower arm on the right side:

The third and final siege modification was a Sweeper style gatling weapon made from a maulerfiend weapon with the rotary cannon front from an Emperator titan, + various metal washers, a bionical bit, and a plastic wheel making up the feed mechanism. The ammo tub has a wheel mechanism for reloads. A kdaai, daemon, or driver operated golem could then operate such a mechanism for as long as there were loads in the barrel:

The only other modification was the addition of the screaming exhaust stacks from the maulerfied. and a lego bionical cap for the existing lower profile stacks:

And the fully painted model:

Thanks for looking. Cheers!

16 Likes

Lovely built! It’s a sweet giant.

Doing units is so much more demanding then a large model, isn’t it? The only upside to doing a large unit, if you keep track of painted vs unpainted model count like me, is it shifts the percentage painted models a huge deal :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Really impressive build, I especially like the bits used to bash together that hammer. It definitely looks like it would do a pile of damage to any walls or gates in its way. Really seamless integration of a lot of great bits. The blue green tones brought into the paint scheme are very effective as well.

1 Like

@MichaelX I really do fully agree with you re large vs small models. I have a blast with large models, units tend to be a slog. I have 9 painted large warmachines or monsters, 2 characters and only 2 fully completed units for my army. I’ve had 7 separate units work in progress for the last 2+ years and haven’t completed any of them (1 is 75% complete and I am now actively working on it; and I do have several finished models in many of them). They are now my focus. Hopefully the upcoming summer battle with my gaming group will help me knock out 5 or so of those. I think I will have to try @Zoddtheimmortal suggestion and paint one at a time. And seriously considering starting a BATG thread.

@Reaper appreciate the compliments on the build. The blue green verdigris is intended to bring in a bit of complimentary green to the primary red on the model. Something I’ve used on other models in my army with success.

4 Likes

Batg helps most definitely. I usually finish what I’m working on before moving forward. I also try to switch between a unit and a large model. For me that gives enough variation to keep me going

2 Likes

Id batch dry brush the bases and maybe brown shoes or axe hafts. I just have to feel the sense of accomplishment often or it feels too much like a hard grind. Ive tried batch painting gobbos for years. Painted way more in 1s-2s faster and to a better standard with less brush wrecking…(maybe?)

The best bit about painting for me is putting the finished model in the glass cabinet. Just aim for minimum useable regiment and add 1 here and there. 10 becomes 20. Its almost a suprise when i get there. Im turning my 20s into 40s now. As each model is different its fine and rewarding. Maybe ill have an army to rival zanko one day :hashut:

2 Likes

I know he has the 10k badge but I have no clue as to what he actually has :slight_smile:

Whip your printer a bit and you’ll be there in no time!

Printing isn’t the issue… painting it is :rofl:

3 Likes

Related to the Image Gallery updates, I am working to get several pieces of my army that have not been seen or are only on the old CDO forum updated here.

Monsters - I.

1. K’daai Destroyer, Greater Obsidian Golem, or Greater Earth Elemental
    CDO Forum Link - K’Daai Destroyer images/build notes

My entry for the Artisans XXVII Contest to build a Chaos Dwarf “Monument”. This model works well as a Chaos Dwarf statue on the table top, but can also fill the role of multiple monsters on the table top depending on the game system in use:

14 Likes

Golden Hat XXXVII Entry - Hobgoblin Khan on Giant Wolf-Rat

Warning - Pic heavy (as my posts tend to be)

Below is my entry for Golden Hat XXXVII, in its initial conversion stages. As many of you well know, Hobgobs are probably my least favorite part of CD lore. In part because they typically lack the steam-mech-armor-stone-fire elements that draw me to the models and fuel my conversion ideas. I struggled to decide what specifically to build, and while I have a few other ideas that will see the light of day another year, what I ultimately I was finally able to get excited was due to a packing error. Goblinoid models make up a very small part of my collection, but I’ve had a sealed NIB Rackham Confrontation Baron Ozhon 2.0 model sitting in my collection for years (even came very near to selling it). I decided it might be a good place to start, but was initially very disappointed when I opened it. The model should look like this:

However, due to a packing error likely a decade distant, both the sword and gun arms of the model were completely missing, as well as the arm holding the haft of the open umbrella, leaving me the closed umbrella arm, the open umbrella top, and an additional arm not in the picture holding a sort of jousting spear. The missing pieces killed my fervor for the model.

It was only with the addition of the hats of @Fuggit_Khan to the potential prizes that I again decided to make the attempt with roughly a week remaining. Eventually I came back around to this model and while trying to decide what to do with the arms, I realized the missing arms were a great opportunity for conversion and begin scrounging bits. The missing right arm was replaced with a socket to hold the umbrella (essential on the battlefield to keep off the blistering northern sun). I chopped up a Wrath of Kings Shael Han model (this guy):

WoK Shael Han

for the sword, stack, socket, and backpack. The second right steam saw blade arm is from an old Mage Knight Blade Golem, and is actually attached to the backpack behind and lower (abdomen level) than the socket arm. The result is clearer to see in the build and primed pics below than it is in the final painted version (a testament that I always have alot to improve on re painting):

The left arm came from the jousting spear arm (sans hand), and the umbrella haft is the jousting spear customized to allow the open umbrella top to slip on. The last step was the sashimo (bit from?), because every samurai-esque assassin Khan needs a sashimo:

A few PIP shots to show the arm bit clearly:

And finally the painted model, including some additional shots from other angles. I was down to the wire on the last night of the contest, and could easily have spent several more hours on the model. There are many places clearly evident in several of the close in shots that need work:

Hope you enjoy, and thank you very much for the votes! The Rackham models are always quite fun to convert and paint with so much visual interest sculpted into them. Now, I need to acquire some more Rackham “Strohm Knights” to complete a unit of these.

15 Likes

Great entry, I voted for it. I toyed with buying these mounted models several times over the years. Cadwallon still sell them. I like the bright colours and the baron really stood out as a unique personality to me. I’d love to see you complete a regiment of them. Great job!

3 Likes

Really nice. Great to see hobos go steampunk too! I also can’t wait for a regiment of these.

3 Likes

I’m glad that my Big Hats were enough to encourage you to enter. It’s a really good entry, and it was in my last minute choices for voting.
I hadn’t realized how many bits you cobbled together from so many different miniatures…very clever and seamless. I honestly thought it was just one model that I’d never seen before.
And kudos for the samurai influence :+1:

3 Likes

This was my 2nd favorite, only because it was lower on the list. I love this model! well done mate! well done!

1 Like